Urban Chilli Lovers Club

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by UnderAnOpenSky, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Cheers :thumbs:.

Got a massive Kilner full of chillies, garlic and a few diced peppers.

2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Good timing - I now have a couple of grafted pepper and chilli plants to try. Popped by the GC near he hospital after my physio and there they were! :D

Whagwan and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Our greenhouse is almost finished. Not only that but I bought a copy of the Royal Horticultural Societys book The Red Hot Chilli Grower and my other half has taken an intrest. Which is excellent as she went to college and now grows stuff professionally, so I'm hoping for some decent results.

I bought some little chilli plants from a garden center a few weeks ago, but think im far to late to get the serious ones growing this year?

Badgers likes this.
  4. UnderAnOpenSky

These have been going for a few weeks to do my next batch of sauce when I run out...

15281871771056574642759028486045.jpg

pogofish and Badgers like this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

Got excited on a trip to the Chinese supermarket yesterday. Looking forward to making sauce out of this lot.

20180616_092641.jpg

pogofish and a_chap like this.
  6. pogofish

I got my first batch of a chilli jam under my belt last night - Apple/chilli, using all chillies from my greenhouse.

Initial tests seem delicious and nicely sweet/hot but I may have heated it too long, so it will set too well. It kind-of looked like The Blob when I poured! :oops:

So I've repeated the process again but with pear and apple. That should make for a softer jam.

Next challenge wil be a clear jelly but I may do a repeat of the initial batch for a softer set first instead. :)

If these work, I may need a bigger pan as I can only make about half a dozen jars each time and they won't last long!

Whagwan and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  7. UnderAnOpenSky

Sounds great, you should post some pics!

I've got a jar in the fridge that some friends made, but can never decide what to use it with. The only thing I've put it with so far is burgers.

8. pogofish

Here is the finished product:

[​IMG]

I'll photograph the process when ive got it off-pat.

Now I just have to sit on my hands for two weeks until its matured properly. :(

Chilli jam goes with so many things - burgers/steaks, yes but many meats, hot and cold, plus it goes superbly with cheeses, hummus etc, esp the sweet/hot types.

Chilli.s, Whagwan, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  9. pogofish

The pear/chilli jam is just about perfect and tastes delicious, with the chill kicking in slow and warm after a great sweet/sour pear taste.

It has lost a bit more chill punch than in the two weeks sitting than I expected, so next time I will use a bit more chilli's - maybe half as much again or a hotter variety.

The apple chilli was a bit overset but could still be spooned and went very well with venison, cheese and fried chicken, less so with a pie and chips.

UnderAnOpenSky and a_chap like this.
  10. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I made another batch of chilli sauce this week (sorry no photo) because I appear to have started using them as pasta sauces - hey! let's pour a whole jar over this - I really should be sectioned. Anyway, I *PROMISED* myself that I'd make it less stupidlyfuckinghot than the last couple of batches.

...and I failed :(

For those of you old enough to remember, tackling my chilli sauce is starting to resemble this:

[​IMG]

Chilli.s, Whagwan, Badgers and 3 others like this.
  11. pogofish

Another lot of ripe chillies, so I've been busy tonight!

[​IMG]

That's eleven jars of Pineapple/Chilli jam laid aside now.

Basic recipe is pineapple, home-grown chillies, apple and lemon (for setting), ginger, garlic and Barbados rum.