1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ups an downs...

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

That may, or may not, affect us:

From our current division relegated are Harrow Borough, Canvey Island, AFC Sudbury & Grays Athletic.

Bye, bye Harrow! It's been a long time to wait! Back at the old ground, when we had an emergency safety certificate for just 300 spectators in the centre of the old wooden stand, and they took no more than 20 fans away on a good day, they insisted on 100 seats in the centre of our stand being sectioned off for their supporters. Now matter how they might change I will ALWAYS view them as a petty vindictive club and have waited for them to be relegated ever since!
    Canvey Island. Nice ground, shit place to visit and slightly arrogant people there...and one really annoying right-wing cunt of a fan called Andy Wilkins. Lovely to see them slip into the relgation dogfight so late on...and go down on the last day! From my visits I always found Concord Rangers, also from the island, to be a much more welcoming and friendlier club, despite smaller crowds.
    AFC Sudbury...missed out on our visit there, so sadly didn't get to their ground. so can't really comment on them.
    Grays Athletic...previously run by a shyster, then 'saved' by Andy Swallow of ex-ICF shame. Last season he threatened a 79-year-old Jack Payne. Great to see them struggle, would rather they sunk to the Essex Senior League, rather than mount a promotion challenge.

At the bottom of National League South Gosport Borough, Margate & Bishop's Stortford are down.

Presume we'll get Margate, possibly either of the other two, as on the edges of the Isthmian footprint.

The thugs & muggers won Division One South, while those play-offs are Dorking Wanderers, Greenwich Borough, Corinthian-Casuals and Hastings United.

Anyone who like to go to new grounds should go to Dorking Wanderers for their play-off semi on Saturday, as they are moving into the old Dorking FC ground next season. Greenwich Borough would be local, don't mind the Casuals & Hastings is a nice fading seaside town. So not too fussed.

Whilst, in Division One North Brightlingsea Regent lifted the title; the play-offs to be contested by Maldon & Tiptree, Thurrock, AFC Hornchurch and Haringey Borough. Brightlingsea a new ground for me. As would Maldon & Tiptree, may go there Sunday, if they make their play-off final. Not keep on Thurrock, although a reasonably friendly club. Haringey Borough would be an easy London club to get to.

Ideally we'll be in the National League South ourselves though...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Any talk of teams being reprieved due to finances elsewhere?

3. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Post of the year

4. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Thanks for the summary Mishi.

5. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

think your friend mr wilkins has changed his allegiance to great wakering rovers . i'd call that a 'lose-lose' situation .

6. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Merstham just deducted three points so survive on goal difference only.

7. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

"Grays Athletic...previously run by a shyster, then 'saved' by Andy Swallow of e-ICF shame. Last season he threatened a 79-year-oldJack Payne"

ffs Andy swallow never knew that a "face" from the past
    Will pass this info on to some of the wall lad
    79 ! Danny dyer would be proud

8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard about that before. What on earth prompted it?

Could get all three, or Margate and one other, or just Margate depending exactly how the FA chose to realign the boundaries. Royston Town, who won the Southern Premier, is also very close to our catchment area. There could be a fair bit of sideways movement as the Southern League Central play-offs include Farnborough and Egham, both of whom have been recent Isthmian League clubs.

9. Cyclodunc

There was that ridiculous penalty conceded by jordan brown at theirs last season . Heard some raised voices from the video footage the local paper posted

10. Cyclodunc

11. Dulwich Mishi

"I hadn't heard about that before. What on earth prompted it?"

It was when there was all the shenanigans on the bench, and he gave verbals to Jack at the final whistle, which shook Jack up a fair bit. But Jack, being the gentleman that he is, didn't want to make a fuss or an issue over it. Which is why those of us who knew didn't discuss it openly at the time, out of respect to Jack.

"Could get all three, or Margate and one other, or just Margate depending exactly how the FA chose to realign the boundaries. Royston Town, who won the Southern Premier, is also very close to our catchment area. There could be a fair bit of sideways movement as the Southern League Central play-offs include Farnborough and Egham, both of whom have been recent Isthmian League clubs."

Indeed, it really could be quite a number of clubs being in either league's overlap. I simply couldn't be arsed to work out all of the permutations. ;)

12. Pink Panther

The FA seem to prefer moving as few clubs as possible, and allocating clubs to leagues/divisions where they will have a few local derbies. Now Havant have gone we're probably unlikely to get Gosport, who have never been in our league before. We'll probably get Stortford, which is pretty close to Harlow. Royston will probably go into the Southern Premier along with Hereford (Southern SW Division champions) plus the two play-off winners and Worcester City, relegated from Conference North.

pompeydunc likes this.
  13. Dulwich Mishi

All makes sense...but often what the Football Association appear to do doesn't... ;)

14. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

One of two times I have won the 50-50. However, when I went to collect, the seller had gone home already. They had sold a lot of tickets - saw the bucket. Just had a tenner shoved in my hand from somebody from the boardroom. Thieves.

The other was at Wingate & Finchley. Won a crap bottle of wine. How is that 50:50?!

Cyclodunc likes this.
  15. Dulwich Mishi

" No-one likes you, we don't care..." ;)

I once won the 50/50' at Haringey Racers ice hockey...and got given £12!

Was one out of the goalden goal at Thurrock last night. Grr!

16. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Dorking Wanderers totally out played by Corinthian Casuals in front of 900ish in Ryman south final play offs
    but Wanderers win on penalties and promoted to Ryman Premier League
    Dorking's key player Goal keeper - Slavomir Huk.

17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Unsavoury scenes at end as man swings for kids.

In middle of pitch.

18. Cyclodunc

Why were you on the pitch?

19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Haha had already restrained one of their fans who had gone on the roof. He was a good lad, big heart.

Unlike mr fisticuffs :)

Cyclodunc likes this.
  20. Pink Panther

And Corinthian Casuals totally outperformed by Dorking Wanderers over 46 league matches this season. Never been a fan of play-offs!

That ground was 'cosy' with 250 in it for an FA Cup Qualifying round game a couple of seasons ago. I still can't believe it was passed fit for our league.

the 12th man likes this.
  21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Someone told me they are moving to a new stadium next year.

22. Pink Panther

I believe it's a refurbished Dorking FC ground in the town centre. Hamlet played Dorking FC there several times, most recently in 2004/5 before they were relegated to the county league. The ground has been derelict for several years now:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Radical-Cliff, editor and B.I.G like this.
  23. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Thurrock won the Division One North Play-off Final today, beating Maldon and Tiptree.

So we'll be going to Thurrock one way or another next season.

YTC likes this.
  24. Pink Panther

It's the ground where we played Romford in the FA Trophy (and lost) during our promotion season. On the same bus route from Rainham station as for Aveley, but a mile or two further on. Would much rather have had Maldon, which is a nice day out in an historic old town with the ground not far from the town centre.

Looks like our new opponents will be Bishop's Stortford and Margate (from Conference South), Dorking Wanderers and Tooting & Mitcham United (from D1S) and Brightlingsea Regent and Thurrock (from D1N), notwithstanding anyone winning the "AGM Cup".

25. YTC

YTC Human Man

Where do Gosport fall into things?

26. Pink Panther

Will probably go back into the Southern League, from which they came up a few seasons ago, although apparently they have financial problems and may drop back into county league football - I haven't been following the story closely enough to know the details. Alternatively they could come into our league instead of Stortford with the latter going into the Southern, but they've never played in our league and Stortford have never played in the Southern and the FA tend to allocate clubs to their 'traditional' leagues where possible.

27. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

One possible lateral move is Harrow Borough to southern league - div 1 central (step 4). Would be better for them as several clubs in vicinity of NW London, rather than traipsing to Essex.

YTC likes this.
  28. keith1

keith1 Well-Known Member

There will need to be some sideways moves at Ryman div 1 level as all 4 teams relegated from the Prem Div fall north of the river. Assuming they are all placed in D1N then 2 teams will need to be switched to D1S. I suspect these would be VCD and Pheonix Sports due to their being next door to each other and in Kent.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Has - or when will - a definitive list of our league for next season be produced?

30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

FA usually agree it before the fixtures come out I think - which is ages.