Universal credit - health assessment?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Robert Rodes, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Robert Rodes

Robert Rodes What's going on, where am I?

Hi guys, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place (first post ever).

I am on universal credit yet my Doctor has had me signed off as unfit for over 3 months so I guess that's why I was called to a health assessment.
    Anyway, I rambled on a bit, told the woman (medical professional) what was going on with me and my mental health.
    At the end, she said, she was recommending that I am not fit for work or to look for work but the DWP will make the decision.
    A mate of mine, who is probably being negative said "nahh well my assessor said all sorts of things and then the opposite came out in the report..."

If this is a 'good thing', does anyone know what will happen? I have not been told by any advisor etc.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

3. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

If this was a Work Capability Assessment thing, I *think* it's very unusual for the "health professional" to tell you what their recommendation is, so that sounds sort of good. Unfortunately, your mate makes a very good point too. Still, IF your assessment is not what you think it should be, you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

More knowledgeable people will happen along later, I'm sure. Fingers crossed for you anyway.

crossthebreeze and Robert Rodes like this.
  4. Robert Rodes

Yeah thanks man. The same guy has told me his doctor stood up for him and he has also told me his doctor(s) say he is making 'it' up. So he has contradictory anecdotal 'evidence'. Plus his assessor didn't tell of their recommendation. It was at the health advisory service. Lots of unwell people waiting around. Obviously not pleasant. I have just never done this before and I do not know the ins and outs of Universal credit. I simply do as I am told.

5. Robert Rodes

But yes, Celyn, it was a work capability assessment. As my Doctor had deemed me unfit for work for over 3 months whilst on Universal credit. So they must obviously want to assess you. Which perhaps means you could possibly get additional money? I am not yet to grips with it all and my advisor at the job centre isn't either as in my area it has not fully rolled out and the DWP seem to be keeping their own advisors in the dark and tell them, to tell 'us' to "call the number, call the number". Pain in the arse :/

6. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Be aware that welfare rights organisations probably know more than DWP staff when it comes to Universal Credit at the moment so if you get an outcome you’re not happy with then get in touch with citizens advice or your local law centre for support.

Sasaferrato and Robert Rodes like this.