1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unite for europe march, saturday 25/03/2017

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by isvicthere?, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty For Ethical Capitalism

Can't be voting leave with those dreadful Nationalists.
    There'll be some dreadful Nationalists in Central London on Saturday. Let's see how many can be arsed to show opposition to that.

2. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

I normally admire your analysis if not your conclusions. So I suspect you are having fun with this post.

Some people voted out for cost reasons. Not all, nor a majority. But to deny that now risks feeding the dragon of far right popularism.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Does it have to be a revelation? Sometime people just want to let their exasperation out. Like the other day when I ranted to my brother about union members who do FA and then complain about the union not getting a decent results. It didn't achieve anything bar getting it off my chest.

Steph can speak for herself, but I don't think that feeling depressed/annoyed/exasperated, and vocalising those feelings, that people are marching in support of a neo-liberal institution and getting mugged by the party that transferred wealth from the poor to the rich is "whataboutary". And for what it's worth I feel much the same as steph.

mather, stethoscope, coley and 2 others like this.
  4. chilango

chilango rdgXhc

It is disheartening to see.

It raises a few questions though:

• Are the people who went on this march the same people who coulda/shoulda/woulda mobilise against austerity?

I have two friends who went, both Labour Party activists. One will, in conversation, defend the local Labour council's cuts. The other will oppose them.

• Are tame A-B marches like this an appropriate response to austerity anyway?

I'd argue that at best they're only a starting point, but at worst a distraction - and a dangerous one at that.

• Is anything being built from this? Networks? Future action? Anything?

Well, the Lib Dems perhaps :(

Just some thoughts.

coley and redsquirrel like this.
  5. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

He's able to say that Farage doesn't think that east and south Europeans are white enough and then post a poster of Middle Eastern refugees up to try and prove it

A380 likes this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Do you remember all that hysterical if we leave the EU we won't be allowed to do Euromillions or enter the Eurovision guff that was around lol?

7. gosub

gosub ~#

See, I'd say thats something we need to talk about. Even when watched in a 'post modern ironic way', at the end of the day, its still watching shite. But after the genuine trauma of losing Bake off, pulling out at this stage would probably be too much for some sections of society to bear.

However, all the column inches that are about to be written using our score and position as some sort of tea leaves about Brexit, just fuck off now.

8. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

Yes it was pretty MC. yes it was seemingly sponsored by the LibDem vermin. yes there was a bit of naivety about the nature welcoming bosom of the EU - but the best part of the day was getting the kids into the habit of going on demos - I try as best I can to get them used to it. Have to break them in gently, this was Shrek 3D as opposed to a Straw dogs experience. I may not have agreed with what was going on & maybe many of the attendees were not suitably politically nuanced, but it was a nice day out for the family

A380 likes this.
  9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

next time its molotovs and masks at the G20 right?

A380 and not-bono-ever like this.
  10. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

They are barely teens but .....

A380 likes this.
  11. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty For Ethical Capitalism

The thousands who mobilise against Trump and Brexit had better things to do when the EDL/BF marched through London last week it seems.