Unisex Toilets in Schools

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Jenerys, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

I am listenting to the radio this morning and apparently gender neutral toilets are being built in any new schools and any that need renovating are being made into gender neutral toilets. This is apparently to help combat bullying.

I am not sure how I feel about this. My initial reaction is that it's not fair on girls who may be starting their periods. I think I'd feel more awkward knowing a boy was around and may be aware of what I was doing in the cubicle next door in terms of changing a tampon.

And surely the causes of bullying should be sorted, rather than thinking boys wont bully other boys if girls are around....

2. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Its fine if they are self contained rooms with a sink etc.

However, I did a course at a Bristol secondary school a few years ago that had unisex toilets, open plan cubicles basically off the corridors with a row of sinks in the middle, and even as an adult in a pretty much empty building it wasn't a nice experience.

3. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I would not be happy for my daughter to have to use these, the boys and girls are by definition immature and the opportunity for harassment is far greater in such a place than in a regular open space within the school.

Unless you go for 100% self-contained units, in the mode of the stand-alone disabled toilets that you get.

4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It doesn't strike me as a great idea in secondary schools. In Chinese kindergartens 3-6 year olds share cubicleless toilets (girls queueing to pee in squat toilets on one side and boys queueing garden for urinals directly opposite and it isn't a problem in any way and allows teachers to supervise more easily.

5. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

As a man who has faced the horror of using men's public toilets - this is a massive disservice the women. Why would we want to subject girls to toilets where the floors are swimming in piss and the walls are covered in comedy cock drawings?

MickiQ likes this.
  6. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Back in the olden days when I was at school, hanging around in the loos with my friends, smoking, doing our makeup, and gossiping about boys was a big part of the day. It would have been horrible if there were boys around.

7. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

BBC radio by any chance? They seem to be obsessed with gender related news these days

8. Bahnhof Strasse

I take it you've never been in a women's bog?

TopCat, Spymaster, Riklet and 5 others like this.
  9. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

don't suppose anyone bothered asking the kids what they wanted in the way of toilet facilities ?

10. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't think the segregation of sexes is useful at all, we are far more alike than people would have us believe.Maybe the boys (if indeed they were creating filth in male only loos) will have to learn to be cleaner- I mean surely they don't piss all over the shop at home :D Girls toilets have graffiti and filth too though, believe me...but not in the schools that have regular cleaning and checks. If every toilet has a sanitary bin it will be an eye opener for the boys- something I see as a positive. There shouldn't be shame or secrecy around periods these days ffs. Privacy in the cubicle, so no real issue for girls changing a tampon etc. If I have ever got a bit of blood on my hand in a women's toilet I haven't exactly wandered out, holding it aloft for everyone to see, it would be no different in a gender neutral toilet. They are going in there for a piss, it really doesn't matter the gender of the person in the next cubicle.

But more than all that and yes I am biased because I have a trans son- trans people can finally go to the toilet without worrying. My son doesn't go to the loo for the whole day in school because he has no access to gender neutral toilets and doesn't feel comfortable in the girls or boys.

Mation, porp, Grace Johnson and 18 others like this.
  11. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

You're right that there shouldn't be shame or secrecy around periods, but the reality is that many girls would find it extremely embarrassing to have to share the loos with boys, especially during their periods.

Spymaster, mather and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  12. bemused

Only where there is no CCTV.

Badgers and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  13. Clair De Lune

How do we change this then? Like is this an issue that parents can help with? would those girls also feel ashamed in their own homes with brother or fathers perhaps seeing/hearing them use a sanitary waste bin?

Vintage Paw, polly and Thimble Queen like this.
  14. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

:D

15. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

No, LBC
    I have a massive crush on James O'Brien, but I put the radio on early and I had to put up with Nick Ferrari
    Am sure James will get on to the subject too

16. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

Yeah all those pix of vag's we draw :D
    And pissing all over the seats

17. bemused

I'm not sure you can combat human nature, I don't like doing a number 2 in a public toilet if other people are in there. I remember as a kid hating gym showers at school, being uncomfortable in vulnerable situations is just part of human nature and somewhat of a rite of passage. Obviously, schools should find ways to make children comfortable but it only goes so far.

mather, scifisam, Maggot and 5 others like this.
  18. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

I dunno...I remember hiding my piggy bank behind the loo at home and finding it spattered and the pounds rather soggy after my brother had been in there

19. bemused

The phrase 'gender neutral' is triggering phone in gold. If the story just said they were replacing old fashioned toilets with unisex cubicles the phones wouldn't blink.

20. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

Attitudes definitely need to change.

But am not sure unisex toilets are the answer. What about blood left on toilet seats by mistake, or the unflushable blood covered loo roll. I'm not sure I would trust boys to not bet eachother to open and take things out the bin too...

I'm surprised the teachers don't let your son use a loo in the office if he is in discomfort?

21. Clair De Lune

If from year seven on wards they are using gender neutral loos, I am pretty sure they will get used to it pretty quickly. After all we don't overcome those things we avoid.

22. bemused

I don't care what toilets my kids use in schools just as long as they are clean; if new schools are putting in toilets that no longer resemble a scene from Porridge that's great.

My point here is that I simply don't agree toilet design has any affect on embarrassment about basic bodily functions. People will still laugh at farts, or look at someone oddly if they start talking about awesome their shit was in the morning. I've got a 15-year-old son who does competitive judo, and he still wears a tee shirt because his naked torso embarrasses him; frankly, if I had a six pack like his I'd never wear a shirt.

Emrbassement is part of the human condition, it's uncomfortable, not nice - but that's the way it is.

As this is urban I feel the need to make it clear that I don't think shaming people for being themselves is cool.

23. Bahnhof Strasse

The most rancid bogs I've ever seen have all been women's. I really could not give a toss about graffiti in a toilet, but dirty bog roll, shit, piss and menstrual blood splattered around the place in my mind is worse than the soggy floor found in the gents.

Spymaster and Clair De Lune like this.
  24. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I went back to my old school for night classes a couple of years ago and they have these open plan cubicles now.

There are a lot of good reasons for them and the main seems to be the amount of bullying that went on in toilet blocks. The fact that they're unisex is great too but I did feel uncomfortable. The cubicles were open at the top and bottom and open out almost directly on to a wide corridor and stairwell. Zero privacy for the kids.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  25. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Yep, I think back to being 12-13 and getting to grips with completely irregular, very painful, heavy periods accompanied by an upset stomach - toilets like that would have been horrendous.

26. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

I agree - and starting to share loos from 7 will not change this.

We all suddenly change when we hit puberty

27. Bahnhof Strasse

According to Emma the trainer in my gym we all have a six pack, mine's just hiding behind a keg.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  28. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

You make a habit of going in the ladies' bogs? :hmm:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  29. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Sounds like something out of "Trainspotting".

30. Bahnhof Strasse

I have spent time with members of the female side of things and they have on many occasions dragged me in to see for myself just how horrific a toilet can be. The very worst offender being at the top of the Peak in Hong Kong, 20 years ago this year that was, the vision still haunts me.

cupid_stunt likes this.