1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underwater Camera Recommendation

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Supine, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Anyone got any ideas for something that is reasonably decent but inexpensive?

I just had a look on Amazon and there are loads for sale at less than £30. I can't believe they would last more than two minutes.

Couple of things I need HD quality stills and video. Must be properly waterproof. Must produce pictures of fish!

2. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I've heard good things about the Olympus TG-series waterproof cameras, but they're quite expensive (from £200-400).
    My sis has a Fuji XP-90, which has done beach and swimming duty (they live on the coast) for the last year with no problems.

The deeper you want to go, the higher the cost, and bear in mind that if you buy a top-end model, you'll probably want to figure in the cost of annual servicing, especially if you're using the camera in salt-water, which will affect the seals on the camera more than fresh water.

3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I'm after one too for diving. I have an action camera, but I flooded it and shorted the battery, so I'm looking for a replacement. The problem I'm having is that I'd like something like an Olympus TG Series, or the Canon Powershot D30, but they're only waterproof to about 25m, and I'll be qualified to 40m soon, so I'd like one that can stay the course to those depths.

I have been wondering about the Intova X2.

4. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

A mate of mine whos heavily into diving and wanted to get into underwater photography bought and killed 3 of the Olympus TG range on a single diving holiday. He was trying to go too deep with them. He said they were great if you used them within their limitations but were no use for what he was trying to do.