Underwater Camera Recommendation

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Supine, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Anyone got any ideas for something that is reasonably decent but inexpensive?

I just had a look on Amazon and there are loads for sale at less than £30. I can't believe they would last more than two minutes.

Couple of things I need HD quality stills and video. Must be properly waterproof. Must produce pictures of fish!

2. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I've heard good things about the Olympus TG-series waterproof cameras, but they're quite expensive (from £200-400).
    My sis has a Fuji XP-90, which has done beach and swimming duty (they live on the coast) for the last year with no problems.

The deeper you want to go, the higher the cost, and bear in mind that if you buy a top-end model, you'll probably want to figure in the cost of annual servicing, especially if you're using the camera in salt-water, which will affect the seals on the camera more than fresh water.

3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I'm after one too for diving. I have an action camera, but I flooded it and shorted the battery, so I'm looking for a replacement. The problem I'm having is that I'd like something like an Olympus TG Series, or the Canon Powershot D30, but they're only waterproof to about 25m, and I'll be qualified to 40m soon, so I'd like one that can stay the course to those depths.

I have been wondering about the Intova X2.

4. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

A mate of mine whos heavily into diving and wanted to get into underwater photography bought and killed 3 of the Olympus TG range on a single diving holiday. He was trying to go too deep with them. He said they were great if you used them within their limitations but were no use for what he was trying to do.

5. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I looked at a few of the compacts a while ago, the Olympus TG-5 seems the best but only goes to 15m, the Nikon Coolpix W300 goes to 30m.
    I think if you're going to them depths for any length of time a dedicated waterproof housing would be a better option.

6. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Always get one rated for deeper than you plan to dive. The rating is based on pressure, movement will increase the actual pressure on the case, not by much, but it is increased. I think it's better safe than sorry.

7. 2hats

2hats

Dynamic pressure increases as the square of your velocity. In (say) 20m of water the static pressure is about 196kPa, whereas the dynamic pressure at 0.25m/s is 31Pa, increasing to 125Pa at 0.5m/s, 500Pa at 1m/s, 2kPa at 2m/s, etc.

So the dynamic pressure contribution would be a fraction of one percent of static pressure for most activities, I’d have thought? You’d have to be moving the camera/housing around at >6m/s for dynamic to exceed more than 10% of static, even faster to meet that at greater depths (scales linearly with depth).

8. sim667

I'm actually still wondering what to get, cheapo action cam, or spend a bit more money.

9. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the new Fuji Finepix XP120 to hit the shops so I can do a few test shots. I'm now thinking a cheaper waterproof camera and then spend a bit extra for something better and small, so I can sell my DSLR gear to keep the weight down.

10. sim667

It looks like a nice camera, but I need something with a little bit more depth on it.

The coolpix w300 looks like it would do me, but its nearly £400

I'd quite happily go with a cheap action camera, but I need something thats easy to use with 5mm gloves on and that I won't accidentally open the clasp on the housing whilst I'm trying to get it out of my pocket.

11. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I've got a TG-4 I use for beekeeping because it can handle being bashed around, we take it on holiday and the wife uses it underwater with no issues. I'm not into photography but I'd recommend them to anyone.

12. sim667

Unfortunately thats only good to 10m...... they look like nice cameras though

13. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Seems you can get it a fair bit cheaper with some googling. I'm after something similar when I gave some spare cash to use canoeing and caving.

14. sim667

I've been struggling to find it cheaper.......