Underpaid amount, Wales

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Infidel Castro, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

£20k owed to underpaid staff in Wales

I genuinely thought there was typo in this article. I assumed they meant millions, not thousands. The amount owed to those underpaid amounts to just over half a pence per person in Wales. May as well focus on cats stuck up trees - far more newsworthy

2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

you really havent read the article very well -
    I think the 64 people being paid less than minimum find it newsworthy.

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Shaming bosses who don't pay is always good
    glad it's public and dealt with

friendofdorothy likes this.
  4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

When you see some of the amounts on that list, I'd bet that most are simple errors rather than deliberate underpayment of employees.

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Have you ever been underpaid? I have, in two jobs, by several pence a hour. But it undermines your faith in an employer when they can't be fucked to get my pay, and potentially the pay of many other part-time workers right. By the time I found out the first time it was five years down the line and the minute hourly difference had become about £400. Should I have just sucked it up because they'd employed other people who couldn't tell the difference between 12.4 hours and 12 hours 24 mins, inputting my hours and minutes as a decimal?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  6. Infidel Castro

Yep, I've been underpaid and sorted it with the company I was with. What I'm trying to say is that 20k across all of Wales is actually more of a success than a failure. If someone said to me "did you know that in Wales there was only £20k of underpayment across the entire workforce," I'd actually be pretty impressed. Any underpayment is wrong, but the Beeb ran this on the Welsh news page as a head article. That seems a bit OTT.

maomao likes this.
  7. Infidel Castro

James Sommerin in Penarth made that very point. He sorted his immediately as the issue became apparent.