Underground architecture - a tour of the tube

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by _pH_, Oct 11, 2010.

1. _pH_

_pH_ .

Inspired by the Charles Holden exhibition at the V&A, I'm going to spend a day pootling around on the tube looking at the architecture of the stations on the UndergrounD.

Not decided on an itinerary yet but maybe start at Baker Street or Farringdon (two of the first stations to be opened), then look at the work of Leslie Green, Stanley Heaps, Holden of course and the influence of Frank Pick, ending perhaps with Norman Foster's Canary Wharf on the Jubliee Line extension.

Probably on a Saturday or Sunday, there will be facts and geekiness, free except for the cost of a travelcard, pub stop(s) somewhere en route.

Who's interested?

edit: hahaha! too many D's

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Memememememe

3. _pH_

_pH_ .

I knew you would crispy.

edit the title and delete the superflous 'd' for me will you, there's a love.

edit: thanks sexy

4. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Oh yes. Might it be a little less busy on the platforms on Sundays?

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

And when are you thinking of for this wee sojourn? *distinctly not interested in tube geeking, nosirree)

6. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap R.I.P.

A Sunday would be a bad idea for this. Every time I have ventured into that there London on a Sunday in the last two years, so much of the Tube has been closed that I have had to plan alternative routes, listen to tannoy messages and sometimes walk up or down giddying spiral staircases for lack of escalators. Saturdays are not too bad though.

7. _pH_

_pH_ .

Good point, but most of it will be looking at station buildings from outside.

Also a good point.

I'm NOT, I just wanted to see how many of you I could get to admit to being anoraks! Hahahahaha! I don't know yet, I need to find out when I'm not working. Probably in November.

8. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Put my name down. As 'not interested'. Of course. ;)

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Yeah, I'm a 'not interested' in this in the way that Mary Whitehouse types are 'not interested' in copious amounts of swearing & T&A on our screens.

10. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Keep me in the loop - have a desire to see Southgate and Arnos Grove .....

11. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Ooooh. I'd love to come, but not mobile enough.
    There are some fab buildings and I really like to take pics and stuff before they mess them up.
    There's one with wonderful tiles - can't remember which one.
    I think I just might be an anorak.
    A bit :)

12. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

Obviously I'm not coming. But I want photos please. :)

13. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I'll definitely try and make it.

14. _pH_

_pH_ .

I knew you'd want to come. This is getting like anorak bingo now. All that's missing is roadie and he doesn't post here any more because he's a massive shitcunt*. I'll let him know about this though, I think it'd be right up his street.

One or other is on the list. I can't quite decide which, both are pretty iconic.

If you can get to Vic I'll meet you there and we'll drag you round with us. It'll mostly be just sitting on tube trains, going up and down escalators and shit. If you think you can manage that, it'd be good to see you.

I'm sorry???

*I love him really, not in a bumsex way obviously.

15. moomoo

Why? What have you done now???

16. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Hmm. You think if we make up a name for our organisation, we can get TFL to show us round the back bits? ("Yes, and we'll be bringing Mr Y. Bird, the noted stationographer, who will need some help with the steps, so if you can arrange a couple of burly chaps...")

17. _pH_

_pH_ .

Nothing. It's just that I saw you'd posted and expected abusive/mocking/disparaging remarks. I was quite surprised.

18. moomoo

I like getting pics of your days out!!!

But I'll be rude to you if you prefer?

19. _pH_

_pH_ .

No no, I prefer you like this. I'll send you pics, haven't done that for a while have I? Me and aqua on the beach at Brighton was the last one I think? That was a while ago.

20. moomoo

Yes. Random pics of things I can't quite make out what they are make me happy!!! :)

Obviously, I knew what aqua was!

Do you want me to text you a pic of Michael Buble?

21. _pH_

_pH_ .

Terrible bullying of the lovely aqua there.

No I don't want a picture of Michael Booblay, not really. Did you have a good time? Hope so.

You're rubbish at ignoring me btw.

22. moomoo

I wasn't bullying aqua silly!

I can't ignore you - I love you! :)

But I'm still not coming on your geeky walk!

23. _pH_

_pH_ .

That's more like it! x

24. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Right then. I'm up for this (with the occasional tumble no doubt) if I can get a little assistance when required :)
    I'll pill myself up and energy store for a couple of days prior.
    It would be good to see those of you that I know and meet those that I don't.
    And I get I get a third off my ticket as old farts discount :D

25. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Highly tempted.

I could bring a few books with me :)

26. _pH_

_pH_ .

Good man. (We'll just pretend you're pissed again)

I've got this and I'm going to nick this off mango5 again (even though I've only just given it back after a year). If you've got any others, bring them along, yes please.

27. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I presume you have the London railway atlas? I'll bring mine if you don't. :)

28. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I'm definitely 'not interested' too. In fact this wasn't my idea.

Weekend engineering works are the main obstacle. The Piccadilly line and the Jubilee lines are the obvious ones. Which other lines do we need? The Jubilee line was closed every weekend, but is a bit better now.

That's the spirit!

I'll be happy to help you around.

29. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I would like to register my interest.

*zips up anorak* :oops:

30. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Depending on the date, would love to.