UK Police hold more than 20 million facial recognition images

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by cupid_stunt, Aug 24, 2017.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

2. 2hats

2hats

I wouldn’t worry about it too much if the tech is as shite as that used at e-passport gates in UK airports. (Went through another the other day and after several minutes of waiting it let me through and as I walked away I could see my passport photo plus 'on the spot’ mugshot with lots of other similar pairs on a BF supervisor’s monitor where they were approving or declining them manually).

Ralph Llama, NoXion, stuff_it and 2 others like this.
  3. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

That is Brixit in action, Tories are bragging about high employment and this is why, we all should say, "No robots in the UK".

4. Borp

Borp remember

I always wonder if the cameras at airports with the little light that goes round is part of this. Those cameras are very clever. It's impossible not to look at them even if it's unconsciously. I tried not to last time I went through gatwick and it's impossible.

Edit. I mean obviously it IS possible not to look at them but it's very difficult.

5. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

:eek: So I've been through that several times recently. I got through automatically once. All the rest, I had to go to see a human at a desk to be let back into the country. Did it seem to you like they usually do them all manually?

6. 2hats

2hats

All the ones that their mickey mouse system can’t handle it would appear. I discovered that if I’m not wearing glasses it lets me through right away. If I have them on it sulks and someone is clearly having to manually intervene (well I know they are since I’ve seen them doing it).

Pickman's model and Mation like this.
  7. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Even if I take my glasses off, I still have to go and see someone. *sigh*

8. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I'm reliably told that this is false news. Tesco unable to even tie club cards and addresses together.

NoXion likes this.
  9. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

On a related note, posted by a mate on facebork:

IMG_2199.JPG

(The smartarse way to defeat this is have a special stupid face that you pull to unlock your phone, which you refuse to do on demand :) )

10. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Watch this space. Apparently China is way ahead on this technology and can track dissidents as they move across towns using the CCTV network.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  11. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

12. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

13. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Once you have your new iphone x the CIA will hold your facial recognition image as well. ;)

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  14. UnderAnOpenSky

They got that quite a long time ago...

15. UnderAnOpenSky

We've the most watches population in the world, at least on terms of numbers of CCTV cameras. I'm guessing if they give it a few years it won't be a massively leap to link that network up to new and improved forms of tech. Although of course it will be late, massively over budget and not work at certain critical times.

16. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I remember this story appearing. I was working on analytics for various supermarket, including Tesco.

The story lit up the press. Tens, if not hundreds, of articles appeared. Tesco can recognise you.

There was no logic or explanation of how it would work. Few if any reatailers have any photo of their customers. Tesco certainly didn’t. But apparently they’d be able to match your face to some trivial record of your name. A certain type of face means you’re Mr Smith. Not one journalist seemed to question the technical impossibility.

Two years later, even more lurid stories.

In 2015, one consultancy claimed 30% - yes, 30% - of retailers were doing facial recognition.

Look at a typical London high street. That’s chicken shops, general small independents, hairdressers, nail bars, and maybe a kebab shop - in amongst the generic storefronts.

And a *third* of these are doing facial recognition? Apparently so.

“Around 30% of retailers use facial recognition technology to track customers in-store, according to research by software firm CSC.”

Does that sound like bullshit? It was, and is.

For Tesco at least - barring some isolated pilot as a test of the tech, with willing participants - it makes no sense.

They have 20 million very willing Clubcard holders. People who will voluntarily hand over their identifier at the till. Because they want to.

That’s not to say that facial recognition won’t become a thing in retail, but right now it’s as good as non existent.

I’d be more worried about Facebook. Because, unlike retailers... they do actually have your photo.

Sasaferrato, NoXion, Chilli.s and 3 others like this.
  17. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Slightly different in that they don't yet just snatch your DNA as you wander around lawfully.

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'm sure it's my Continental mindset that prevents me from seeing the big issue here, but I must say I could hardly give any less of a fuck about this tbh. They can store my captured CCTV images or my Otster card travel history for all eternity for all I care, and more importantly, for all the difference it would make if They were out to get me.

19. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

If they're stupid enough to try and clone a few copies of me then more fool them!

20. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I’d have thought this would be pretty simple at the Tesco garage - “which pump ?”, tie pump, to car to car, to registration, to club card.

Alex

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Or in my case a picture of someone off tv

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

No one gets cuffed like that, always hands behind back

23. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I thought so too. But then someone goes in with sons car, mums clubcard, girlfriend pays. Busy till staff scan card without checking name. Thats enough to spoil the data.

In the future sometime it may work, but at the moment no. Too complicated and no advantage to gain.

Clubcards are used to send advertising and offers to the address of the customer to keep them going in the stores.

NoXion likes this.
  24. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Inside China’s surveillance state
    I cant see how we can escape this total surveillance state.

25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Plenty of people are arrested whilst wandering around lawfully.

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

A camera is not a policeman. The British state is increasingly dependant on intimidation tactics rather than actual policing to maintain order. They still turn out in numbers for any kind of direct action but that only works if direct action is sporadic, localised and rare. Co-ordinated mass action, even on a relatively small scale, could easily overwhelm any possible state response in light of the ongoing cuts to police numbers and their replacement with hobby bobbys that are basically one step up from the cardboard cut-out coppers in supermarket windows.

HoratioCuthbert and Libertad like this.
  27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

South Wales police under fire for using facial recognition technology against protesters | The Canary

Ralph Llama and Pickman's model like this.
  28. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

A mate was banging on about the Parson's Green bombing. He asked why this person was able to get away with it etc, he then moved on to people who are on the 'watch' list, but go on to commit an offence. When I told him that it takes 32 people to mount 24 hour surveillance on one individual, he shut up. Unless we are prepared to spend the national budget on policemen, we are going to have incidents.

The problem with cameras is that they are good at catching the guy who knifed you, but totally fucking useless at stopping it.

HoratioCuthbert and cupid_stunt like this.
  29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Police face recognition tools 'inaccurate'

SWP 2,685-2,451 = 234 :rolleyes: but :D

Ralph Llama likes this.
  30. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Legal threat for police if they keep using facial recognition technology

all the comments moaning about leftie liberals and the predictable "if you've got nothing to hide" :facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    cupid_stunt likes this.