UK photographers: the law and your rights: discussion

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Feb 10, 2007.

?

More photography laws?

1. Yes

2.2%
  2. No

88.3%
  3. Restrict it to professionals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Create a license/register for it

2.2%
  5. Am busy stalking someone click......click

7.3%
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's talking total and utter bollocks.

spitfire, AnnO'Neemus and pogofish like this.
  2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I've shot in film sets a couple of times. If they're actually filming, their microphones could pick up your shutter noise, which is why they would ask you not to take photos, but if you're in a public place and not causing an obstruction they can't stop you. Piers are sometimes private property, so they might have negotiated exclusive rights with the pier owner if you were actually on the pier.

3. duncanh64

duncanh64 Things can only get bitter...

Thanks; he didn't mention anything about shutter noise and I could have easily turned that off; he seemed to be suggesting that using the camera could in itself interfere with their filming. They were had about half the pier cordoned off, we were on the bit closest to the Esplanade, all owned by the local council...

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Well the camera interfering with filming (other than shutter noise) is absolute bollocks. If you were in a public area you can photograph whatever you want.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This seems to reside in a dubious area of legality, given that this was Leicester Square.

1.jpg

FridgeMagnet likes this.
  6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Hah. I mean they have the same rights to film and take photos in public as anyone else, but if they then used that to defame you, I don’t think “you consented by being in public” is going to cut it as a defence.

Mr.Bishie and editor like this.
  7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

They actually wrote 'throughout the Universe'. :D

I very much doubt that putting that sign up changes their legal relations with anyone tbh.

8. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

That's priceless :D

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. It’s a statement of discouragement.

10. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Something I was wondering, and this thread seems like a good place to ask it - do you have the right to take photos of buildings and then profit from selling them? Say for example I decided to produce a calendar of pictures of my village, would the owners of any buildings pictured have any legal right to object? What about specific types of buildings - all churches, or all town halls, or something?

(Not that it's something I'm ever likely to end up doing, but I was wondering anyway.) :)

11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Sure. There are some countries where there is copyright over architecture but not here.

ETA: some MOD buildings are excluded from this in case you were thinking of that....

cupid_stunt and Buddy Bradley like this.
  12. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I took some photos one weekend focussing on a particular tree that was showing great autumn colours. The photos were awful and I was tempted to delete them immediately on getting them onto the computer.

However it turned out the tree was just outside an army base and the guards had noted my licence plate and informed the police. Monday am I had a knock at my door and two detectives asking me what exactly I was doing so near the base. In the end although I probably didn't have to I invited them in to see the images I had from that session which seemed to calm their fears and that was that.

I hadn't even realised the tree was outside a base!

editor and cupid_stunt like this.
  13. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

As FridgeMagnet has said.

Years ago I worked for 'Somerset Life' magazine, which carried regular features on Somerset villages, with truly beautiful photography, occasionally we would get a complaint from someone that we had published a photo that included their house, or even had it as the main focus of the photo.

Our response was always very polite, but basically boiled down to 'fuck off, you twat'.

editor and Buddy Bradley like this.
  14. bill4725

bill4725 New Member

On Saturday I decided to take my new video camera out for a spin, just happened to coincide with the villages xmas lights being switched on. I set up in the town hall making sure I was right out of the way and in no way causing any obstruction (was in the sports hall area of the town hall that epitomises the very definition of a public space) and was very rudely asked to leave as I wasn't allowed to film in there because of children being present (I had actually arrived earlier then the opening time in order to get shots of the indoor faire without a sea of heads, incidently at the time of being asked to leave there wasn't a single child in the sports hall). being a public space, a free public event and the organisers being a community group who had hired the hall and the person telling me to leave not being a council employee could I have refused to leave and carried on filming. I did leave when asked but only as to not cause a scene. I want to write a letter of complaint to both the group involved and the town council but I want to be sure that I was in the right

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you're inside private property - and a town hall would count as that - then you can be asked to stop filming. The stuff about 'not being allowed to film children' is legally total nonsense if you're just filming for your own benefit.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  16. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I bumped into Eddie a few weeks ago, turns out his Hove town hall experience wasn't the only one, he was arrested back in 2014 near Gatwick airport, for filming using a drone, despite having approval from the Civil Aviation Authority & permission of the land-owner. :facepalm:

Photojournalist arrested after filming with drone near Gatwick airport

It was a brief encounter, as he was in a rush, so I didn't find out what the outcome was, and if he got compensation.

The stupid thing is, he's a respected freelancer that supplies the likes of of the BBC, Sky, ITN, national & local newspapers with his work, and has helped the police & fire service by flying his drone over scenes of fires, etc. to help them to assess the situation.

ETA - oh, and this photo confirms what I posted before, that he's a big fucker, towering above the coppers! :D

drone-012.jpg