1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Hip-Hop

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Seems like nothing is going to kill off UK Hip-Hop, no lack of radio support, no lack of records sales, no lack of change in trends and production styles, it just seems to plough on and on oblivious... last week saw the Boom Bap festival and theres still a lot of action on the scene:
    [​IMG]
    was a great event from what i hear...

so post your favourites

Big track from 2000:
    Phi-Life Cypher - Earth Rulers

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. ska invita

Great new-ish tune from TY
    Like You Never
    great lyrics

a real grower

danski and eatmorecheese like this.
  3. Frances Lengel

Frances Lengel Atrophied Member Banned

I remember hearing Foreign Beggars - This twat with a posh accent rapping? Fuck off.

4. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

I was expecting to see Tommy Evans on that list, as last time I saw him he'd drawn a fair size crowd to a gig in Newcastle.... old mate from school days, but lost touch with him probably after that gig actually. It seems from youtube that he's done a Cat Stevens, converted to Islam and renounced music entirely.

Bit of a thread derail sorry, but I'd nowhere else to post about it. This is a guy who lived and breathed UK hip hop since I first met him at 13, and probably has one of the best collection of hip hop autographs from that period, so I'm amazed to find him renouncing music entirely.

I suppose I'm not as into techno as I used to be either, so each to their own path or something.

[/derail]

ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

not at all a derail free spirit - a bit of chat is better than a list of videos. Ive seen Tommy Evans a couple of times, remember him having a mad grin at all times and lots of energy, seemed like the nicest of people - stole the show too iirc. Theres a lot of very good-hearted people involved in UK hiphop i reckon - lyrically its very 'conscious' - the odds of someone converting to Islam are relatively high compared to other music genres. In a way he's following in the footsteps of a fair few other rappers (and african-american musicians in general), though the renouncing music bit is a strong step.

6. ska invita

Someone who is on that list is Cappo (from Nottingham)- this is a strong track, with production from Sam Zircon (who's a really good up and coming beatsmith with a big touch of J Dilla about him)
    this is from this year: Swagbasco

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I'm pretty out of date with UK hip hop... But skinnyman, jehst and Klashnekoff were favourites of mine. Ill try and put some vids up at lunchtime.

Anyone listen to oliver sudden? Croydon dude, used to go to college with him, he's not bad at all either :)

ska invita likes this.
  8. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Rt Hon. Thingummy

Croydon's current finest. Their mixtape got into the UK top 20 the other week.

9. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I totally love this:

Dirty Diggers - For the Haters

shambler and ska invita like this.
  10. ska invita

i dj'd ahead of him at new Cross Inn last year - yeah he's good - nice guy - he played some good tunes as well

11. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Would be great if people could post links to decent mixes on soundcloud or whatever?

ska invita likes this.
  12. Onket

Cheers ska invita, but I do feel like about half my posts are on threads about mixes, or asking for them! I blame my commute. :D

13. ska invita

just requested to dj Chris P Cuts who has a weekly show to do a straight new UK hip hop set and he was up for that, fingers crossed he'll have that for next Thursday

Onket likes this.
  14. Onket

Weekly show on what?

15. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Don't know a lot about UK hip hop, but I like Braintax.

ska invita likes this.
  16. ska invita

a think called the funhouse, a video streaming thing on a thursday, him + guest DJ finishing with Mr Thing
    http://isaid.thefunhousetv.com/
    its on tonight if you want to try it out - very hight standard of djing on there - and tonight theyve got some kind of live band thing happening
    [​IMG]

Onket likes this.
  17. ska invita

Boycey likes this.
  18. sim667

He's always playing in new cross. Was Lazy technician there too? Again really nice guy and good tune selection.

19. ska invita

i dont think so - there was some kind of connection with Tempo Tantrum, but i didnt catch the TT guys dj name (cant remember his real name either!) Oliver Sudden is a name you dont forget though

20. sim667

Anyway..... the vids I said I'd link

Skinnyman

Jehst

Klashnekoff

I notice roots manuva hasnt had a mention yet.

shambler and ska invita like this.
  21. sim667

Ah right, suddz has been well into it all since I met him, I think he was 16/17 at the time.

Lazy technician is a bit of a local legend where I am, writes beats for oli.

ska invita likes this.
  22. ska invita

the original Roots Manuva - MC MellO - 1990

23. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Used to listen to and buy a lot of UK hip hop, haven't followed it for years now, though I do still check these MCs on the various UK battle leagues. Generally not a fan of most live hip hop, the foreign Beggers are an exception, I saw clips from their recent performance at the Jazz Cafe and it looked amazing.

24. sim667

I photographed foreign beggars live once, just seemed like brapping and misogyny to me.

25. ska invita

loving that

sim667 likes this.
  26. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

i still like this old parky tune eta just listened to it through and it seems to cut off a little short :(

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    ska invita likes this.
  27. ska invita

sunday ;)

Fez909 likes this.
  28. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Brainfux'd more like :D

ska invita likes this.
  29. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

i think skinnymans a prick but i love this tune :D

ska invita likes this.
  30. Onket

I remember seeing Skinnyman in the Redstar. I expect there were a few others off these boards there too. He was pretty good but the highlight of the night was Deadlock afterwards!

Thimble Queen likes this.