UK Detention centers

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by ska invita, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Does anyone have a good oversight as to where the UK (migrant) detention centres are + campaigns + politics around them? Not a subject I know anything about...and would like to know more

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

w w w .gov . u k/im migration-removal-centre/overv iew

Badgers likes this.
  3. ska invita

4. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

5. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

6. ska invita

Can you add anything to this Kuke?

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

When part of Yarls Wood burnt down twelve years ago, G4S staff were ordered to lock detainees inside the burning building.

No G4S staff faced any criminal charges over this.

8. Kuke

Kuke Well-Known Member

Not much except that the folks inside are very organised at the minute and public attention is muchly on the up. Been at detention centre demos with half a dozen people and hundreds are now turning up. Positive abouylt Mcdonnel, long time detention campaigner is now shadow chancellor (standard labour is as labour does disclaimer applies).

9. ska invita

Close Campsfield

Demo at Campsfield House outside of Oxford this Saturday... (28th Nov 2015)

SpookyFrank likes this.
  10. ska invita

From a quick bit of reading it looks like the current legal fight is over indefinite detention - seems like the state has the right at present to keep people locked up for as long as they want - the thrust of the current campaigning (and recent discussion in parliament) seems to be to set a short time frame for the process.

11. ska invita

chainsawjob likes this.
  12. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

quimcunx, Miss-Shelf, Rutita1 and 2 others like this.
  13. ska invita

Good on you Boudicca... I know from your posts where you live and know its still a good old journey to get to Portland... All power to your elbow.

Though on the plus side if you've never been to the quarry up there, which from the map I reckon is right next door, that's well worth a visit.

Good luck

Rutita1 likes this.
  14. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I have a car so it isn't that bad.

I have only been to Portland once, but it was for a pirate night and I met the mayor of Portland dressed as a pirate, so I have good memories. :)

ska invita likes this.
  15. ska invita

Still takes an hour by car though I recall, so takes effort :thumbs:... anyhow best of luck

16. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Mr.Bishie and Miss-Shelf like this.
  17. Miss-Shelf

twentythreedom likes this.
  18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

19. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

They wrote to say that they don't have enough people to 'train' volunteers, so it looks like I won't be going. :(

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  20. Miss-Shelf

but they'll never get more if they don't train them :confused:

21. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I just checked the email and it's not quite what I said in my previous post:

"At the moment we do not have any training coming up as the volunteer coordinators working around their paid work are struggling to keep up with the visitors we do have at the moment. The group is going through a formalising process which may take 2 or 3 months (getting a committee etc). After that we hope to be able to offer another training date."

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  22. Miss-Shelf

Sounds more promising. Keep me up to date with it if you don't mind as I'd like to go when I'm down that way

23. Nigel

Nigel For A Degenerates' Workers State

After 25yrs+ of campaigning and struggle against Campsfield Detention Centre A decision has now been made to close this draconian 'facility'' !

SpookyFrank and angusmcfangus like this.