UCU - Pensions and Pay Disputes

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by SpackleFrog, Jan 23, 2018.

1. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

Some senior figures in UCU are just pretty hostile to campaigning to be fair...

I mean that once 100% pay deductions are live it's basically a lock out. How long it would last would be anyone's guess but it would stop everyone graduating until it was resolved.

2. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

I know you shouldn't feed trolls but since I'm operating in a state of heightened emotional exhaustion as a result of running around organising academics to take historic industrial action if anyone inboxes me to tell me who you are you're going on the "People I have ambitions of punching" list.

redsquirrel likes this.
  3. scalyboy

scalyboy Left them to time

Our HR dept have declared that any UNISON members not wishing to cross a UCU picket line will not be subject to disciplinary action, just loss of pay. Myself and a few other agency/temp UNISON colleagues are waiting to hear if the same guarantees apply to us.

4. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

From a BBC article on the strike:

5. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

About 28 people out of a staff of 70 odd have expressly committed to the full 14 day strike in my department, with a number more committing to the first 5 days. The strikers are predominantly younger members of staff though there are some senior lecturers and a handful of Profs also striking. Hoped there'd be more put hopefully things'll pick up. I'm gonna join the picket line next week (recovering from a cold atm) but looks like a good atmosphere from the photos.

6. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

Lancaster UCU picket
    FB_IMG_1519295005549.jpg

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

good luck to all.

8. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

My PhD student daughter is on strike today in Sheffield. Solidarity and best of luck to you all

9. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

Just heard some toff student on the news trying to claim compensation for lost lecture time due to the strike :facepalm:

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I read that some hawkish managers have made threats of including strikers liable in any claims brought against them.Which I don't think they can do but wankers either way

PursuedByBears likes this.
  11. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

That's utter bollocks, if it's a properly authorised strike that has been balloted for then they can't be sued or claimed against.

12. Doctor Carrot

It's a pretty depressing state of affairs. I was at uni five years ago as a mature student, there were lecturer strikes then and students joined the picket line with them. Now they're turning on the lecturers? If anything it at least highlights the disciplinary nature of tuition fees on student behaviour.

muscovyduck and agricola like this.
  13. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Perhaps - though given how the news media works they could easily have had 900 students speak in support of the strike and one against, and had "one from each side" so the reporting was balanced.

14. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

This line from the BBC site pretty much sums it up, in that it makes no fucking sense.

muscovyduck and Doctor Carrot like this.
  15. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

It's to put pressure on the employers, not necessarily against the strike.

A380, Chilli.s, SpackleFrog and 4 others like this.
  16. strung out

strung out (",)

The universities will be making quite large savings from not paying the striking staff, so I'm assuming the students would like to see some of that back. As long as they're supporting the strikers, I don't blame them tbh.

A380, emanymton, Almor and 6 others like this.
  17. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Demanding compensation from the universities doesn't mean that the students aren't supportive of the strikes.
    If they're paying £9000 a year why shouldn't the universities refund some of that money. Most universities are/were happy enough to make students consumers, refunds are the logical result.

A380, Wolveryeti, Chilli.s and 3 others like this.
  18. Jeff Robinson

Loads of students joined the picket lines and rally here today.

Ground Elder likes this.
  19. Dowie

Dowie Well-Known Member

What is wrong with that?

Yes it does, lectures have been missed and so students (who are paying huge fees) are claiming compensation. As far as I'm aware most lecturers are quite happy about this as it puts additional pressure on the university and helps their cause.

cybershot likes this.
  20. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

So far, there's plenty of support from students for the strike and those taking part, at the same time quite a number of those students have also said they believe they should be entitled to money back from lost lectures/tutorials because of it. Whilst in an ideological sense, I hate that higher education has turned students into consumers, as it stands, they're now paying a lot of money for their education and as such do have a right to ask Universities for refunds.

Almor, muscovyduck, ddraig and 3 others like this.
  21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah, each lecture I take costs me about £75. I have 9 lectures per module. Of course I'd want a refund (at the very least) if they don't happen.

But I won't be letting the Uni use that as way to bash the strikers.

I suspect it won't come to that though.

A380 and redcogs like this.
  22. Doctor Carrot

Yeah fair enough it's not an either or situation I guess. I do find it depressing that higher education has become comodified and turned students into consumers above just being students wanting to learn. I guess the commodification of education is all part of the reasons for striking in the first place.

redsquirrel and chilango like this.
  23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

depressingly, many students feel that by virtue of paying fees they are buying a first class degree rather than the opportunity to achieve a first class degree.

24. Pickman's model

can you give me an example of any university which has given you grounds to think they might?

25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

No.

26. Pickman's model

i've seen a message from one college head hoping that the situation would be resolved in the staff's interest. being as the move to bugger with the pensions is based on arbitrary accounting rules and not the actual viability of the scheme i think it very unlikely any institution would seek to make hay from the dispute.

PursuedByBears likes this.
  27. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Good.

28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Two questions:

1. What's your point?
    2. You don't have a point do you?

29. Jeff Robinson

Student rally at my uni: