Uber UK strike: users urged not to cross 'digital picket line' today - 9th Oct

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Has anyone tried the alternatives in London yet? I downloaded this other one ViaVan - which offers shared van rides for £3. I've yet to try it out though.

https://www.viavan.com/

I've used MyTaxi in Berlin (where uber is banned) and Lyft in LA. MyTaxi is basically just the official city taxi operator utilising a globally available app, just like in London. Lyft is pretty much the same as Uber.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

In case they need to say, “Ooh, not sarf of the river mate.”

Celyn likes this.
  4. skyscraper101

But they get paid wherever they go. It shouldn't be their decision on where they'd like to go. It's kind of missing the whole point of what Taxis are for, and all the more reason why I struggle to sympathise with their stance on uber.

When I'm in New York, I never ask the driver of a yellow cab if he's OK to go somewhere before I get in the car. Why is it accepted as normal here? It shouldn't be.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  5. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Technically it isn’t allowed. I think there’s a certain distance they’re obliged to take a fare when pulled by someone. But they’re a law unto themselves.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fuck black cabs and their stinky vehicles and their snotty drivers who won't even open the door until they've decided they like your destination.

Magnus McGinty and skyscraper101 like this.
  7. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Every Uber I get tells me to use Ola instead. They must get paid more on that.

8. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Do they give a reason?

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

So you've been working nine hours, thinking about going home. Sat on the rank at Liverpool Street and you live somewhere in East London cab driver land (say Romford, there are tonnes round here). Some fucker gets in your car and asks to go to Twickenham. Why the fuck should you have to take them? Seems a little entitled that you feel you have the right to make someone get home 90 minutes later rather than just see if the next couple of cars in the rank are a little more amenable.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  10. skyscraper101

Problem is, that's then just a convenient excuse to refuse to take passengers for any reason they like, be it 'too black, too Asian, disabled/wheelchair hassle, looks like not a great tipper, don't wanna go south of the river... etc'

If black cab drivers are allowed to refuse a fare on the basis that the trip doesn't suit them - then why the fuck should should they expect my support when Uber come along with a better model?

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Black cab drivers are not allowed to turn down a reasonable request and if you feel you've been discriminated against you should report them to the PCO.

Meanwhile Uber drivers can exercise exactly the same choice. There's a limit on how often they can do it but they can cancel at any point before you get in the car. :facepalm:

12. skyscraper101

Big difference though, Uber drivers can't see where they're going until the passenger is in the car. So they can't refuse to pick up purely on the basis of the destination doesn't suit them (or pretend that's the reason) because they don't know the destination and they can't racially profile as easily. Plus as you say, there's a limit on how many times they can cancel for any other reason, so it's not in the drivers interest to do it often anyway.

If a black cab driver isn't willing to drive across London just because they were hoping the next fare would be a nice local one, then they should switch off the light and get off the cab rank because there's plenty of other drivers who will do it.

13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

They can preselect directions of work they will take though. At any time.

14. skyscraper101

Exactly. Black cabs can't, so they shouldn't use it as an excuse to refuse a fare.

If they want to operate with the flexibility of uber, then perhaps they should work for uber. They can't have it both ways.

15. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

:confused:

So they should be prepared to finish work two hours late at the drop of a hat to save busy people the indignity of actually asking someone to do something to their face rather than just hopping in the back and barking orders?

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

dunno really.

i can sympathise with drivers who want a last run in the direction of home, but if a cab is on a cab rank, it's available for hire on the standard conditions and fares - surely that's the whole point of it. it would usually be impractical for intending passengers to wander up and down the cab rank haggling (especially at some cab ranks where only the cab at the front of the line can move off)

there is a distance limit (i'm not sure what it is, and it may vary from one licensing area to another) at which cab drivers can decline to do a journey - i believe this was written in to taxi licensing legislation with the welfare of the horse in mind.

the only answer i can think of is maybe at night, some ranks should be for taxis prepared to go north, and so on. although in most places there isn't going to be the road space for this.

17. skyscraper101

Yes because that is how Taxi's work. If you don't want to pick up fares which could go either short distances or across town, then get out of the game. That's the gamble.

Not once have I ever had to ask in New York, or LA or any other big city if the driver is OK with the direction before he decides to unlock the door and let me in. Not once. London is the only city I've got a cab in where this is somehow accepted as normal. It's bollocks.

And, as I said it just becomes a convenient excuse to not take people. It harbours racism, it disenfranchises whole areas south of the river, and people are rightly sick of it.

18. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

The 'harbours racism' thing is a complete red herring. Racist cab drivers ignore street hails from black and Asian people they don't turn them down on ranks where the next driver has to take them. Drivers repeatedly turning down reasonable work on a rank would be reported to the PCO by their fellow drivers.

19. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

This strikes me as slightly odd. You seem to be suggesting that a private business should be forced / obliged to take on work they don't want to do. For sure the racism / sexism / homophobic / transphobic angle is correct but arguing in general they should have to take every fare is bizarre. What other businesses are obliged to take on all business whether they want it or not? What have I missed here?

"Hey Mr window cleaner, clean my windows!". "Sorry mate, don't do your side of town". "I don't care, clean them anyway!"

20. skyscraper101

Sure they would.

Of course many cab drivers refuse to stop for black and asian people all the time. It's partly why I've very little love for their antiquated ways which allow them to do this. But it's a very handy excuse all the same to refuse a fare based on direction at a cab rank too.

But regardless, even if there was no racial element to it - if you only want to work in a specific area, then go do another job, or work for uber. Why should black cab drivers feel they should only ever end their shift in a neighbourhood which suits them?

21. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Black cabs don't work in that environment though do they? Anyone can be a window cleaner if they can get someone to pay them to do it. Black cabs are part of a restricted market which protects them from competition to some degree at least, and they're supposed to be part of a wider transport system. If they don't have to go somewhere just because they're a private business and don't feel like it, why shouldn't anyone else who will go there be allowed to do it instead?

22. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I'm serious. It's a queue for work and any fucking about will have the other drivers accusing teem of trying to hang out for a better job. I've seen fist fights break out in cash offices over this stuff.

So you're happy to put in an hour or two's unpaid overtime at zero notice?

23. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

That's a fair point, but I still think people should have the right to turn business down for legitimate reasons.

24. skyscraper101

You're not comparing like with like.

LTDA Black cabs are the only licensed street hail and ride operators in London. And they're licensed on the basis that they cover all of London regardless of race, disability, whatever. A window cleaner is a very different kettle. There's no licensed monopoly.

25. skyscraper101

No because, I'm not a black cab driver.

26. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Plenty of jobs require this, from the emergency services to market research - you start dealing with someone near the end of your shift you finish the job.

27. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

So it comes down to 'I'm a paying customer and you're just a driver now shut up and do what you're told'. 90% of complaints about ta I drivers I've ever dealt with have been based on this belief.

And I can assure you there's as many racists sitting in the back of cabs as driving them.

28. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Well black cab driving doesn't. They've had the right to turn down certain work in certain circumstances since long before Uber was ever dreamt of.

29. skyscraper101

No it comes down to what you sign up to when you agree to be a black cab driver.

Let me leave this for absolute clarity from TFL...

Taxi fares
    If the journey requested falls outside of this, then fair enough. But to refuse a fare because it's inconvenient to where they'd like to finish their shift, just isn't on.

30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I wonder how Uber works then. Are drivers assigned jobs that they must do or can they refuse jobs based on circumstances?