Uber UK strike: users urged not to cross 'digital picket line' today - 9th Oct

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please don't use Uber while the strike is on

Uber UK strike: users urged not to cross 'digital picket line'

A380, Celyn and danny la rouge like this.
  2. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

FFY?
    Some mates of mine were getting one the other day, said did I want to join them. Had told them to fuck off before I really realised I was speaking. Got the bus.

3. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

No problem. I've never used Uber.

Badgers likes this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Me neither.

Badgers likes this.
  5. S☼I

S☼I Are they supposed to be as sick as you and me?

I genuinely don't know what it is.

6. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

It’s a taxi thing - you download the app and order a taxi through it. You pay via the app so the whole transaction is cashless.

There’s been a lot of issues with it in terms of safety as their checks aren’t as stringent apparently as proper taxi firms. We were talking to a taxi driver in Blackpool on our way home to the train station about it as they are fighting Uber coming. He was saying that with his firm they’ve done proper qualifications, stuff around managing conflict, CSE, safeguarding etc and he felt a Uber was taking the skill away from it as they don’t have that. It also tends to be cheaper so it puts local firms out of business. He also said that on some of the taxi forums the number of reports of sexual violence towards women from Uber drivers is absolutely nuts.

S☼I likes this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

Joining the boycott in spirit, but have never used uber and can't see me doing so any time soon

8. I’ve used them once. Taxi apps are good in that they show you available cars and the distance from you (so you can make an informed choice about whether there’s time for one for the road or not) and track them on a map when they’re on their way to collect you plus you can pay the quoted fare via the app.
    I just don’t use cabs that often.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because I often need a lift in the dead of the night when I'm sometimes carting around expensive equipment, I've used Uber because they're reliable and you're not left hanging around wondering where they are. I was aware of the issues surrounding this kind of business model from the start, but every single driver I've asked to date has told me that they've been happy working for Uber.

The money isn't particularly wonderful (but still better than some), but for the drivers I've spoken to, they find the freedom of working whenever they like very attractive. That said, I'm all for them taking action to get better driving conditions and will respect any strike they call.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  10. 8ball

Hmmm. Yeah.
    Funny, that.

imposs1904, alcopop and BristolEcho like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What is amusing you so much? That's exactly what has happened. Every time I've got in an Uber cab and asked them about whether they like it, I've had the same generally positive answer and these conversations have all been witnessed by friends in the cab. In fact, I've made the exact same point here previously. Are you suggesting that I'd start lying about the actual conversations I've had with Uber drivers?

Why the fuck would I do that?

12. 8ball

No, of course not.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then what is so funny and worthy of a "Hmmm. Yeah", because it reads very much like you think I'm making it up.

14. 8ball

Take a step back, maybe think of, say, a thread where we are discussing Deliveroo drivers/riders and someone says they talked to one at their doorstep while receiving their artisan foccacia and it turns out they said they really enjoy the flexibility that comes with working for people who we might have otherwise been close to concluding were exploitative shits.

Well, I wouldn't doubt their word, would you?

BristolEcho likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you are doubting my word even though I've been saying the exact same thing for ages. Do a search. Go on. And then you might like to say sorry for your unpleasant slur.

16. 8ball

Fuck's sake. Paranoid much? :D

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh right, so now you're adding 'paranoia' on top of your other little dig :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Puddy_Tat

:confused:

i read it more as "uber drivers are hardly going to slag uber off to a member of the public they don't know, are they?"

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A380 likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why on earth shouldn't they? They are ordinary people you know, and most ordinary people are usually quite forthcoming with their complaints about a job when asked in a friendly chat (and when there's no boss around).

A380 likes this.
  21. 8ball

I think most reasonable people would. I was wondering whether a smidge of self-reflection might kick in by itself.

22. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

Me too.

I've had exactly the same experiences as editor reports - uber drivers telling me how much they liked the flexibility etc - but I've wondered how many uber secret shoppers there are ?

imposs1904, BristolEcho and editor like this.
  23. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

editor has been saying this since 2 years ago on the uber crap/not crap thread, as have I.

Drivers I've spoken to have told me they are largely happy with it. Despite the expense here meaning you need a PCL, adequate insurance, and you can only use certain models of cars. Conversely in America, it seems anyone can be an uber driver as I've been picked up by all kinds of non professionals, students, retirees, 2nd/3rd jobbers

A380 and editor like this.
  24. 8ball

The mate of mine that got the Uber the other night says the same thing.
    Makes me wonder what the ones currently striking say to their passengers.

I also wonder whether the centralised logging and tracking plays on their minds a little when conversing with passengers too.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sorry, are you suggesting that they log passengers conversations? Otherwise what role would 'centralised logging and tracking' have on what they say privately to passengers?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh and has anyone seen any evidence of UK Uber 'secret shoppers' who look to report a driver's conversations if they're not 100% supportive of the company?

27. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

The fact that you know their details does probably make them unlikely to say that it's shit.

I don't think you are lying Editor, and it's possible the drivers aren't lying either. It's hardly a reliable example though is it?

28. Puddy_Tat

if i was in a public facing job, especially one where i could be identified very easily, i would not comment negatively about my employers to a random customer who might turn out to be a manager / friend or close relative of manager / mystery shopper...

29. 8ball

No to the first. Have a little ponder about the second. Flex those muscles a little.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Given that I've said it over five times here over a two year period (people are of course entitled to think I'm lying for reasons unknown) but I remain baffled at this suggestion that they'd be too scared to say anything other than they really enjoy the job.