Uber rival Kapten launches in London, with cheaper fares [Update - and now there's Bolt)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, May 16, 2019.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

I'm installin' right now!

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Just got from Mudchute to Stratford for five quid plus pennies but that won't happen when they normalise their prices in June. Driver was an absolute diamond but that'll be the five years' experience driving for Uber.

Anyway, he thinks Kapten will go tits up in a few weeks because they just don't have the volume of work to compete with Uber for drivers. Kapten will be charging drivers 24% commission compared to Uber's 25% which sounds like a pay rise but there'll be no charge for waiting in traffic and all fares prequoted on a preselected route means in reality they'll be getting paid less for jobs. In addition there are still a fair few Uber drivers (including the young man who picked me up today) who are still on an older 20% commission deal with Uber.

I'm guessing they're paying VAT either on their portion of the fare or on a predecided proportion of the fare as a 'booking fee' (which is what several large central London firms do) rather than on the whole fare because it won't really work with only 7% going to the company.

I don't fancy their chances of getting anywhere in London but their cars are still very good value for the next week or so. Might as well take advantage while you can.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    FridgeMagnet likes this.
  3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Any chance the good treatment of staff and cheap fares are a loss leader?

4. editor

And another app promises cheaper taxi fares is rocking into the city:

[​IMG]

Watch Out Uber... Yet Another Ride Sharing App Has Launched In London

5. editor

Just had a go on the app - there's very few drivers signed up. Kapten has got way more in my area.

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

A key rebuttal ( to the article ) is that Uber operates in 700 cities but takes 24% of its revenue in 5 cities - London is one, Uber probably is profitable in London.

it makes sense for Uber competitors to start here.

Alex

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM
  7. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

We have an app here called InDriver that Uber drivers all seem to also use. It differs from Uber as when you book your ride you also set the price and if a driver wants to accept he does.

Has that made it to the UK yet?

I asked my last Uber driver about it and he said they get all the fare :confused: how does the app creator make his money I wonder, maybe advertising :confused: He also said that here Uber take 20% of his fare and I thought it was 25% so he may also be wrong about InDriver taking nothing.

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

It’s 5-8% according to Wikipedia InDriver - Wikipedia