Uber rival Kapten launches in London, with cheaper fares [Update - and now there's Bolt)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, May 16, 2019.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

Interesting....

But what's the deal for drivers?

A Cheaper Rival To Uber Has Just Launched In London... And It Pays Its VAT

spanglechick likes this.
  2. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Cheaper fares in the congestion zone is pretty much the last thing London needs.

Riklet and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  3. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Why? Do you think people will get cabs who would otherwise walk or get a bus? Seems unlikely unless they are very cheap!

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I find it intensely suspicious that somebody is claiming to be cheaper than Uber and also paying more tax. Uber's business model and pricing is already unsustainable and only held up due to the massive amounts of socially-warping investment they get.

Badgers, Riklet, 8115 and 9 others like this.
  5. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I think, like Uber, they're losing money to get market share in the hope of making a massive profit when they can get rid of the drivers - and Kapten has the advantage of being owned by an auto maker that has invested heavily in self-driving technology.

Autonomous Driving - Mobility of the future | Daimler

Maggot and tommers like this.
  6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Ahhh, I see, they want to out-Uber Uber. Well that gets a big no thanks from me.

8115, BigTom and Pickman's model like this.
  7. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Looks like I was wrong about the "losing money" bit - they've apparently somehow been able to turn a profit since they started out as "Chauffeur Prive" in 2012, though I'd still be surprised if the long-term plan wasn't to operate without human drivers.

Uber Rival Taps Investors With Proof Rides Can Rake in Profits

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

1/4 of Uber’s revenue comes from 5 cities, but they operate in 700. This is probably why they are loosing so much money, and how a savvy rival can make money.

9. Teaboy

Its already happened with uber. Lots of people are just doing it now as a matter of course, not bothering with the tube etc because why walk to a station when a car can come to you. The centre of London is absolutist clogged with taxis of one form or another.

There are still loads of black cabs around and now loads of ubers as well. Loads of those uber journeys are not taken from black cabs they are taken from public transport.

10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

What cities are they, out of interest?

11. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It would be good if UK had a proper rival to Uber like they have Lyft in the US. I used ViaVan once when they were offering £25 free credit for signing up. Which, despite the name, ended up being a Toyota Prius picking me up with other people sharing just like an Uber Pool.

It doesn't seem to have caught the public psyche as much. I note they are trialing an actual 'bus like' service in Sutton. ViaVan Is Launching an Uber-Like, On-Demand Bus Pilot Program

12. Teaboy

For sure, I think its good that Uber has rivals. They are too dominant at the moment and that's not good for the drivers. I have no problem with companies taking market share from Uber I'm just concerned this will put more cars on the road.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  13. Guineveretoo

Do you have evidence of that? Only, I would have expected that most people in central London will have a travel card of some kind which means that it costs them nothing to travel on the underground or on buses, so it seems a bit odd that they would all jump in an Uber and pay a tenner just because it is a couple of quid cheaper than a black cab.

And, fyi, uber is not always cheaper than a black cab.

14. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

I was surprised how normal a mode of transport Uber is in Mexico City. It seemed like everybody was using them for everything, no matter how near or far the destination. Seemed a lot more established and normalised than in London.
    Maybe it was just the people I was hanging out with there and / or the area....

15. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

also, Uber managed to be part of people's vocabulary. 'Let's Uber it' 'I call you an Uber', etc etc. Didn't take them long to become part of people's everyday life and to distance themselves from public transport, cabs, etc.

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Not necessarily a good thing. Just ask Hoover.

The silent brand killer

17. editor

Only when you use the Gett app, otherwise it's almost always loads more expensive. And that's only if the wanker drivers deem to let you in to their hallowed carriage.

Proof that Uber costs less than black cabs

salem likes this.
  18. Guineveretoo

That is not always true round here. If I get home late at night I tend to go via East Croydon and get a cab. On many occasions, the Uber app has quoted me more than the black cab was. So, I have got the black cab.

It has also been more in central London on occasions, because the Uber app raises the price if it is busy, regardless of the time of day, whereas the Black Cabs charge only changes at night time.

ETA That article you linked to is 4 years old. The app has changed, and Uber is nowhere near as cheap as it used to be.

ETA I have never used the Gett app.

19. editor

Maybe your locality is the exception but Uber is absolutely miles cheaper than a black cab for me. Every time.

Ted Striker likes this.
  20. Guineveretoo

I really don't think it is an exception. I have heard other people saying this too. Now that Uber have established themselves, they are charging what they like, and often this is more than a black cab would be.

It has certainly happened to me in central London as well as at East Croydon. Although, in fact, I prefer to use Uber to black cabs because, with my disabilities, I find it very difficult to get in and out of a black cab! :(

21. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I agree about public transport. Day to day I cycle. With the cost of public transport here it is only a couple of quid extra when sharing with my partner to get somewhere at night or as with yesterday getting back from a shop with loads of luggage. Generally we'll walk, but if it's a choice between bus or an Uber due to time then I'll usually pick an Uber now.

I very rarely used to get black cabs. The reason why I like Uber is that I don't need to make an awkward call and I have a rough idea on price. I'd welcome competition though and also I'm aware of the pitfalls in the company.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  22. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Uber on a surge can easily be more expensive than a black cab. Big surges are rare in central London because of the sheer amount of drivers. As soon as prices go up loads more log on.

Haven't heard of this new lot but if they're significantly cheaper than Uber without having Uber's customer base then they're going to be losing money hand over fist and screwing the drivers over to do it. And without the customer base to ensure very low levels of dead mileage and almost constant work they won't be able to screw the drivers as hard as Uber do. Which will mean drivers switching off their app (The majority of their drivers will be Uber drivers anyway) and customers sticking with the app that can actually get them a car. It's a vicious circle and I don't see anyone breaking out of it. The only firms that have kept growing in the last ten years are those that have switched their focus away from ad hoc work and concentrated on prebooked account work which Uber doesn't seem to have either the technology or the will to deal with.

FridgeMagnet likes this.
  23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

London, ny, la, Sao paolo, and sf

Iirc

Alex

24. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Going to try these tomorrow..

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Apparently they are paying the drivers 20 quid plus the regular fair.

Fares are 50% off until end of may.

Alex

26. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Does London need anymore prvt hire vehicles? I went through Covent Garden on Thursday late evening and it was chaos.

27. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

29. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

More money to drivers is always the best thing and Uber have pushed wage expectations in the industry (in London anyway) up for the first time in twenty years. This new lot are doing discounts all over the place and will probably be expecting more dead mileage till they get the customer base so I doubt the drivers will be making more. Plus they're not morally superior to Uber in any way. I'm sure they're evading as much tax as they can.

30. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Took one yesterday. In chatting with the guy it seems that the drivers are treated much better than Uber.

Maggot likes this.