Two die spraying graffiti at Barking

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Monkeynuts, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Well, no I don't happen to believe the "social contract" is a valid argument for anything - you clearly do, but we've already established your alck of critical thinking.

Whose greater good? Who decides? See, this is where being able to think critically comes in handy.

Your knowledge of political theory and history is also sorely lacking.

2. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

I do hope so. That'd be awfully good of them!:D

3. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Blagsta, what's the essential cornerstone of your thinking about how we should live? I don't mean it as a challenge, just interested.

For me, for example, it's not a lot more complicated than a "do as you would be done by" and a bit of Mill.

4. Blagsta

I believe that ordinary people should have control over their own lives, workplaces and communities.

5. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Aye, but what about how people live together - how the conflicts are managed and resolved?

6. Blagsta

What about it?

7. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Well, what's your starting point for how you think people should live within a society?

8. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Can't accept that. Driving racing cars, mountain climbing, hang-gliding ... they're all sports. They're all legal, and they certainly don't involve deliberately vandalising someone else's property.

Don't try and dignify tagging by comparing it to sports. It's just vandalism. In fact, I'd agree with monkeynuts: the arson comparison is much more apt.

Now that DOES NOT (before I get jumped upon) mean that the taggers deserved to get killed, but the fact is that they took the risk and, uinfortunately, they paid the price. Hard luck for them and their families, and hard luck for the poor old train driver who will now be having to deal with the fact that he's killed two people.

The taggers are primarily responsible for the accident: if they hadn't chosen to do what they did, it would never have happened. However, if Bob Crow is right it seems that LU didn't handle the situation properly either, in that they didn't order the train to slow down and maybe even pressuring the driver to change his statement. An enquiry seems to me to be a good idea, if only to clear the driver's conscience.

9. detective-boy

detective-boy Banned Banned

I am more than capable of critical thinking, thank you. So you can stuff your arrogant "We have already established..." bollocks right up your arse.

Clearly you would have a difficulty with anything decided by anyone but you. So, in that respect, it's a waste of time discussing anything with you. You will always simply defer to this sort of shite: "Yeah, but who decides".

I, for one, don't want to live in a world where you (or any other single person) decides. And I am smart enough to realise that as soon as you get more than one person trying to agree on everything, there will be disagreements and some level of compromise and acceptance that you may not always get your way is inevitable. And with 60m plus, that level is liely to be pretty high.

But you're clearly not. So why not move to Nirvana then? :rolleyes:

10. detective-boy

As far as I can see it's dead simple: You wanna do something, just run it by Blagsta first ...

11. detective-boy

I guess there's a first time for everything! :D

12. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Even when he had my pay rise at heart I still thought he was a twat

13. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

What a surprise ex-copper in anti-trade union shocker.:eek:

14. exosculate

Blimey its the back slapping society.

15. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Err no, just someone who felt that he wasn't the most positive influence in industrial relations between us and management, and possibly not the best person to represent our interests...

16. Blagsta

Got anything of substance to post?

Thought not.

17. Blagsta

That's up to people to decide for themselves.

18. exosculate

Fair enough, I think DB's position comes from a darker place though.

19. Blagsta

Have you actually got anything to add? Or are you just going to make snide comments based on what you imagine I wrote (as opposed to what I actually wrote)?

20. exosculate

If you were a high court Judge, an Archbishop or a Royal, you'd get far more respect from DB. He doesn't recognise your authority.

21. Blagsta

db yesterday

Attached Files:

22. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

But what about you?

23. Blagsta

What about me? :confused:

24. exosculate

Yeah I was thinking of that.:D

25. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Same question

"That's up to people to decide for themselves" is an answer as to how people in general should think about things. What I was asking was how you have decided for yourself, specifically as to what principles to adopt in reaching a compromise between what you want to do and what others would rather you didn't.

26. Blagsta

I've already answered you.

27. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Check my clarification

28. Blagsta

I don't understand what you're asking.

29. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

What you have decided for yourself as to how you should live and act in society? (Presumably uou believe this is the way that others should also act, otherwise your own "values"... aren't particularly valuable). In particular, how you do you decide whether or not to take a course of action that what you want to, but which others in society would rather you didn't?

Come on... you are far from stupid and I don't express myself that unclearly

30. exosculate

Have you read that book - The Wisdom of Crowds?