Turkey, ISIS, Kurds and Syria

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by frogwoman, Jul 25, 2015.

1. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

I thought that a new thread would be good to discuss this and keep the Daesh thread for just discussion of Daesh related events as people have posted stuff from all over the world. This looks to be becoming quite big news in itself.

I personally think this could be very, very bad news indeed

2. frogwoman

3. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

good and bad - good in that Turkey 'coming out' as an IS enemy will degrade IS's logistic routes through Turkey, as well as making the use of US (UK?) airpower more effective (less fuel, more bombs, and less transit time means more over-the-target time), bad in that its likely to mean the various Kurdish groups spending as much time watching what the Turks are doing as they do watching what IS is doing.

one could probably argue however that that isn't massively different from the situation last week, or 5 months ago.

the crux will be how wide the Turks will cast their net regarding 'Kurds are bad', if they stick to the PKK and the PKK can be kept from seriously retaliating by the other Kurdish groups then its entirely managable. if not then its one step forward and one step back.

time will tell - and you can bet the US is putting massive pressure on Turkey to keep its anti-Kurdish group offensive to a minimum.

LynnDoyleCooper and frogwoman like this.
  4. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

You really haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, have you?

Why do you imagine the USA cares about the PKK? Why do you imagine any other "Kurdish groups" can prevent the PKK from retaliating? Why do you think the Turkish policy is "Kurds are bad?"

Why am I addressing these questions to an ignoramus?

5. phildwyer

Turkey's retaliating for Monday's PKK attack. I don't like what Turkey's doing, but the PKK are their declared and active enemy, not IS.

camouflage likes this.
  6. frogwoman

The attack on the soldiers?

7. phildwyer

So they claim, yes. I see no reason to disbelieve them. It's a war after all, no-one should be surprised when fighting breaks out.

8. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

9. brogdale

No, of course the CIA wouldn't do that in order to get back into Incilik.

10. frogwoman

Fucking hell. 4 air strikes on empty fields in isis territory vs 6 hours of attacks on kurdish targets.

Baghdadi must be pleased, things were looking a bit grim for him

11. brogdale

Libertad, teqniq and Pickman's model like this.
  12. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I have read some speculation that the continuing attacks on the Kurds are in part an effort to provoke the PKK into more acts inside Turkey in the hopes that that it will drive support for the HDP under the 10% mark. More elections get called and Erdogan gets the majority he wants. One thing is very clear; things could hardly be more murky.

E2a, pretty much what Juan Cole says in his piece. Thanks for that. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  13. frogwoman

:( in the last few weeks things were looking grim for daesh with the announcement that many of their fighters were defecting to JAN and other groups, the gains by the kurds in syria and iraqi security forces. I bet that cunt is breathing a sigh of relief over this.

westcoast1, camouflage, tim and 2 others like this.
  14. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Turkey has just become Isis' airforce . And it has long been suspected the assistance goes a lot further than that . Erdogans enemies are the Syrian government and the PKK . End of .

camouflage likes this.
  15. Casually Red

An english translation here of the testimony of a former Turkish intelligence officer , önder sığırcıkoğlu, who was tasked with assisting the terrorist groups using Turkey as a base to attack Syria . He ended up so disgusted he organised the kidnapping of a senior terrorist mouthpiece and mass murderer and handed him and a few others back to the Syrians . Erdogans boys were naturally furious , and when they tracked him down he was sentenced to 20 years . After a while he managed to escape from prison and made it to Syria . He gave this interview to Turkeys ODA tv network . It's an interesting glimpse into what's going on behind the scenes .

http://www.globalresearch.ca/former...intelligence-agency-mit-against-syria/5438384

16. brogdale

17. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

Breaking on twitter, sources arabic & turkish only so far - PYD/YPG offering accommodation with Regime in return for autonomy of cantons & de-baathification of SAA.

Significant news if true.

Eta - could well be sensationalist translation of hypothetical 'if syria was democratic' suggestion

Another edit - i think this narrative suits the Turkish military, & should be disregarded without further substantiation.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    frogwoman likes this.
  18. brogdale

Looks like Erdogan has played the yanks like a fiddle. Yes, you can use Incilik to bomb the fuck out of the beardies...but I'm gonna have my own war whilst you're at it.

19. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Whilst I don't doubt that there has been a lot of liaison and assistance from Ankara can you find a more reliable source for this?

Globalresearch is according to this Wiki essentially a conspiracy site

20. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

Yes, that was going to be my comment, I can't believe anything that website says, and I find it a bit frustrating when radicals use it as a source. If you have any doubt have a quick look through its archives, they're packed full of demented drivel about 9/11, chemtrails, 'false flag' operations, and assorted delusions.

LDC

J Ed, Greebo, frogwoman and 1 other person like this.
  21. frogwoman

It is, its utter bollocks all sorts of 9/11 is an inside job shit on there.

22. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

As others have said be careful with stuff from there a lot of it is horseshit with just enough reasonable stuff that you can get caught out. Nearly had me a. couple of times.

camouflage and Greebo like this.
  23. Casually Red

It links directly to the interview he gave to the Turkish news channel . It's nothing more than an English translation of that interview .

24. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

So that's a 'no' then.

kebabking likes this.
  25. Casually Red

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly if this article is anything to go by .

http://mebriefing.com/?p=1825

Personally I find it interesting that it was around the same time as this alleged meeting occurring that the pro rebel media , and their friends in the west , began circulating stories of Kurds committing ethnic cleansing . Accusations that are still being made .

If the Kurds are going to be stuck between the hammer of IS and the anvil of erdogan they're going to be completely fucked without the sponsorship of a state actor . It's a simple calculation .

26. Casually Red

27. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

And you can read Turkish? I googled the title of that piece and all I came up with was links to more conspiracy sites which in turn linked back to Globalresearch. Unless you can provide a credible link in English, I will continue to doubt the provenance of this.

Greebo likes this.
  28. Casually Red

Global research lifted it directly from Al masdar , as indicated in the link on the site. Google also has a translate function . I don't really care if you doubt it or not .

29. Casually Red

Seems the Syrian rebels have announced they'll also assist erdogan in putting the boot into the Kurds

30. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Probably. I do wonder though whether or not the coming US Presidential election, combined with Erdogan demonstrating very publically to them that he is worth absolutely nothing to the Yanks, might just make them think that a Kurdish state with no other real options is going to be the best bet for them to put their regional bases in (or rather, more of their bases in).