1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tunes with long intros

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fez909, Jan 6, 2017.

1. billy_bob

billy_bob Share this tagline for MASSIVE discounts!!!!

Reign in Blood is the better album imo, but that intro has to be in the top 5 metal riffs of all time.

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Not sure I agree with the premise that an intro is up until someone starts singing :hmm:...there are many artists who are also accomplished musicians and sing so some of their music will be a combination of both and not easily broken down into intro/body etc.

An example:

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:D I think it's a fair point actually.

4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Gang Gang Dance - Glass Jar

5. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

6. Sprocket.

Sprocket. The Great Unlearning Has Begun.

7. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

I know it is not long, but a great intro none the less and worthy of a mention

8. hot air baboon

...one of these presumably...

[​IMG]

Idaho, hash tag and bluescreen like this.
  9. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Heh, I was never able to afford one of those. :D

hot air baboon likes this.
  10. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Jaydee's ‘Plastic Dreams’ feels like it's a longer intro than it is (about 1.5m)

Fez909 likes this.
  11. hot air baboon

12. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

Another fave of my ( sorry about the German :D )

13. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

I agree, what is an intro? Anyway, love that Benson track. :)

14. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

"Cancer...and my name is Larry."

Tune!!

15. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I agree that intro doesn't mean "before the singing starts". There's no singing at all on this, but the first 52 seconds are definitely intro:

Rutita1 likes this.
  16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

love that song. i like how it has loads (well 4 or so) different bits and they keep getting better and better, usually a song just has 1 good bit that you look forward to and then when it has happened it's kind of disappointing, but not this one.

This is another song that does that, you keep thinking it has got to the cool bit but no! there is still an even cooler bit to come:

17. Maggot

Maggot .

It is not worthy of a mention, cos this thread is about long intros not good ones!

18. Maggot

Maggot .

About 4 ½ minutes of very funky intro here.

Rutita1 likes this.
  19. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

If it's a song, it generally does mean "before the singing starts", though see my example of Bowie's Sound and Vision above where the intro includes singers using their voices as an instrument, rather than singing words/lyrics in the normal sense. If it's a tune rather than a song it clearly can't mean "before the singing starts", though it's usually clear upon listening where the intro ends and the main tune begins.

But in the excellent example you've posted it's an instrumental version of what was originally a song, and the bit at 52 seconds where Miles first comes in is where the singer would start to sing the words in the original version, isn't it?

20. danny la rouge

Well, I don't think it's relevant that the original was sung, what matters is that Miles is playing the melody. An intro comes before the melody or theme. Some (but not all) of the examples on the thread have other instruments playing the melody before the singer sings it. That's not really an intro. The intro is before the melody comes in, however the melody is delivered.

andysays likes this.
  21. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

So in the George Benson example even though the singing doesn't start until 4+ minutes into the song, the melody starts at around 30 seconds which would mean that the intro isn't really that long, right?

danny la rouge likes this.
  22. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

That's a really good way of explaining it for those of us without your knowledge of musical theory

danny la rouge and Cosmic like this.
  23. danny la rouge

Exactly.

I've got an excellent George Benson album called the Other Side of Abbey Road. Some of the songs have hardly any singing, but you still know which song it is because he's playing the theme (or enough of it for you to recognise it from the well known original).

Cosmic likes this.
  24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

25. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

...another Beatles themed example, the Crusaders Eleanor Rigby, no singing, intro 1 minute long...

danny la rouge likes this.
  26. danny la rouge

Good example.

27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

28. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

29. D'wards

D'wards A Lawless Brat From a Council Flat

I feel this takes 6:50 to get to the actual tune -what an intro though

30. D'wards

D'wards A Lawless Brat From a Council Flat

What a confident intro for a song from a first album (although Jimmy had probably played on 47,000 songs by that point)

hash tag likes this.