Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Nanker Phelge, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

If your road is the road I think it is, I’ve lost count of the number of times I have been overtaken. And not by boy racers only. By mothers in Range Rovers, by middle aged men, usually giving me a honk on the horn as they do so, only for me to catch up with them in 30 seconds in a queue of cars.

The speed problem is easily enforced by police, I think you can request them to come out if there is a problem. Although if they just do it once or twice, it won’t have a lasting impact. Just as the people who got ticketed every day for two weeks on the new yellow lines outside my house kept coming. Individuals might get put off from repeating it but no overall change in behaviour.

snowy_again likes this.
  2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

but they don't enforce it - I don't think they even have time for that anymore - even the funny little car with the camera on top has disappeared. We had a community meeting at the school with Lambeth about the problems - last year one of the kids was run over by another parent - and I really felt for the 2 Lambeth employees who came - they looked close to tears - their colleagues had all been made redundant. They said speed cameras couldn't be put up because there was no money to do so.

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Aren't London Council's pushing for a law change to take over enforcement of fines and license points on driving offences - given that the Met are too busy?

4. gaijingirl

I don't know.

5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The Police have had "austerity" cuts. At community meeting I attended a while back they don't even have enough resources to deal with drug dealers in local estates.

Middle aged men and mothers in Range Rovers are at bottom of the police list of priorities.

Yes they might do a few hours of fines one day.

The other thing is I meet drivers regularly. Speed cameras, Bus lanes , CPZ zones etc are all resented by the otherwise law abiding upstanding citizen. Police have enough problems without coming down hard on them.I don't think they want to.

6. oldandjaded

oldandjaded Active Member

I am kind of infavor of cpz to be honest. I have a driveway which is almost impossible to use when people just decided to encroach a couple of inches or even better just park across it entirely.

Mrs (notold)andjaded doesn't agree with me.

7. discobastard

discobastard edited

This is tomorrow up on the steps of St Luke's Chruch in West Norwood - final Feast event of the year. Lots of food and gift stalls in the Church. Should be fun.

Feast Xmas Lights.jpg

Smick likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

9. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Looks like a car has taken out a lamppost or set of traffic lights opposite the empty Ford car dealership...

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

It was a small van...which got trashed.

Saw it it being taken away by a recovery vehicle around 5pm

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Also discussed here by the way

Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

12. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I never drive down that road if I can help it. The gridlock at the far end is awful. I don't know why they allow parking on both sides when it clogs the road up completely.

BusLanes likes this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

14. M0llyMols

M0llyMols New Member

Random question guys. Single yellow line on Norwood rd. Brockwell park side. Anyone know when you can actually park on it is it after 7 and on weekends?? Thanks

15. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

No idea, sorry. There'll be a sign nearby with the hours.

16. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Parking restricted Mon-sat, 07-1900
    You've got to be well brave to be the first to do it!

17. M0llyMols

M0llyMols New Member

Hee hee! Oooh! I might check it next time I drive passed on an evening to see if anyone has chanced it. Thanks!

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I've never ever been fined for parking on a single yellow outside of the controlled hours, so I wouldn't worry even if you're the first to park. It is perfectly legal. The only grey areas are Bank Holidays. You never know if you're allowed to park on a Bank Holiday Monday. I got a ticket in a Brighton that way. But it'd be okay in some other areas, depending on the local council's rules.

19. editor

editor hiraethified

Saw some guy in a car slam straight into a wall at some speed by the Railway tonight - he was closely followed by cops.

20. gaijingirl

There is someone with a black car who does park on that yellow line daily well before that. I know because it is in a really fucking inconvenient place and I have to cycle past it every day on my way home from work and it's a bit scary as it's just before one of those traffic island things (that aren't really traffic islands) so I always worry that a car will speed around behind and not know I'm there and crash into me.

I can't understand how they've been getting away with it for so long - it's been months now.

21. Smick

Can you not dob him in? If it were compromising my safety, I’d have no qualms about reporting him. I have to say, I’d be happy to see the whole of Norwood Road as a double red line. And I think those traffic islands are fairly dangerous when cars and bikes mix.

teuchter likes this.
  22. gaijingirl

Those traffic islands are scary when cars try to squeeze between you and them but the answer is to firmly take the middle of the lane so that can't happen. It isn't very pleasant when they then get all arsey and quite often they just go round into the oncoming lane anyway. There's usually at least one that's smashed up by someone driving into it.

That road is so heavily used by families and everyone really going down to the park it could really do with something to make it safer. I'd love there to be a decent bike lane there - we cycle down all the time with the kids and eventually it'd be nice if they could go by themselves but not with it the way it is at present.

23. Smick

It’s an arterial bus route, which probably prevents some of the pavement being given over to separated cycle route. The stop around Deronda Ave makes it difficult for even pedestrians to get along the road. But I think double reds, get rid of the islands, maybe with an extra crossing, and a broken line cycle lane could help. Cycling down to Herne Hill, when there’s a car behind you which won’t overtake and you come to a parked car and have to move out. It’s terrifying.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

25. gaijingirl

editor likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

The Railway was blooming magnificent last night. What a crowd!

27. gaijingirl

It was so busy even when we were there (early). Much much busier than previous years.

BusLanes and editor like this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

29. oldandjaded

I see we have a new toilet opposite probin road. Biggin hill had the same, everyone complained and it was moved

30. oldandjaded