1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Nanker Phelge, Oct 13, 2013.

1. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Told you so ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that I saw a branch in Sydenham too.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep, there is. The beginnings of a chain!

4. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I can't stand the chef owner at la casa...he's a jumped up prick.

I went into the kitchen at lal. Wouldn't recommend it tbh. Not clean. They had shit loads of poppodoms already cooked in large, very greasy and dirty looking containers on the highest shelves up near the ceiling. Weird.

I'd just like to point out it was Thimble Queen that pointed people in the direction of GC so she should get props!

I'm just cooking at home from now on and am seriously considering selling on uber eats seeings as cooking is my thing...I'll let you know if I start if you want some proper punjabi scran.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  5. Maharani

Did they look like hippies?

6. Maharani

Not a hipster run joint. The owner is really nice and they have a good selection of stuff. I've only been in twice for a treat mind

7. Maharani

Apparently it's totally rotten inside. No one wants it.

8. Maharani

Ooooh might do that tonight to start off the 40th birthday celebrations nicely. Thanks for the tip.

gaijingirl and editor like this.
  9. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

It's a well loved old school urban fave I think I just reminded people :) I miss their black dal. So good x

10. Maharani

I'll make some me and send it ma di dhal x

Thimble Queen likes this.
  11. Maharani

I suddenly had a pang of nostalgia for the Hart. I met some decent folk in there, some rogues but mostly nice locals who I'm still friendly with now. It was a time of my life filled with drama so the Hart was the right place to be for that.

12. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I went to Majestic in West Norwood / Dulwich recently, again not cheap, but I got some great beers there. Icelandic pale ale. And i also picked up a bottle of pink port. One interesting thing I bought was some a New Zealand earl grey beer called Yeastie Boys, but I think in MCA's will, there is a stipulation that nothing which he owns creatively can be used to promote or advertise a product. So they must have ripped the name off.

I had never been to Majestic before, and I am sure someone will be along to tell me that they are a bunch of bastards, but I really liked it. The staff even carried my boozes out to the car for me, even though I am perfectly capable of doing so.

13. Smick

I will buy some Indian grub off you. I think we might live close to each other so you could do it without uber. One of my best mates from work is indian and she goes on and on about how we have no idea what real Indian food is like, just slop doled out by chefs who would never eat it themselves.

Maharani likes this.
  14. Maharani

That's why they have staff curry which is always the bomb. Village used to send me extras, the last one was rank though.

15. Maharani

Where abouts is it?

16. Maharani

Pink port? Tell me more.

17. Maharani

I'll get you a food parcel to sample next week if you like.

Ed said it would be ok plug my curry pop ups...doing one on Monday 13th November at The Railway and linking with my friends from the Sisters of Reggae for a night of spice and reggae music. Should be good.

gaijingirl and editor like this.
  18. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

For the hard of googling: Majestic is on Park Hall road - at junction with Acacia grove - close to the west side of the college, cricket pavilion side

Interesting beers, but a smaller selection than Bobs, and more or less the same price points

19. Maharani

Where's good for a roast these days?

20. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Tulse Hill gentrification is getting well out of hand :D

tulse2.jpg
    tulse1.jpg

Me76, sparkybird, editor and 4 others like this.
  21. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I usually do a Majestics wine run every couple of months. Will check the BOB prices and selection, would make a change to try them next pay day.

22. Smick

This stuff here

Croft Pink NV 50cl Bottle

You drink it with tonic water.

You can either go up to Tesco in West Norwood, take a left, straight at the Rosendale then straight at the other Tesco and it is there on the left hand side, or else go East round the South Circular and take a right immediately before Dulwich College.

Maharani likes this.
  23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy the Railway's roast (but I get a veggie roast and a decent one of those is *very* hard to come by - they've actually done a decentish nut roast in there (they used to do some kind of rank rice based affair). Also it's massive - last time I went they didn't stint on the veg. The only problem is you need to get there early as they seem to run out of food quite quickly.

We went down to the Effra Social last week Sunday and gaijinboy and the kids (we had other peoples kids too) had a whole roast chicken and he rated it. The veg roast was terrible though.

It's hard to get a good roast I think. They can never really rival home-made.

Maharani likes this.
  24. Maharani

Yeah it's my 40th so want something special.

Railway is ok but bought special. I do a mean roast so it's really hard not to be disappointed going out for one.

25. Maharani

Went into bob's and the young,very charming French man plied me with wine. What a bloody great shop! I told him he's getting good reviews here.

They're thinking of hosting pop ups and having a tap bar in the shop next door. Gave him my card for catering...he's really keen on linking up with the community to host events in there and I can do the food. Not a bad start to the birthday weekend! And lovely wine. Bought two bottles. One on tap and another deep and meaningful red. Cheers!

Me76, ringo, T & P and 1 other person like this.
  26. gaijingirl

oh I don't know then. I've never gone anywhere for a very fancy nut roast - if you put this in the TH forum because that's what you're after in this particular location, your options are pretty limited no? I would imagine the THT is the only place likely to do something fancy enough - otherwise you're looking at the Electric and whilst I love the Electric, I'm not sure that's what you had in mind for such a big event. ;):D

eta (I wouldn't risk a roast for a special meal like a 40th if you do a great one yourself tbh). I always go for something I definitely can't/won't do at home otherwise it's nearly guaranteed to be a disappointment.

27. Maharani

I posted in Brixton too. Think I'm going to look for Mauritian food or suchlike

gaijingirl likes this.
  28. gaijingirl

Hope you enjoy what you settle on and also Happy Birthday for the big day. :)

Maharani likes this.
  29. Maharani

Thanks you x

30. oldandjaded

oldandjaded Member

I am going to start drinking again so I can go to BoBs:)

Yup. Waited over an hour for a delivery (yes I am only 1 min away but I had guests) Eventually I went to pick them up my self. As they had been sitting in the oven for over an hour they were unrecognisable as pizzas and had turned into some kind of organic frisby. Shame as they had been good until then but the food and service is so much better at Addomme I think they did me a favor.

Maharani and editor like this.