Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tuesday 21 January 2020, Hamlet v Havant, National League South, 7.45pm

PartisanDulwich

Not the worst performance this season but we never looked like winning so a point dropped

Not the end of the world, just the first defeat this decade

The Rabble got going in the last 20 mins

and sang with great gusto "The moral victory" justifiably - when not distracted by dog baiting and beach balls

Their bench were often out of their technical box and over the half way line and on the pitch getting in the way of the linesmen and loads of swearing (not really a fan of that) but ref did nothing

The ref also seemed to book all Dulwich Hamlets tall players, obviously has a complex

While their goalkeeper Ross was a great sportsman (even if he refused to answer the question who he would support for Leader) , not sure about the bald-headed defender who decided to get a bit uppity with some of the rabble

Grainger was fantastic

two late goals made this look worse than it was

It was very very cold

Last edited:

Pink Panther

At 1-0 we were on the attack, a cross from the right was wrestled out of the air by a Havant player, the clearest handball you will see all season. Ref ignored it and they went straight up the park to be handed a second pen.

Hard to get a result with that backdrop.
That was the turning point and Havant seemed to gain a new lease of life after equalising with less than 15 minutes to go, while Hamlet never really threatened to score again. We halted the initial breakaway from that incident but were under continuous pressure for the 30 seconds or so until the penalty was given.

The referee gave us absolutely nothing from start to finish. (The first penalty looked soft, although it was hard to be certain from so far away.) Mullings in particular got hammered by decisions against him for 90 minutes. Booked very early after two innocuous fouls, clear fouls against him ignored. Chapman was booked for either dissent or simulation after getting pushed to the floor from behind. I don't recall us getting a free kick in their half all night.

Following a tentative first quarter Hamlet played some really nice football during the middle part of the game and always looked capable of hurting Havant again during the 25 minutes they were chasing an equaliser. Well taken goal by Mills, played in behind the defence to the right of goal he fired low across the keeper and inside the far post. It was a real disappoiment the way we just seemed to hit the wall against strong and seasoned opponents in the final ten minutes.

Team (4-4-2): Grainger - Chapman, Debrah, C.Smith, Barnes - Ainsworth, Taylor, Ijaha, Monakana - Mullings, Mills. Subs: Vose (for Taylor), Hunte (for Ainsworth), Connors, Clunis, Kearney (not used). Attendance: 844

Laurie hill

The ref was a s$$t house last night - only thing I’m surprised he didn’t do was send Mullings off. Still annoyed this morning.
We rode our luck throughout and probably deserved a draw thanks to graingers fine saves but Havant were the better team.
Home form is still a worry and will keep dragging us back down there. With a series of hard away games now, we’re going to have to beat welling at home!
Agree on midweek games - is it next season that goes to 24 teams?

Taper

Mark McGann
Very enjoyable game last night. I thought Havant were very good. On a par with Bath and Wealdstone. But the Hamlet played pretty well to contain them and to go ahead. Just need to keep the spirit and the energy up and I think we'll be OK.

jimbarkanoodle

Was quite a good game, walking up LL to the ground i had to double check i had the right day for the match, such was the absence of fans heading towards Champion Hill. Once in, it was great to not have to queue 20+ minutes for a pint, the toilets- i even easily bagged a seat for once and happily watched the game from the grandstand.

I feel aggrieved at the refs performance. Its always tricky to get a good view of penalty shouts in non-league, but giving them 2 penalties seemed rather generous. A couple of their tackles were vile, and overall Havant very much got the rub of the green.

Why was the beachball confiscated?!

Pthorne

Agree with pretty much everything posted above

• Havant were good and were deserving of the win
  • Granger was excellent
  • 2nd pen looked very soft
  • Thought their centre half Walton could/should have got a red for his tackle on Mills, was right in front of me not only was it late but high too
  • It was so so cold

Nivag

Forgot to mention that it was good to see Connors back on the field.
walking up LL to the ground i had to double check i had the right day for the match, such was the absence of fans heading towards Champion Hill.
Hahaha I had the same thought, even checked Twitter when I got to EDT and not seen any pink and blue colours.

Trimmy

Lives for Charking Picken
Was quite a good game, walking up LL to the ground i had to double check i had the right day for the match, such was the absence of fans heading towards Champion Hill. Once in, it was great to not have to queue 20+ minutes for a pint, the toilets- i even easily bagged a seat for once and happily watched the game from the grandstand.

I feel aggrieved at the refs performance. Its always tricky to get a good view of penalty shouts in non-league, but giving them 2 penalties seemed rather generous. A couple of their tackles were vile, and overall Havant very much got the rub of the green.

Why was the beachball confiscated?!
1579690567622.png
If we could have kept it off the pitch then the fun could have continued (of if their goalie had kicked it back to us). I would like to have seen the steward try and reclaim it whilst it was bouncing around the crowd.

Pink Panther

Hope the injury to Quade doesn't put him out of action for too long, has looked very comfortable in the middle recently
We'd certainly have had a better chance of holding onto the lead if he'd been out there for the second half.

Havant got a number of good shots on target, so you can argue they deserved their win on weight of chances, but Grainger was equal to most of them and that's an important part of the equasion too. They really seemed to step up a gear after the equaliser. The first time we attacked afterwards they really closed us down hard to win the ball and it looked a different game after that, whereas wile it was 1-0 they always looked vulnerable to conceding a second on the break.

Enough about the referee for now, but I shall be reviewing the highlights with more than the usual level of interest.

crocustim

The referee gave us absolutely nothing from start to finish. (The first penalty looked soft, although it was hard to be certain from so far away.) Mullings in particular got hammered by decisions against him for 90 minutes. Booked very early after two innocuous fouls, clear fouls against him ignored. Chapman was booked for either dissent or simulation after getting pushed to the floor from behind. I don't recall us getting a free kick in their half all night.
I thought the Chapman yellow was for kicking the ball away. It should have at least been a yellow apiece.

Grainger made some fantastic saves. Shame they ended up counting for little.

Pink Panther

I thought the Chapman yellow was for kicking the ball away. It should have at least been a yellow apiece.
It may well have been. I was so incredulous he didn't get a free kick in the first place I wasn't paying full attention to what happened next.

Son of Roy

Tory Scumbag Apparently!
Last word on the subject. I think it's important to record here in a politically correct way and for historical accuracy that the referee was both vertically challenged and follically challenged. I am not saying there is anything wrong with either of these states. But I hope he doesn't officiate any of our games in future!

Pink Panther

He doesn't seem to be any better as a linesman:

That's our man Mathew Buonassisi.
You wouldn't want him on the landing deck of an aircraft carrier or you'd be fishing planes out of the sea.

I'm still not sure what he's actually signalled for in that clip. Probably a penalty, as he likes giving those, although that was one of the few boxes I didn't tick on my "Buonassisi Bingo" card.