Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

"It wasn't moral turpitude, is was normal turpentine. *hic*"

nogojones and Mrs Miggins like this.
  2. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

The question now says the conviction has to have "resulted in serious damage to property or serious harm to another person or government agency"

If the DD conviction did none of those, then answering no is perfectly correct.

Love the way property comes first in the list of things they are worried about being damaged.

I really think in this case it's likely to be the ME travel as that's connected to the passport so it's reasonable to assume they might know that. The notion that they are trawling everyone's arrest records back to 2013 is not really believable.

existentialist likes this.
  3. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

So no issues with granting me a 10 year visa. No questions around convictions etc just about an overstay 10 years ago!

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

So you overstayed 10 years ago. You didn't mention this. Did you declare it in the past or did they find out some other way?

5. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

But they've let you back in since then :confused:

6. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

It had totally slipped my mind. It was visible to them at the consulate.

It was approved at the embassy, now in processing.

7. skyscraper101

But had you ever declared it in the past, or had it acknowledged in any way?

Presumably you had applied for, and had approved, ESTAs within the last 10 years, so I'm interested as to what happened.

8. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Nice one for reporting back! And glad you got in.

keybored and CANTONA like this.
  9. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

No, I'd not declared it at all. Im not sure how this has happened either but I am, of course, very grateful.

Could I pick your brain on the typical processing time now? I had my interview on Friday and the interviewer confirmed it was approved, now the status says administrative processing. Heard horror stories on this

existentialist likes this.
  10. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Yeah you didn't mention that! Every country takes overstaying visas seriously but...they've let you back in since.

God knows what the logic of it all is! :D

11. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

Im not sure but they acknowledged that was the issue but granted at time of interview anyway

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  12. skyscraper101

I'm not entirely sure, but mine didn't take long. This was in 2013 though so.. things may have changed.

CANTONA likes this.
  13. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

So it's been a week since my visa was approved but still the status page still says "Appointment". Does any one have similar experience?

14. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Just cancel all flights to the states. Or bin this thread. Whichever is easier

15. CANTONA

CANTONA New Member

??

16. Southern99

Southern99 New Member

Hello all. I got a possession charge for controlled substances last year, which culminated in a meeting with a magistrate and a fine. No previous history. I’ve been reading the forum for a year but time has gone quickly. I have an important meeting in the US coming up soon. I’ve said negative on the esta to all the silly questions. Can some kind soul from the UK with a similar staus, please confirm they’ve been to the US in 2019 with no problems? I’m starting to worry, although I’m sure it will be ok.

17. Charlie Manson

Charlie Manson New Member

Do you work for US border control?

18. Southern99

Southern99 New Member

As U75 was a source that brought me great comfort, it's my duty to feedback.

Landing in US, I had to go through a computer terminal to scan my passport, take a photo and prints, then into a queue to see the immigration officer. I got asked two questions - business/vacation and where are you staying. The guy barely looked up, stamped my passport and that was it.

As everybody here has said, theres no route integration with UK police intelligence. Be confident. Make sure you have your reason for visit well prepared. Take zero risks. I even removed my lens wipes from hand luggage. And, you'll be just fine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019