Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

I've only once had anything other than a gruff and huff entry to the US. The first time at JFK I honestly thought they'd ask me to step this way sir.

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Trickiest part for me is having to tell them who I work for (well known US media company) while at the same time downplaying it to the point of being short to not make it a conversation piece.

3. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

More to the point, chat is a good way of distracting people from being on their guard - a nice bit of disarming chat is all it needs to lower the defences enough to give something away.

These guys aren't there to make nice to tourists, so if there's a reason for having a little bit of chat, it's not human kindness or PR. Or, at the very least, anyone posting on this thread would do well to assume it isn't...

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

they may indulge in some small talk if they're bored and the computer's slow

1%er and existentialist like this.
  5. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I flew back into the UK last month - for the fifth time in four weeks due to work. The border guard was being nice and friendly asking me why I'd gotten rid of the goatie beard.

All of a sudden he went serious,looked me in the eye and quickly asked me my date of birth. I answered immediately and he smiled then let me through. He was definitely checking me out though :eek:

Keep the chat to a minimum I reckon.

6. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

totally keep the chat to a minimum, all the innocent small talk they will try to engage you in is designed to trip you up.
    genuine lol at the 'lets be nice to them and they'll be lulled into a false sense of security and let us in' chat here.
    just fucking no.

existentialist likes this.
  7. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

Two words should suffice.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  8. Charlie Manson

Charlie Manson New Member

I'd have refused you entry just because you'd had a goatie in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018