Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Dude, read the post three above yours. Just say no.

Also, don't be posting your real name on forums when your planning on lying :D

And you'll soon be laying on the beaches of Florida surrounded by koala bears and all your wildest dreams.

existentialist likes this.
  2. Foughtfulthinka

Foughtfulthinka New Member

I might have done the dumbest thing and said yes to question 3 on the etsa "have you ever been arrested for possession ..... illegal drugs"

After reading so many threads, this is a great one I made an account, im in limbo in what to do.

Ive been in trouble regarding cannabis and everything is spent.

Do i reapply? Call them say I made a mistake? Go for a visa???

Dammmmm

3. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

If you have answered yes, they will refuse your ESTA, simples.

If they have granted the ESTAI wouldn't worry.

Last time I applied for ESTAS for 4 of us, only 3 were granted, I had inadvertently answered YES to one of the questions, namely the one about indulging in terrorist activity! luckily it was my sons ESTA application. I emailed homeland security and within 2 days they had cleared the record and I could apply again!

ETA:By the way, convictions are NEVER spent in the eyes of US Immigration.

Foughtfulthinka likes this.
  4. Foughtfulthinka

Yes thats it i ticked yes for this old possession charge. Wish i had read up on it before doing it.

How long are the estas valid for before you have to reapply?

Im thinking i might have to bite the bullet and go for a Visa.

5. Foughtfulthinka

Shall I email them to say I made a mistake and lie and hope for the best??

6. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Yes. Tell them you meant to tick the terrorist box instead

Sorry - nothing helpful to add

7. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

TBH, I think you're in fairly uncharted territory here.

If I were a particularly suspicious immigration official, and someone contacted me to say "whoops, I ticked the box to say I'm Howard Marks, but actually I'm really not, and I meant to tick the box to say I'm Marks & Spencer", I'd be going "hmm, perhaps we do need to just check and see if this person is Howard Marks".

I don't know whether that is even feasible for them to do, but the point is that you've put yourself on the radar now, and it all gets a bit uncertain. For all I know, the threshold at which they decide to actually check the truth of what you declare might be quite high, but you're not really going to know. And the problem is that getting caught lying seems to be a dealbreaker.

I guess it depends if you want to take the risk. But the least-risk option probably is to say "oops, ticked the wrong box, here's my corrected form" and see what happens.

8. Foughtfulthinka

That certainly would make it more interesting

9. Foughtfulthinka

Thanks, yes I fully understand that and won't be doing that.

How long is an ESTA valid for?

10. TruXta

TruXta tired

Two years, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Foughtfulthinka likes this.
  11. anguskhan

anguskhan New Member

Hi recently i got an caution for getting caught with cannabis i am going to Las Vegas in September i went their last year for 1st time got my finger prints done just wondering will the check the records and see my caution or should i tick the no button on my estaform i just worried that uk and usa might now share information on stuff like this thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018 at 8:13 PM