1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Arrived safe and sound yesterday, after a queue of over n hour at JFk finally got to immigration and breed through. Was a bit worried as the agent didn't want to take my photo, unlike everyone else. He didn't say why, but I was waiting for a tap on the shoulder as I walked off, and an invitation to join them in secondary!

uk benzo likes this.
  2. 1927

Interesting in an effort to speed things up, those who have been admitted previously on an ESTA were being waved through into the US citizen line!

uk benzo likes this.
  3. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

Have a great time in US of A!

4. 1927

Hasn't stopped raining torrentially yet, the Pumpkin flotilla in Central Park had to be cancelled and we've spent a fortune trying to keep 2 9 year olds entertained in the rain! haven't seen a skyscraper yet as the visibility has been so poor all day we can only see bottom 30 floors!

5. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Boo!

6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I honestly have no idea.

I'm not sure I'd want to go and work in America with that megalomaniac in power if I were Saudi!

7. Mark Thomson

Mark Thomson New Member

Hi everyone, I have convictions for possession with intent to supply of cannabis, possession of a class A, burglary and theft from 22 years ago, when I was a teenager. I got three months in a young offenders' institution. If I go the ESTA route and lie on it, do you think my convictions will show?

8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

No.

Next

Reekydeeky, Jay Park and trashpony like this.
  9. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

:D
    Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 09.32.20.png

wiskey and pogofish like this.
  10. Mark Thomson

Mark Thomson New Member

11. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

Read the last 10 pages of the thread, and make a wild guess... :)

equationgirl and pogofish like this.
  12. 1927

You got a choice as everyone has, lie on the ESTA and keep fingers crossed that you get on. The ESTA will almost certainly be approved and the chances of being found out are as close to zero as you an get as already explained as the UK do not share records with the US unless a request is made through Interpol and that aint gonna happen.

Or, you can tell the truth on ESTA form and it WILL be rejected and you will have to go down the VISA route. If you do that you WILL have to disclose your record, and the chances of getting a VISA are 0%,

Up to you!

13. Mark Thomson

Mark Thomson New Member

Thanks everyone - so you don't think it's an issue that some of the crimes involve 'moral turpitude'? I don't see how it would affect access to records, but saw some comments on this thread that it might.

14. Visa route - 99% certainty of rejection and barring for a decade( assuming you decide to play the honesty card and rely on compassion and clemency - it doesnt work BTW)
    ESTA route -99% certainty of getting in ( assuming you have everything in order, have money & are not some kind of wanker at the border)

Jay Park likes this.
  15. Johnbob1

Johnbob1 New Member

I have a conviction for moral turpitude I was given a six month sentence which I only served nine day can I get into the us. It have been 10 years since my conviction

16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

only served 9 days?? are you on the run? :hmm:

17. Johnbob1

Johnbob1 New Member

No the judge said he was too harsh as it was my fist offence so he decided to recall me and realease me.

18. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

The advice is the same, anyway, because I don't think the US is going to be interested in the length of the sentence.

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. 1927

Read the fucking thread!

20. ^^^

And answer NO on the ESTA and enjoy your trip.

pogofish likes this.
  21. Oddball

Oddball New Member

Have a couple of conviction 25+ years ago - relatively minor but over the MT threshold. Breezed through JFK on ESTA.

However, what I would say is that the anxiety for the previous couple of weeks, right up to going through, was a complete nightmare. If I'd been pulled and denied entry it would have killed the holiday for the family as everything was booked in my name.

If I'd had the time (last minute surprise thing) I'd have gone the VISA route - you never know when you're going to be the subject of a random check (or if they change the access rules to PNC). Also, now in a quandary for if I to go the VISA route next time I'm now going to have to answer some tough questions about why I went ESTA this time.

Upshot is, if you have time and not had anything dodgy for a while - go VISA before booking your holiday. Save yourself some seriously sleepless night.

22. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

But if you got in on the ESTA why on earth would you draw attention to yourself by applying for a visa?

Funnily enough the 'just tick no' advice in pretty much every post on this thread does work.

ddraig, Bahnhof Strasse and trashpony like this.
  23. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Was it aggravated moral terpitude or turpitude with intent?

Pickman's model likes this.
  24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

fisting is moral turpitude? i'm shocked.

ddraig likes this.
  25. If your conviction is old there will be no way, even with an enhanced check that the US authorities can find out about it. That can only happen if you tell them, which you would if you declared it and that WOULD bar you from entry, doubly so as you have already lied on an ESTA.

Unless your conviction was quite serious and resulted in multiple years of incarceration then an ESTA with NO boxes ticket will be fine.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM
  26. 1927

Seriously folks do not follow this advice! If you go the VISA route and have convictions you will NOT be granted a VISA!

27. Oddball

Oddball New Member

It does work for the vast majority of times (in 2015 <0.5% of arrivals were denied entry). However, you don't know how many get caught by random checks (they do happen). You also don't know (won't know) when there will be an agreement to give live access to the PNC - the technology is there, it's just a matter of politics (they won't give us access to theirs so they don't get it to ours - this may change - and you can guarantee they'll keep it quiet when it does).

To clarify, as it's not an absolute given that you're going to get through (incredibly small chance granted) and if your holiday is massively expensive and you have old minor convictions, save yourself the anxiety and go VISA if you can. I've known people with old drugs convictions (minor possession) being granted waivers. From what I've read elsewhere, unless you have recent serious convictions you should be fine. It's just a massive pain in the arse.

It's a matter of weighing up the risks v consequences (for me - considerable). If you're not arsed, go for it and enjoy.

28. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

Yes, because a lot of people decided to apply for a Visa and didn't even get that far.

What evidence of this is there? How are they carrying out these 'random checks' given they don't have access to the PNC?

Evidence?

It is an absolute given you'll get through if you tick no. It really isn't if anyone follows your idiotic advice. You do appear to be the first person to come along in years with 'honesty is really the best policy' advice so I commend you for that.

existentialist, ddraig and pogofish like this.
  29. 2hats

2hats ☢️

Except it’ll be obvious when ESTAs are being swiftly rejected in the cases of applicants with checkered pasts they themselves have not disclosed.

30. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Careful now, they'll punch your lights out

Oddball and Pickman's model like this.