1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Waveydavey

Waveydavey New Member

I heard of a lass getting taken off a plane for a minor caution when young. She applied properly and got in eventually. It's a ball ache though. Maybe you be luckier. Wanna take that risk? Go Guatemala instead or somewhere nice. Usa overrated and full of flag waving nuts

2. Waveydavey

Waveydavey New Member

I don't think the times gonna make a difference. Im guessing it's not like they're gonna spending longer on you than anyone else (unless your a welsh Muslim?!) just cos you get the application in early.

3. robyn_20

robyn_20 New Member

Why 7 years? Thanks for your concern but I am definitely happy with my current boyfriend. The crime didn’t involve drugs/murder. Obviously gbh is a serious crime but surely they’re looking for ‘real criminals.’

4. Silas Loom

Silas Loom Mum's primitive, acidic pear crumble (7,7)

This thread proves that a website offering a mix of free and premium information on travelling to the US with a criminal record would be a reasonable money spinner for anyone with a bit of time on their hands.

5. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

If he’s been convicted of gbh he is a real criminal!

ddraig, robyn_20 and Silas Loom like this.
  6. robyn_20

robyn_20 New Member

Haha no I understand he is a real criminal, sorry should of worded that better! I mean aren’t they more interested in preventing people involved with drug crime/murderers into the country? Or maybe not judging by your reply...

7. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

Hi All

Read through the comments and I am feeling hopeful. In April I had a caution for malicious contact (stupid family feud) I have not been arrested so obviously ticked no to the ESTA question on criminal record, it said nothing about cautions ect only arrests. On the finger print details on the border that caution wont automatically show up will it? I've read the thread ect and everyone says it wont but its getting close now and I am getting worried lol views would be appreciated? Thanks

8. TruXta

TruXta tired

No it will not.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  9. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

Thank you - I think I was just looking for some confirmation from a stranger, not friends family telling me it will be fine. Ive read so much other stuff on the net - 99.9% says it wont and then there 0.01% that says yes, then you start worrying. haha. Lost in the net then - thanks for replying so quick and the reassurance :)

ruffneck23 likes this.
  10. 1927

Cos strangers on the inter web are always the best people to rely on for 100% sound advice!

11. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

well 99% of post advise the same thing...there is no check on cautions ect only major crime and non flyers so I am thinking it will be fine.

12. Reekydeeky

Reekydeeky CrystalXXX

Hey..
    I Said I'd come back and let you all know how i got on....
    I applied for a visa application and PAID the fee. I Cancelled my application and applied for esta instead because I didn't think the visa would have been accepted.
    Everyone on here has said about lying on esta but no one has came back and said about applying for both.

I got in without a blink of an eye. Easy peasy. They asked where I was going, how long I was staying for and how much money I had. That was it!

Just go and take the risk, chances are they don't have a clue. The officer I had barley even looked at his computer. So NO THEY WON'T FIND OUT!! :)

13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

14. TruXta

TruXta tired

Well, I'll be damned! ;)

15. 1927

The point i was trying to make was that friends and family have said it will be fine, but you chose not to trust them and seek advice of strangers! Im sure you'll be fine too!

16. 1927

Can we close the thread now?

HORRORFAN and trashpony like this.
  17. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

I see your point - I think I am just working myself up over nothing but I never been in trouble and I was mortified over the caution - I have read thread over thread and they all say the same thing, they do not have access, so I know I am being daft lol. Its made me so anxious recently and I am not an anxious person. I will let you guys know when I am back. Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate it. I think I should stop researching now haha

not-bono-ever and ddraig like this.
  18. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

I am getting close now and still a little worried haha. I cant wait to come back and hopefully provide good news. I feel I have answered correctly anyway as the ESTA only asks - Have you been arrested or convicted of a crime, which I have not, so I feel I can honestly say if they ask, that I haven't. I wish I was not so worried about this. I have told myself not to research anymore, and I have lol. Still no change is research - they do not have access. I cannot wait to hopefully be in the hotel, have a good nights sleep and enjoy my holiday

19. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

this makes me feel better - I will going soon. Only have a caution so hopefully will fly through. You have settled me a bit..tar

20. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

of course you'll fly through. they treat new ESTAs different to people that have been in before. If you go to Miami you put details into a machine that spits out a receipt saying "computer says no". Don't be alarmed.

21. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

I went to Miami and Orlando last year, no issues - no caution then - this year is a different state. I technically haven't lied, I have not been arrested, just cautioned - the ESTA only specifically asked about arrests. Anyone I cant thank all you all enough for your responses. I will be a lot calmer going through after all these posts and threads - thank you all. x

22. laceyb22

laceyb22 New Member

I got it and it came up no live trace. When I rang up only the final thing was on record, which is not a crime of moral turpitude.

Also I rang the unlock group who were able to give advice on travelling abroad with criminal backgrounds and what route to go through. Found them really helpful. I would recommend anyone on this thread who is still unsure to give them a call.

23. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

I am confused on what to do. I mean if they do not have access how can it show? Plus there was no arrest, I have never been arrested so I have not lied on the ESTA?

24. TruXta

TruXta tired

Why confused?

25. HORRORFAN

HORRORFAN New Member

with the ACRO trace mentioned above ect. I have researched this morning, do they have ACRO routine access? The result shows as no, they can request it but it is very rare they do this. I do feel confident as I was never arrested ect ect. I am just gonna go with as I am now. I have never outstayed my visa ect and been a good girl on previous visits. I see the biometrics are taken just to ensure you go when you say you will and you do not commit a crime while there. I see Interpol only shows a red flag when you are wanted or a murder, pedophile or major drug baron ect. So again I am 100% safe on that area. I know its a roll of the dice so I am going to roll it and hope I am not that one percent who is unlucky. I will be travelling alone, so I am a bit nervous that that makes me look a bit more suspicious but I will not be travelling back on my own so hopefully that will rectify this.

The ACRO info I seen where is advises they do not have routine access was last reviewed and updated August 2017 so I am confident that is correct. Again with all the people on here who have been through I am confident that I will be fine...its just that little niggle there isn't it lol without sounding racist, I am white and a British Citizen, it seems the only issues they seem to have it with people from certain countries at present.