1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

British citizen born in the U.K. and lived here all your life, it won't be the lack of ties, it's the DUI I'm afraid. Not much you can do about that now though. Go for an airline that doesn't fly direct to the US, Emirates or such like?

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  2. 2hats

2hats

Emirates currently fly direct to something like ten destinations in the US.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  3. Bahnhof Strasse

Not from the U.K. they don't, only Milan to New York for Europe-US with them.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  4. 2hats

2hats

That’s correct. I didn’t state otherwise: they do fly direct to the US.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  5. Bahnhof Strasse

I know that, all I meant was a carrier that doesn't fly direct from the UK to the US. Science, inn'it.

6. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

The ACRO.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  7. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

My wife was refused a tourist visa because she didn't have enough ties to the uk (even though she lived in London and was married to a Brit). Apparently being South American, with no kids or job is too sus :rolleyes:

8. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

Its always been the same with the US- probabaly worse now- you really need to load your visa application with as much filler as you can to show you have ties with your home country - mortgage, pets, ongoing university courses- anything to underline that you are not likely to jump ship once you arrive and start working illegally. An exception was The Irish, who usually got an easy ride - but I can imagine that has tightened up significantly of late

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  9. Bahnhof Strasse

Which you don't have to provide?

10. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

You do if applying for a visa!

11. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Gutted, thank you for your advice

12. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Thank you!

13. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Hi people, so I went for another interview at the US embassy, London yesterday for a DS-160 C1/D visa for a cabin crew job (after going last week but getting refused under section 214, so thought I'd try again with more info) and I got refused again, this time the officer actually explained that I got refused because of my recent DUI conviction (November last year) and nothing to with not being able to show strong ties to U.K. as in Section 214. He suggested to possibly try again end of the year but he didn't seem positive I'd even get it then, just shrugged his shoulders! It's so frustrating, does anyone know how much time I should leave it before I stand a chance of being accepted? They are so vague and don't give you much help at all. I have read that other people have been accepted with a DUI so I don't understand how they judge it, unless it is all about time?

14. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I would have thought that you should leave it long enough to prove that you aren't stupid enough to drink and drive again. How long that is is... Well how long is a piece of string.

At least you know now.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  15. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Yes true.