1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by slish66, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Kate jackson

Kate jackson New Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Travel agents don't normally keep track of what you tell them, unless you're telling them you're going to do something stupid and dangerous. In which case they would maybe alert the authorities. And US immigration sure as shit does not have a database of allegations forwarded to them by said agents.

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

If in doubt and really para. Fly through Shannon, or Dublin, and clear immigration before getting on the longhaul plane.

4. Kate jackson

Kate jackson New Member

5. Kate jackson

Kate jackson New Member

6. skyscraper101

Don't worry. If you have a problem, you'd be the first case I've heard on this 47 page thread.

editor likes this.
  7. Kate jackson

Kate jackson New Member

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it's highly unlikely they would have any inclination to include any notes that could put your trip in jeopardy. If nothing else, doing so would make you far less likely to book with them again.

9. Kate jackson

Kate jackson New Member

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Assume supreme incompetence and a total lack of information sharing when it comes to all matters US border related. There's no guarantee that you won't be unlucky, but as far as I know, no one who has posted on this long, long thread in similar circumstances to you has ever been turned away.

11. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Is that your real name Kate jackson? You do know they are reading this thread, right?

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can't even imagine a world where the American authorities would manage such skills. Plus there's probably hundreds of 'Kate Jackson's' who come in every year.

13. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I've had similar, one time I was sent to secondary and it came up that I had 2 visa's, one in my UK passport and one in my Brazilian passport, they found it "unbelievable" that I wouldn't always use the same passport. I explained that I use my Brazilian passport for "official visits" because I usually travel with other Brazilians and my UK one when I travel for pleasure, I also explained that it could also depend on where I was traveling to when I left the USA, as which passport I used could make it easier to enter the country I would arrive in, that put them on tilt and I had to explain it all again to their supervisor.

They were sure I was "up to something" :)

Fez909, skyscraper101 and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And now you've scared her off!

15. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

It was just a little joke :thumbs:

16. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Spunky Slug

Not entirely sure what Kate jackson's issue was, but travel agents do not routinely talk to the authorities about people who book flights. If they are going to the US or overflying US airspace the passenger's name and date of birth is supposed to be given to the US authorities at the time of booking, but incorrect information has no effect of people's travels at all.

17. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

You scared her away, she has deleted all her posts :D

18. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I had a residence visa (of a sort that no longer exists that was supposed to make it easier to apply for a free card.) however I didn't apply for a free card, I moved back to Germany. This *blows* their minds. Because why would you have the right to live in the US and go back to Europe?!

19. skyscraper101

Lol, I had a friend like that who moved to LA from London the same time as me. He was Bulgarian and had lived in London for years, had British citizenship, flat in London... But whereas I was starting to get tired of living there by the third year, and hinting at moving back to England, he was like... but why?? Why wouldn't you stay 5 years to get your green card?? And then be USA citizen?? Are you crazy?? :D

Maybe its an old Eastern Bloc mentality but he was OTT in his obsession with getting a green card.

20. 2hats

2hats

I’m pretty sure cosmonauts and taikonauts don’t have to inform the US authorities in advance :p

21. Bahnhof Strasse

Tweeting it now, #orangetwat will deal with this threat to national security.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    pogofish likes this.
  22. Mexas

Mexas Member

For those that have been to the US, what are the questions you get asked by CBP Officers at Immigration?

I'm going to Vegas sometime this year (already booked ha!), I'm curious whether I will get asked outright whether I have a criminal record or not.

I've been browsing this thread for a couple of years now, I'll definitely come back and post what experience I had was with US Immigration.

23. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Top lurking. I can't remember being asked about a criminal record, I suppose it might happen. They generally ask where you're coming from, where you're going, what you plan to do, people to see etc. Nothing particularly threatening that I recall.

Miss-Shelf and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  24. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Hi there, I had an interview yesterday for a DS-160 visa in London as I'm to start a job in long-haul cabin crew. I was there all of 3 minutes and she refused my application. Apparently it was under section 214 act, which basically means I didn't prove myself to have strong enough ties to the UK and wasn't an immigrant threat! Even though I took an official letter with me to the embassy from my new employer stating I would be cabin crew, only lived in the same address all my life and only needed it for work purposes The thing is I do have drink driving on my record and that was only from oct last year, would that be the reason even though they said it was because they didn't feel I provided enough evidence to prove why I wanted a visa etc? Does anyone have any knowledge on this? TIA

25. Bahnhof Strasse

They wouldn't know about any drink driving conviction unless you told them about it, in which case yes, that would prevent you being granted a visa.

You have lived in the same house all of your life? Is that in the UK / are you British?

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  26. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

But if applying for a visa you'd have to get a printout of all criminal convictions so they would know.

Cabin crew84 likes this.
  27. Bahnhof Strasse

What print out is that then?

28. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

:D

Thimble Queen likes this.
  29. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Pushing cops is like punching nazis. It's not moral turpitude. Just lie your arse off.

30. Cabin crew84

Cabin crew84 New Member

Hi thanks for your reply, yes always lived in the same address and yes I'm English. No but because it's for work I didn't want to risk lying to them, I got an ACRO report which I took with me, so they can see it's my only offence, I've read online unless you have multiple DD convictions they don't take it too seriously only more serious crimes?