Travellers vs New Age Travellers

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Mrs D, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Could anyone point me to some reading on the subject of interactions (positive or negative) between New Age travellers on the one hand and Irish travellers and/or Romani on the other in England and Wales please?

Am I right in thinking that they often tended towards different geographical regions e.g south west vs east/north or is this a misconception?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. cypher79

cypher79 Banned Banned

Irish and Roma travellers like to steal shit and stab people.....New Age travellers don't.

likesfish likes this.
  3. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

This although the ' brew crew ' can get well lairy

likesfish likes this.
  4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Wtaf. If that’s a joke it’s a crap one.

Ralph Llama, tim, Celyn and 23 others like this.
  5. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

6. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

I was honestly expecting an Anchorman-style video when I read the title.

7. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

8. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Fuck off. This is racist shit.

tim, krtek a houby, Libertad and 21 others like this.
  9. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

cypher79 That's bang out of order. Even if it is a 'joke'.

10. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

On my way to play with some Gypsies in the woods (sorry mum), but will reply properly when I'm back.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  11. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Matey, I'm known to have a "robust sense of humour" - but that's not really on - I'd suggest you edit ASAP and offer an apology - if you do I'll remove the quote from my post

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:hmm:

13. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

And you can fuck off too.

It's not really clear whether these two posts were failed attempts at humour, but racism against travellers/Roma is so common that even if you were 'pretending' to be racist it is immediately too convincing.

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

15. butchersapron

Couple of nice likes on this filth as well.

16. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

What the fuck made you think it's OK to say this? And what the fuck made likesfish and ruffneck23 think it was OK to like it?

Get some self respect.

17. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

I really wasnt trying to be racist and wholly apologise if it came across like this , to be honest i was more referring to some of the ' travellers ' ( not Roma's tbh ) around my own area who have robbed my friends and nicked some horses,dogs and do go round fighting in my local pubs , and I realise that I shouldn't judge a whole community of people by my limited experience.

18. danny la rouge

...by anything really. But well done for owning up.

19. butchersapron

It's OK. They'll both have an experience to back it up. Likefish will trot out his usual bollocks about a playground.

redcogs and danny la rouge like this.
  20. danny la rouge

I was once sucker-punched in the kidneys by a Protestant as a kid. Fucking Protestants.

21. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Ignoring the bollocks and responding to the OP, my impression is that there is something of an east/west divide - there are certainly areas with a stronger/larger community of ‘traditional’ travellers than others - Essex, Durham and Lincolnshire spring to mind, which are all on the east of the country.

I’d associate ‘so-called New Age Travellers’ as the Mail would put it more with the West Country and Wales - partly because there is more hippy/Druid type shit in theses areas which have been a focus of festivals and the scene that things grew out of. Also know people on sites around Brighton.

There’s also issues of affordability of housing that come into play, up north there’s more new age communities in housing because it was very affordable to live in places like Hebden Bridge a few years back, whereas down south it’s been out of reach for some time so caravans/boats are an alternative, especially after squatting became less achievable (due to the same rise in property value causing a drop in unoccupied places).

William of Walworth likes this.
  22. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

It's going back a bit but as a teenager I used to go fruitpicking of a summer in the company of (what are now called) travellers. That was in the Vale of Evesham, which is westish. Of course, a lot of the other agriculture that side of the country is cows and sheep, which don't have much scope for casual seasonal workers.

23. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Loads of Irish travellers both settled and in housing and on the road in the North West.

24. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

tbh I don't remember any Irish component in those days, in my hazy memory they were just called gypsies and had westcountry accents. There are horse fairs in Priddy and Stow on the Wold, both west.

25. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

There’s traditional traveller groups pretty much everywhere, just thinking where I know of larger groups. The39thStep is right about the NW too (proximity to ferry ports a factor I imagine), maybe more of a northern and eastern thing, I know there is quite a big focus on things like Appleby horse fair (Cumbria) which brings a lot of people from NE and NW communities.

seventh bullet likes this.
  26. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Fuck amach agat moron.

Even your pea brain can work that out in English, no?

27. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Some Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessments carried out by English Local Authorities included questions on whether people would be happy sharing sites with different travelling communities, but other than that I don't know of any specific research, or other literature dealing with the interaction between New [age] Travellers and Romany or Irish Traveller communities. The following are generalisations, based on anecdote and my experiences of working with and spending much time with Romany Gypsy, Irish Traveller and New Traveller communities.

Romany Gypsies can be scornful of New Travellers and at times openly hostile. Gypsies may see New Travellers as appropriating parts of their culture, (at times with justification), being responsible for the anti-Traveller sections of the 1994 Criminal Justice & Public Order Act, (increased powers of eviction and the abolition of the duty to provide sites), as dirty, (one term I've heard used for New Travellers is shit-in-buckets!), and immoral. New Travellers living on Gypsy sites may be viewed with suspicion - any new Gypsy moving onto site would be quickly identified by who their family were, but a New Traveller's background would likely be unknown.

Irish Travellers, Romany Gypsies and New Travellers rarely mix by choice, but with a nationwide shortage of sites, may be forced to live alongside one another. New Travellers may be regarded as unjustified competition for scarce resources, as their lifestyle is by choice and not a part of their ethnic identity.

Politically active Romanies and Irish Travellers are more likely to recognise New Travellers as allies, rather than enemies. Several Gypsy and Traveller support organisations have roots in the New Traveller community, the editor of the Traveller Times, some of the best planning consultants and activist lawyers all come from a New Traveller background. In the past effective lobbying and campaigning has been hampered by an unwillingness to work together with other travelling groups, but there are encouraging signs of a new coalition coming together to fight the government's plans to criminalise trespass and also in the response to the use of Public Space Protection Orders by Sussex councils.

There's not really a geographical divide. In the past there tended to be a greater concentration of New Travellers in the South West than in other parts of the country, partly because that's where the festivals usually were, but this isn't so true these days.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  28. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

29. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

Less we forget...

[​IMG]

30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Not sure I agree that some people end up in cheaper living arrangements by choice or that certain living arrangements are inherently attached to ethnicity. But sure they’ve been doing it longer and may see newcomers as interlopers.