1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Iran on a British passport

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by punkyfish, Jan 11, 2018.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Contact the Foreign Office, as the Iranian have great respect for diplomatic niceties. A personal letter of recommendation from the Foreign Minister will open doors for you with the authorities in Iran, allowing you access to undiscovered places well off the normal tourist track. These doors may, of course, be slammed and locked after you go through them and remain undiscovered.

cupid_stunt and Spymaster like this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Totally, Jim. But we have SOME cognitive input in the extent to which we do that.

Once again, I draw the line at directly contributing tourist tax to states who judicially endorse punishment blindings, executions of children, punitive amputations, stonings of women, and mass public hangings of homosexuals from cranes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Because we are all primarily consumers and the only effect we can have on the world is by changing patterns of consumption. :rolleyes:

Do you think having less contact with people from the rest of the world will actually stop them hanging gay people? Are they using tourist dollars to pay for the rope or something? Doesn't increased communication with people from parts of the world where it's not acceptable gradually change what's acceptable there?

4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The food's probably not too great though, Tim.

5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

What bit of 'knowingly contributing to a STATE' do you not get?

6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Attached Files:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  7. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Well, maybe that's the tourist paradox, those used to Westernised restaurant versions of Iranian food may find the delicacies served in places like Evin rather challenging, but such dishes reek of authenticity.

Spymaster likes this.
  8. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

The bit where all of society and culture have been reduced to a balance sheet and the many benefits of inter cultural exchange are ignored because you can't translate them to money.

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

See post 66

10. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Tell you what. If I can have my twenty-nine year old body and libido back you can hold me to the opinions I had then. Which aren't even that strongly in favour of boycotting if you actually read it.

Spymaster likes this.
  11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

So you've changed your opinion regarding the boycotting of states with regimes that strongly disgust you. Fair enough (convenient though ;))

I haven't, wrt the likes of Iran.

12. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

By the way, my mother who is a very strict follower of the Israel boycott visited Israel and Palestine on holiday last year for the second time. I don't think she's a hypocrite.

13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Neither do I if that's her principle.

14. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

No. I said then I didn't follow the boycott. And I can guarantee I was either naked or wearing Marks and Spencer pants when I typed it.

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

if you had some iranian dates you'd soon change your tune

16. Pickman's model

can you name somewhere your suggestion has actually worked?

17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Yet you didn't seem too sure about that in post #70

I think I should dust off some Jimmy Hill pics ;)

18. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

On a national level or a personal level?

19. Pickman's model

national

20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I'd be up and down like maomao on a seesaw

21. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Easy. My example is lots of countries enabling gay marriage at around the same time because of the free flow of people and ideas between those countries. Or is it all just a massive coincidence?

22. Pickman's model

no you wouldn't.

23. Pickman's model

right. so your view is that the uk went for gay marriage, not because of what people here felt, but because of what people in other countries felt. and the same thing in a load of countries - the indigenous populations had nothing to do with it, it was all contact with people from abroad.

you may want to think this over

24. Pickman's model

maomao have you a shred of evidence to back up your contention, you know something like someone saying 'we'd never have done this if it hadn't been for the people from abroad'?

Spymaster likes this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Are you seriously suggesting that a credible reason for visiting de facto sharia states as a tourist is to increase their tolerance levels and instil western values??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

26. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

No. I don't think that. And you wouldn't think that I thought that if you had an ounce of wit about you.

27. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Fucking astonishing, isn't it? :D

28. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Do you have a shred of evidence to back up your countering assertion that it's all a massive coincidence and the people of said countries were entirely unaware of the situation in other parts of the world.

29. Pickman's model

yeh. so you didn't in fact mean what you said in post 63
    because as you say there was a great wave of sudden legislation. personally, i'm more of the view that in e.g. america it was the culmination of at least 45 years campaigning. but you don't see americans saying thank you to all those mexicans who have proselytized in the united states about same-sex unions. or english or whatnot.

we have you saying the free flow of ideas and people changes things gradually but your example of this is a great wave of changes, the foreign influence of which you refuse to support with any of that troublesome evidence.

anyway that's my lunch break done so i'll be back with you in a few minutes.

Spymaster likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

that's a no then

Spymaster likes this.