1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Iran on a British passport

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by punkyfish, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

You on drugs? Homosexual acts are illegal in India.

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You've lost with the India thing. I've told you I deplore it. But they don't torture people to death publicly BY LAW. Neither do they judicially execute children.

You stick up for those lovely Iranians though. Nice food, innit?

3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

His next holiday is to the glorious sunshine of Saudi Arabia.

Top grub there too. :thumbs:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. TruXta

TruXta tired

That's true, they just look the other way when it happens.

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

I don't rate the food in the Gulf much.

6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You've lost mate. Stop fucking digging.

7. Punishable by death? Or is the Indian Supreme Court on the very verge of abolishing that unenforced old legislation (a relic of the Raj) and legalising same-sex marriage?

Stop talking shit to try and prove some bullshit point.

cupid_stunt and Spymaster like this.
  8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Fuck off. Stop being a hypocrite.

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

See the sights of Iran:

[​IMG]

A little place round the corner does a cracking shashlik though.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    ElizabethofYork likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Fucking idiot.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

He's not fooling anyone.

12. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Without wishing to derail the argument, I went to Iran some years ago and didn't go as part of a group.

Had to go through an agency to get the visa and they just sorted it all out

13. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

I'd quite like to go to Iran, i'm interested in the history, culture and achitecture of the place, the food, the opportunities for walking, climbing and skiing that its fantastic landscape provides, and i'd quite like to walk from the Caucuses, through Iran and Afghanistan to western China (quite a long walk..), but i'm afraid that the current governments prediliction for imprisoning UK citizens - for years on end if neccessary - on trumped up charges in order to squeeze diplomatic and economic juice out of the UK government kind of puts Iran on the 'tempting, but not that tempting' pile..

there, simply, are lots of other no-less-interesting places to spend my ill gotten gains without a greater than neccessary chance of ending up chained to a wall for the next decade.

14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

^ you forgot to mention getting missiled by trump

15. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

On the reasons for travel bit of the visa application you put spying and the authorities actually arrange accommodation for your stay

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

My Aunt did this solo in the 70s and had all her rolls of taken photos confiscated by the Chinese border guards :(

17. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Wow, that must have been an interesting walk!
    Shame about her photos.

18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Does visiting a country imply agreement with all of its current government's policies? Because I've been to lots of places whose regimes I didn't like.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    muscovyduck, Riklet and maomao like this.
  19. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I live in one of those places

20. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Kettering is one place I wouldn't visit!

21. TruXta

TruXta tired

According to Spy and Bahnhof, yes...

22. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

23. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

It's a tense time in Iran right now perhaps as always. Might be better to wait a year. Don't go wandering around the borders, that's asking for trouble.

24. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I lived four years in China and devoted about eight years of my life to learning their language and culture. Are you suggesting that I'm somehow complicit in the Chinese government's disgusting human rights record?

ETA: just to clarify further, the first year I was there my University in the UK paid a Chinese state owned university to educate me and I paid rent to live on that campus and for most of the other three years I lived there I worked for a Chinese state school.

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Yes. Of course you are. To what degree is arguable. China is in my top 5 places not to spend my tourist money. Sometimes family commitments such as yours mean we have to travel to these places. I live in the UK so can't do much about that and there are people on here who have a travel boycott to the USA.

We all have our limits as to what we'll financially contribute to in life and tax on tourist bucks is a pretty direct contribution to the governments of the countries we visit. I'm sure I'm guilty of hypocrisy somewhere too, but I draw the line at state endorsed blindings, executions of children, amputations, stonings of women, and mass public hangings of homosexuals from cranes.

Some people will overlook all that for a nice bit of grub and some interesting architecture. Hey ho.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  26. tim

tim Well-Known Member

In law the situation in India looks rosy, it's just shit in reality.

27. tim

tim Well-Known Member

That is a misrepresentation the grub is far from top. The locals have a good sense of humour, though.

28. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

You're more complicit in the Chinese state-capital complex by consuming the many products that make it to the West (given the nature of the sort of companies who work for export or multinationals) than you would be coming here and spending money in family restaurants and hostels.

29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That’s nonsense of course because you have no idea what I consume but you have a small point. Loads of people on these boards boycot Israeli goods. My father, and then me, refused to knowingly buy South African products back in the day.

Tourism to countries whose politics you strongly disagree with is absolutely senseless.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM
  30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I don't have to know what you consume to guess that well over half will contain products of the worst state-backed corporations or the real degraders of the environment, we've outsourced so much of it here.
    Anyway, larger point, which I think holds true for Iran as well, is that barring a boycott called for by local people you really aren't more complicit as a traveller than by just existing under the current global order - we're all interacting with all sorts of regimes and agencies whether we like it or not - and chances are if you travel outside big resorts etc you'll be interacting directly with the people. Everyone I know who's been to Iran says they're mostly delighted to meet tourists and I don't think the regime uses visitor figures as part of its legitimation.

Riklet and maomao like this.