1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel in luxury with the Non League Mystery Tours

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, Aug 25, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21122447_10159168022055246_2193094785616754302_o.jpg

Because non league is all about the luxury travel and reserved areas of the clubhouse.

(Cheers Grotty!)

2. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

This was around last season as well. I...I can't imagine going for it :hmm:

3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

At that price it's got to be a National League National side...

Still bloody expensive, but if aimed at the gullible foreign tourist market, the type that usually go to Arsenal or Chelsea, it might just work...unfortunately.

4. Dulwich Mishi

Just checked their Facebook page...last season they went to Forest Green Rovers; Needham Market and Chelmsford City. 16-seater minibus...well, I can't be arsed to do the maths, but it's a nice little earner for a days work...

5. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

There are a few of these that go to Europe etc...

Why not non-league if people are silly enough to pay the prices...

Home - Football Road Trips

6. Dulwich Mishi

To be fair, yes, I couldn't agree more...if people are mug enough to fall for it...

I've never understood those over-priced European trips either.

And while we're at at...how many people who slag off 'football tourists' who come to England to watch games abroad, then get off themselves with the foreign jaunts they do themselves?

Double standards all round for those people...

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  7. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Set up a table in the disabled section at top of the stairs in stand, some mini pork pies and nibbles from Sainsbury's...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Abanico likes this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

And if we did that we'd be open to a court case under the disability discrimination act...or is it Supporters' Trust Board policy to not care about disabled fans... ;)

9. Andy Sawyer

Andy Sawyer New Member

Hi all. I've just found this and thought I should reply since I'm one of the organisers of non League Mystery tours. For a start, we're not making any money out of this in fact me and my mate (a Dulwich Hamlet regular by the way) are several hundred quid down on the deal so far. We're both massive football fans and the point of this for us is to go to new grounds and have a laugh with like minded fans. In truth it's not really aimed at regular non league fans, more on fans of football league clubs who fancy a non league experience and that's the majority of people who've come along so far. It costs an absolute fortune to hire a luxury minibus and most of the money our punters pay goes towards that and the rest goes to the club. For a club like Needham Market, having a bus load of people all paying £20 - £25 then spending money in the bar and the club shop is a god send, so perhaps you could be a tad less cynical about the whole concept. And of course a huge part of the experience is guessing where we're going! Have a look at our Facebook page or website and see what people have said about us. We're not some facelesss corporation- just a couple of football nuts!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seeing as I live in a rapidly gentrifying Brixton anything with a 'luxury' label sets me off on one. Apologies.

I wish you all the best with your venture.

clog, Pink Panther and Fingers like this.
  11. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Although I love non league... This does in the first instance smell like football's version of ghetto tourism. A bunch of poshos getting to go scoff at quaint clubs from the safety of their reserved areas.

Poster needs some work in this regards.

12. Needham fan

Needham fan Well-Known Member

I was involved when this group came to Needham's game against Bognor last season and it was a great success from all sides. The club took £20 per head, but there was no 'profit' in this as this paid for admission, programme, a buffet and the first drink from the bar. The benefit to us was additional bar takings. They were certainly not a bunch of 'poshos' - from memory, most were Millwall or Charlton supporters and although they did have a reserved table, this was simply somewhere to lay the food out and they all mixed with the Needham and Bognor supporters. Feedback was they had really enjoyed themselves and would like to come back.

13. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

I would take a trip with this group. Sounds good now the perceived corporate element is explained. Problem is I would probably end up somewhere I have been too loads of times (Bognor)

14. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

You'd probably end up at Harrow Borough!

15. Fingers

Oh yes another one ha ha

16. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Might want to promote this as not for profit then, and mark it more prominently as promoting non-league? In a simialr vein to the people that organise and promote non-league day. Might help assuage cynics who will want to have a pop...

salem, editor and Fingers like this.
  17. Andy Sawyer

Andy Sawyer New Member

To be honest it's difficult to know how to pitch it. We have had our fair share of negative comments online but everyone who's taken the plunge and come along has had a great day and we do now have a little pool of semi- regulars, who as the Needham fan says have mainly been Millwall, Charlton Palace and West Ham fans (we all get along great!) the Cristicism is often that it's expensive (it's actually £55 if booked more than 2 weeks in advance) and would be cheaper to do it yourself....and you could do it cheaper if you drove yourself, bought your own ticket, programme, food and beer. I reckon you might so that for say for £45-£50 - but you'd know where you were going, you'd be on your own and you couldn't drink so it's not exactly the same experience!!

18. Dulwich Mishi

Certainly not for me, if I am not working I'll either be at a Hamlet game, or going on a rare jaunt across the Channel somewhere. To be honest, if it's aimed at the likes of Charlton & Millwall fans, no matter how decent they may be, I don't really want to spend a day with the 'oh this is actually quite fun, I do admire these non-league fans, that's dedication watching them every week' types.

As for being on your own...well what's to stop anyone just chatting to your group at the game, or speaking to other fans, home or away, at the game?

And as for 'not drinking' you clearly don't know non-league!

To be perfectly frank, I'm not surprised you lost money on this venture so far, as it's not something I ever envisaged being a roaring success, as a lifelong non-league fan.

19. Pink Panther

On the basis that the games are going to be at least 70-80 miles from Central London it's a fair enough price for the package. Hamlet are travelling to Needham Market next month; train fare there and back from my local station would be £38 without a discount railcard (which I have) and without taking the trouble to investigate whether further savings are possible by splitting the tickets. A tenner admission (or more if the trip is to a National League club) plus programme, plus the first drink and some food is going to amount to around sixty quid.

To be fair, Andy wasn't plugging it on here; he just happened to offer further information on his venture after spotting the thread. It's basically pitched at League fans to give them a taster of non-league beyond just making the occasional visit to their local non-league club, or at least that how I would interpret it. It's not really aimed at those of us who are already immersed in the non-league game.

20. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

I don't see what people's problem is with it. It's literally bringing new people to non-league matches. I'd have thought that's a good thing. If the guys running it actually manage to get it to a point where it's making money as a business, then good for them.

21. Dulwich Mishi

I don't have a problem with it per se, but it's simply not for me.

Though, I do wonder, what would the reaction be if it was set up for trips to a certain club in Essex... ;)

22. Dulwich Mishi

And going back to the original poster, saying it's an 'antidote to modern football' I'd say it no different to, in fact apeing modern football, with trips to the San Siro for fans from the UK, or for Europeans having organised trips to matchdays in Liverpool or Manchester.

Pink Panther likes this.
  23. Pink Panther

As Editor suggested, I think it's the "luxury" minibus bit that puts people off. If it was Amin driving a clapped out former school minibus with a dodgy mot certificate it would be fully booked with Hamlet fans. Now that would be an antidote to modern football!

editor likes this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

Please don't even go there...brings back nightmares of him driving a minibus up to the Peterborough supporters' tournament in the nineties!

Pink Panther likes this.
  25. Fingers

I have done a van back from France with him :D

26. Pink Panther

I remember a trip home from Aylesbury in the dark in a vehicle with defective headlights that kept cutting out on the A41. And an Austin Princess that listed from side to side like the pitch at the old Wycombe Wanderers ground!

Dulwich Mishi and Fingers like this.
  27. Pink Panther

I'll tell you what: if I can get my housing and work situation sorted out I'd love to hire a routemaster bus for something like Dorking Wanderers away, just say "My treat, always wanted to do this, the milky bars are on me, just turn up at Champion Hill and away we go!"

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is how I'd like to arrive at a Hamlet game.

Dulwich Mishi and Pink Panther like this.
  29. Dulwich Mishi

If the worst comes to the worst...I'd rather groundshare somewhere a bit closer to East Dulwich! ;)

30. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

i think I've been on this but didnt realise it, needham away via harlow 2 seasons ago :)

Matt The Cab and Fingers like this.