Trapped. BBC4. New Icelandic detective shenanigans.

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Libertad, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Making itself at home in BBC4's Saturday international drama slot is Trapped. Imagine Cape Fear and Fargo thrown together in a whiteout.

Is anyone else watching?

Trapped, Episode 1

Shirl likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

i quite enjoyed it and look forward to the next episodes.

3. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Yeah I watched it thought a bit of a slow start and realised it's based on a book I read recently.Great snowy scenes and general foreboding.

4. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Also enjoyed it - although as peterkro says it's quite ponderous at the moment.

Saturday nights in the winter are ideal for Nordic Noir and this looks potentially very dark.

whackbangdeadly likes this.
  5. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Trivia fans, Scandi actor spotting: The ship's captain was in the first series of The Killing as the removals firm owner who was the father of Nanna Birk Larsen the murder victim. True fact.

6. Pickman's model

yeh i spotted that too

yardbird likes this.
  7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

When is this on? How many have I missed?

8. Pickman's model

bbc4 saturday, 9pm, 2 (one double bill, but on iplayer)

danny la rouge likes this.
  9. danny la rouge

Thank you.

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. Smokeandsteam

Good spot. But what about his assistant/second in command? He's familiar too.

11. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Is it detective based?

12. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Yes, police procedural type thing.

I'm really enjoying it. Very claustrophic and plenty of impending doom.

13. sim667

Puts me off :(

14. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Mr TikkiB came into the room while it was on, looked at the TV, shivered and then walked out. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. :D

15. sim667

I quite like that feel to programs, but sod watching a depressed detective delving into a whirlwind of alcoholism, family issues, self loathing, and using that to be driven to catch a murderer...... pretty much every detective story is the same.

16. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I really enjoyed it.
    Slow, ponderous to start?
    That's the kind of thing I like with my Saturday night sub-titles.

Libertad and TikkiB like this.
  17. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

The captain is Bjarne Henrikson according to Wiki:

Trapped (Icelandic TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll keep my eye on the 2ic.
    Spotting Scandi/Nordic actors is part of the fun of watching these series, well in our house anyways. We take our pleasures where we find them. :)

According to that Wiki the first episode was only broadcast on the 27th December in Iceland so we're getting it freshly hewn from the glacial ice.

Mab likes this.
  18. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

he looked like Trolls from Killing 1 at first, but i dont think it was him.

19. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Smelt more of Fortitude to me...It can't surely be as pants as that turned out :(

I do find it quite an ordeal with all of these, stressing about remembering all the connections and characters and assuming I'm missing a big piece of the action! Lucky I've got someone very patient to watch with to confirm and correct myself :oops:

20. spartacus mills

spartacus mills let's wee on each other

I liked the first two episodes though I had to get myself a blanket and warming drink...

21. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Its a great series. I watched it at home but I'm in the UK for a few weeks so it was good to see it on here - it did make me a bit homesick though. Sigglufjordur looks great in the sun (there is sun there sometimes) - you have to drive through three tunnels to get there and before they were built people in that area were totally cut off in winter. It has a herring museum and a fantastic collection of rusty ship bits. There are actors from Jar City and DayNigh/Prison shift in it. (as well as about 25% of the people you see in 60% of everything made by Iceland tv).

Attached Files:

22. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

Are you from Iceland, catinthehat? I didn't know that.

e2a: catinthehat I'd be careful who you let know or there will be unscrupulous types like Vintage Paw along in a minute who will tap you up just for free accommodation. These people are just users and you should give them short shrift, not lovely people who just want to extend the hand of friendship to those living in remote areas and just happy if that acquaintance leads to an invitation to visit a lovely fellow urb. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    idumea and catinthehat like this.
  23. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Not 'from' but I live there most of the year. I have been back and forward there for about ten years but started working and mainly living there last August.

hash tag and quimcunx like this.
  24. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

*writes down catinthehat's name as the next person I have to befriend in order to get an invite to a really cool place*

:D

catinthehat and quimcunx like this.
  25. danny la rouge

The 2nd in command is the shipping company boss from the Bridge III (husband of the mad blog woman).

The incidental music sounds very like Hildur Gudnadottir (check out her album Without Sinking if you don't know her).

Only seen episode 1 so far. Enjoying it very much. Great atmosphere and scenery. Bad weather. Dismembered corpse. Dysfunctional police boss. What more could you want?

Mab, krtek a houby and Libertad like this.
  26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Is this thing going to help me get over the gap left in my life by the disappearance of Saga ? seriously doubt it. Will give it a chance though, going from the above.

Libertad and danny la rouge like this.
  27. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Give the cold north over any Italian BBC4 show.

28. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

If the series doesn't culminate in that poor little cute boy rage-murdering those two little girl bullies, I shall be most disappointed.

29. Smokeandsteam

That one is definitely not going to end well.

The cop's ex's new fella is clearly a wrong un as well.

Libertad, zoooo and danny la rouge like this.
  30. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

Watched the first two episodes. I have to wait now for the next one? Weird.

Libertad likes this.