1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfers - Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, May 29, 2017.

1. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

The retained list is usually players who've been made offers isn't it? Do we know who's agreed to stay from the list?

2. YTC

YTC Human Man

Poids and Monkeygrinder's Organ like this.
  3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Poids, Noss and YTC like this.
  4. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Brilliant news. Delighted we've kept the two Ibra's and given that Mr. Vardy and co. were batting their eyelashes at Nathan Green, I'm pleasantly surprised we've kept him, not to mention Dumaka who cut a restless figure towards the end of the season.

Really hope the signings of Hayles and Acheampong mean that Quade is put back into midfield, too. He was so composed and elegant on the ball when he broke into the team first time round - there was more than a passing resemblance to Peter Adeniyi and he was only 17!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. Son of Roy

Son of Roy I know yoos beta than yoos know yooselfs

What about our reserve goalkeeper?

6. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

Delighted and amazed we managed to keep ALL those. I'd have thought there would have been tempting offers from levels above for at least 5 on that list, perhaps more. Big positivity for next season. B.I.G. BIG!

AndyF, Poids and Cyclodunc like this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Phil officially off his diet. God bless him.

AveryDave likes this.
  8. YTC

YTC Human Man

we didn't have one for most of last season..

9. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Whoever's available out of Phil Wilson, Chico Ramos and (gulp) Tim Brown.

10. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That list will be players who've signed contracts. I believe Phil has always been non-contract. Non-contract players can't sign registration forms until shortly before the first league match, so there won't be any official announcements of any non-contract players agreeing to sign just yet. I guess he may have verbally agreed something with the manager, otherwise it's a case of wait until the first pre-season games and see who else figures.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  11. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

12. Pink Panther

Some interesting signings for Braintree there. Bradley Quinton's Enfield Town team were a good footballing side playing attractive stuff, so the likes of Vidal & RMP should be a good fit if he can coax their best form out of them. George Sykes is a big number 9 who was a real handful for Canvey against us in the past. Those players are still relatively young and have the talent to flourish at that level.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Phil told me he is retired. Would he lie to me? Awful, if so.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  14. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

VIdal rather than Crook #2014

15. Pink Panther

He'll just keep coming out of retirement, like Tubby Morton did for Melchester Rovers whenever Charlie Carter got injured:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We can't rely on a kid to do a man's job!
    [​IMG]

B.I.G likes this.
  16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Love Roy Race.

17. Monkeygrinder's Organ

'I've retired, please leave me alone now.':p

Cyclodunc and Pink Panther like this.
  18. Moroccan Sunset

Pha! Odds on Braintree to go down this season must be fairly high. Vidal looked an absolute shadow of the player he was when he was 19/20 last season.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  19. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Braintree becoming the new Dulwich Hamlet Old Boys with Billy Crook being the latest to sign for them.

20. AveryDave

Welling did something similar last season after they went down to the National South - picking up a load of players from the Isthmian Premier, including Brown, Nelson and Waldren from us, and Rickie Hayles from East Thurrock. They had a terrible start, and quite a few players landed back with the clubs they came from after a month or two.

And I wouldn't particularly say Braintree are picking up the best of the Isthmian Premier - Billy Crook had a great season, McDonald's a decent goalkeeper, and he's going to like his ex-players, but Okoye and Vidal very nearly went down with Merstham, Sykes did go down with Canvey, and we know how hot and cold RMP can blow. As Moroccan Sunset says, odds on them struggling have got to be greater than them doing okay.

One other thing springs to mind on this - if Quinton's trawling the Isthmian Premier for players, you've got to think he had his eye on a few of our squad - that all the players the management wanted to keep are sticking around seems more and more impressive all the time.

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

They've all been to Braintree once alreadyo :D

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Sekajja leaving after all then. Big loss as he was excellent towards the end of last season.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  23. Moroccan Sunset

Very bad news. I know there were agents connected with Sekajja floating around at the end of the season so I'm not overly surprised. It's a shame as I really thought he suited us and vice versa, but we've got Dumaka who is a proven striker at this level so I don't think the goals will evaporate.

It all feels very reckless to me. Judging by Gavin's comments there's no concrete offers and it sounds like he's going on a bit of a wild goose chase. Lots of pro clubs 'show interest' in players without ever offering them a contract: that's largely what pre-season is all about, seeing what's available, who could be brought in, who could do a job there etc. I think he'd have been better off staying, continuing to play well for us and then the pro clubs will come and get you, rather than just seeing you as another trialist to sift through over the summer. This whole thing stinks of a pushy agent.

I wish Ibra the best of luck and I do hope he gets his pro contract. He always seemed like a nice kid and he was a good player for us, but this just feels very foolish. I hope I'm proved wrong.

24. AveryDave

If editor wants to disable my account on grounds of flagrantly tempting fate, I'll fully understand.

Proper kick in the cods to lose Sekajja. We now need two strikers who can genuinely push for the first XI, not easy to come by at the best of times.

25. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Gutting that he's trying his luck elsewhere.... but he's aiming to move onwards and upwards.

Reading between the lines it seems he may be having trials at other clubs, not yet having signed for one.
    So if things don't work out, with him having gone with Gavin's blessing, there is a chance of a return.

And if he does leave to a Football League side it's more publicity for us, so we will potentially attract more players of his calibre, so it's not all bad...

Pink Panther and YTC like this.
  26. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Yeah I think the fact that Gavin has consistently supported players moving upwards must make us a more attractive proposition, for younger players especially. I don't think there are many non-league teams who can point to so many players having moved to higher league teams.

27. Monkeygrinder's Organ

There's a thread discussing Sekajja as a potential signing on the Lincoln forum I post on, so his name is getting out there...

28. Pink Panther

I think he'd be a good fit for Lincoln. The Cowleys know all about our level of football after taking Concord from the Essex League to Conference South, so they'll trust an outstanding player from our league to make the grade, especially as he's been a pro before. Once Ibra began scoring goals and growing in confidence during the final month of last season he looked far too good for this league. He'd never played regular first team football until we gave him a chance - it was all development squad and loan spells.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  29. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Yeah I have to agree. I'm biased but I don't think there's anyone who'd be better than the Cowleys for a player looking to move up from a lower division. They'll have a really clear idea of the ability of anyone they sign and how they want them to fit into the team, and how to help them do that. And from a Lincoln point of view a goalscoring winger-come-striker would be a good fit for what the team needs.

I don't know there's actually anything in it though...

30. Pink Panther

I'll knock up a definitive list of the squad that can be amended as more comings and goings are confirmed. I'm assuming Mohomed Mohomed was already under contract for the forthcoming season, as he was only announced as signing his first contract shortly after his debut in February. I won't pack the list out by including Academy players who made the odd minor cup appearance. Each summer Gavin usually announces that two or three of these will be included in his First Team squad for the new season:

Confirmed as signed or retained for 2017/8:
    Preston Edwards
    Kenny Beaney
    Ashley Carew
    Michael Chambers
    Nyren Clunis
    Dumebi Dumaka
    Nathan Green
    Ibrahim Kargbo
    Jamie Mascoll
    Mohomed Mohomed
    Sanchez Ming
    Quade Taylor
    Gavin Tomlin
    Marc Weatherstone
    Anthony Acheampong (Maidstone United)
    Ricky Hayles (Welling United)

Unconfirmed:
    Jacob Erskine
    Josh Fernandes
    Ibra Sekajja
    Dereece Thompson
    Phil Wilson
    Harly Wise

Confirmed departures:
    Panutche Camara (Crawley Town)
    Matt Drage

darryl, AveryDave, dcdulwich and 5 others like this.