Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Train buff request: Track flooded between Bristol and Swindon - so which route am I taking?

editor

hiraethified
So I'm on a train from Cardiff to Paddington. It's just been announced that because of track flooding we'll be taking an alternative route and I can't work out what that route will be. We're at Bristol Parkway and the train will be leaving from the same direction it entered (i.e. the driver is swapping ends). We've been told the journey will now take 35-40 mins later. So where the heck are we going?

*explanatory maps welcome

Most obvious would be head towards Bristol Temple Meads, but turn left to do the curve round from Lawrence Hill before getting there, and join the line through Bath and Chippenham, which would get you to Swindon.

Image from the New Adlestrop Railway Atlas

bristol.png

National Rail Enquiries not reporting any particular problems - earlier broken down train near Bridgewater, causing problems between Temple Meads and Taunton, but that doesn't sound like what's happening there

editor

hiraethified
Most obvious would be head towards Bristol Temple Meads, but turn left to do the curve round from Lawrence Hill before getting there, and join the line through Bath and Chippenham, which would get you to Swindon.

Image from the New Adlestrop Railway Atlas

View attachment 195762

National Rail Enquiries not reporting any particular problems - earlier broken down train near Bridgewater, causing problems between Temple Meads and Taunton, but that doesn't sound like what's happening there
Track flooded apparently, which would make sense as it's been pissing down.

that is one of the bits of the GW main line that's prone to it.

i spent a week or two in spring 2014 running rail replacement coaches (or on some days, looking after coaches on stand-by) round soggier bits of the patch...

Riklet

procrastinación
Youre lucky there´s that handy detour there tbh! Couldnt have happened at a better place, still quite a fast line via Bath.

Tankus

living someone else's dream.
Via Bath .....Been on that run more than a few times due to Sunday engineering for electrification in years past ......then up through Stroud ' cause the feckin tunnels closed

davesgcr

Reading books
Just picked this up ! - congratulations , you have scratched the Bristol Loop and Dr Day's Junction .....(the chord which goes from the Filton route round towards Keynsham , Bath etc.)

The flooded track was cleared in the small hours of this morning , so it was quite serious.

editor

hiraethified
Just picked this up ! - congratulations , you have scratched the Bristol Loop and Dr Day's Junction .....(the chord which goes from the Filton route round towards Keynsham , Bath etc.)

The flooded track was cleared in the small hours of this morning , so it was quite serious.
My favourite ever Cardiff diversion:

Banbury railway station: fog, semaphore signals and trainspotters