1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trad 'Full English' Cafe Recommendation, Brixton and surrounds?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by OvalhouseDB, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I remember it well. When we moved back to London I was gutted to see it had closed its doors. The cowboy had the dubious addition of a burger pattie to your normal breakfast staples.

peterkro and sealion like this.
  2. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

3. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

That's how i remember it. The sandwiches on thick crusty bread was the draw for me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. sealion

5. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Electric Cafe - simply the best. I go out of my way to get my breakfast there whenever possible, it is quite simply perfection every time - and is run by the loveliest people imaginable - it's my desert island cafe.

twistedAM, gaijingirl and wurlycurly like this.
  6. shifting gears

It's decent - breakfasts are good value but not top notch - for instance they deep fry the sausage... but it's cheap, friendly and has decent lunch options as well - spag Bol, chilli, kebabs etc... for £6-7 you won't think about food for 6-7hrs which is top value in my book

(Lucky I checked before hitting "post", I'm a big fan of "slag bol" but I'm not sure about others )

twistedAM and jimbarkanoodle like this.
  7. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Bit of an outlier but for speed,quality & price this is the best i've found in S.London

Pop Inn cafe in Bermondsey, South Park Road. You don't go for the atmosphere, it's full of construction workers !

sealion likes this.
  8. sealion

I have used this place for years and years. Great food and friendly staff, a real community orientated place on the weekend with some funny old Bermondsey characters. I will be there on saturday on my way to Millwall.

9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

when i lived in Tulse Hill, i far preferred Castello's for my fry up's, which may sound like blasphemy to you, but i think with good reason.

Although a Portuguese restaurant, they do a English fry up very well, and the sausages and bacon were always very high quality. The portions are a beast, you'll struggle to finish a Jumbo English, which comes with free high quality coffee, toast all for £6.

Also they serve Portuguese beer, Super Bock or Sagres, which only costs £1.80 per bottle. So you can have a beer with your fry up, which is exactly what i want to do on a Saturday morning.

wurlycurly likes this.
  10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I'm not too keen on Castello's for a FEB but I do go there for a proper sit down, tablecloths and all, dinner from time to time with my colleagues who are all from S. America, Spain and Portugal. It's a *great* place for dinner.

11. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

The thing about a FEB is that you want easy access when hungover, so needs to be as close as possible to your bed. It's a very localised service IMO.

12. shifting gears

Sounds very nice but wild horses couldn't drag me away from the Electric. I normally have a breakfast which doesn't feature sausage (gasp), it has instead bacon and black pudding, along with bubble, beans, and tomatoes. I add in a fried slice cos that's what my doctor told me to do. So it's not overly heavy on the meat, which I like, but more importantly every single item is always cooked to absolute perfection, and the bubble is the best I've ever had. Pretty sure they use Cumberland sausages too, I'll clearly have to go and order a breakfast including sausage now and report back.

Anyway reading back through the thread I see I'm repeating what I posted some years ago... for clarity I have no ties to the EC other than it being my fave spot for a fry up

13. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

It's true that the bubble and squeak (healthy option :D) in the Electric is very good indeed.

14. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

:confused:Defo going to try the Electric, dunno why I've not been.

15. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I was in Sams Cafe about 6 weeks back. It was disappointing with sausages raw in the midddle. It was as busy as ever though so hopefully I was unlucky.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The all day veggie breakfast at San Marino is pretty good value for £6.95 - but you'll get cheaper at Sams and Barneys.