1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trad 'Full English' Cafe Recommendation, Brixton and surrounds?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by OvalhouseDB, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

wurlycurly likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They were absolutely delicious, thanks, and fantastic vaule. Be off with you food snob!

3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Too much of a lake! Needs reducing!

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had no problem reducing the plate down to an empty one.

Brixton Hatter and Orang Utan like this.
  5. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

The only thing wrong with that breakfast is the lack of meat.

wurlycurly likes this.
  6. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Electric Cafe in Tulse Hill is so great. But also the Portuguese cafe next to the white heart is very good value for money, "jumbo breakfast" inc tea is £6. Still the electric is my fave.

gaijingirl, Smick and shifting gears like this.
  7. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Anyone remember "the little Kitchen" in Clapham north? now that was a great greasy spoon.(it was rare not to see it chocker with builders)

8. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I disagree, those beans are standing up for the physically inferior tomatoes. They are hugging them, telling them they've got their back.

They've also got a left arm around the omelet saying "it doesn't look like you need me, but I'm here if you do".

To be fair the hash browns look a bit taken aback at the beany tide coming their way, wondering "fuck, is this red tide a friend or foe". They are only hash browns so they don't have the intelligence to work this out for themselves.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I like your interpretation there. :D

For the record, when Eme and I go to Sam's, we always share a cheese omelette (which is fooking delish), chips and beans with a couple of slices of toast and tea. Even when the plate is split into two we still end up with bigger portions than the Phoneix and it's massively cheaper. Tastier too.

10. Onket

So this isn't actually true, then-

You needed help. :p

11. Mr Retro

What are the Phoneix playing at? Move to new premises with all the charm of a squash court, reduce portion sizes, keep the price up? There are any number of places doing breakfast in the village now so there is much more competition too. They must have very loyal customers.

Onket and editor like this.
  12. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

I heartily agree about the Electric Cafe. My favourite fry-up, bar-none. Everything always cooked to perfection, glorious creamy bubble n squeak with a nice crust on, proper fried slice. And it's a family run business. And it's cheap. Well worth jumping on the bus to West Norwood for.

gaijingirl, BoxRoom and Thimble Queen like this.
  13. Thimble Queen

The family that run it are so nice as well :)

gaijingirl and shifting gears like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I used to LOVE the vibe of the old Phoenix but it now feels like a hospital canteen. I went back about three times but I just don't like it there. All those lights. My eyes!

Mr Retro and Thimble Queen like this.
  15. Thimble Queen

Agree. Apparently they've made the portions bigger again now tho so that's a positive.

innit likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Makes you wonder why they made them smaller in the first place. We had some really measly portions there. I'm not sure how it's doing these days, but a lot of my friends now give it a miss. That's a shame too, because I used to love hanging out there.

17. Thimble Queen

I thought it was pretty cheeky considering the prices went up at the same time. I never go there anymore either. It's not the same in the new place, it's like it's heart.

18. wjh

wjh Bill

Shush, don't want my local greasy spoon filling up with bubble n squeak seeking tourists from afar.

19. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

Yeah the Phoenix portions are back to their usual size, have been for a while :)

Badgers likes this.
  20. Onket

Still got the reduced menu?

21. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

Yeah (which is weird) but they'll cook you stuff not on the menu if you ask

22. Onket

I think they've lost my custom, tbh.

23. Mr Retro

Sams brilliant caff today was brilliantly full and brilliant

Attached Files:

Onket, colacubes, editor and 2 others like this.
  24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

As a general rule I never eat a meal which is starting back at me.

Mr Retro likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great to see the place so busy. It's fantastic value and the staff are really friendly.

colacubes likes this.
  26. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I went to the Electric this morning. Brilliant. I told him I didn't want mushrooms or tomatoes and was happy just to lose them but, at his suggestion, he swapped them for an extra sausage and egg.

Well worth it for anyone round this way and even worth taking a trip over for.

27. Thimble Queen

28. NewParkToad

NewParkToad Member

Angie'a on New Park Road. Got to love it. New recent extension to cope with demand.

han, leanderman and madolesance like this.
  29. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I've noticed a new place called The Recovery Café next to Angela's. Is that an extension of Angela's then, or a separate place?

Great username, btw

30. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Yeah Angela does a great bacon, cheese and mushroom sarnie. On toasted bread, perfect hangover cure.