1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trad 'Full English' Cafe Recommendation, Brixton and surrounds?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by OvalhouseDB, Jan 14, 2015.

1. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

Apologies: I know this is the subject of much discussion but I can't find an up to date recommendation for a typical 'Full English'. I have guests from NY who would like to have a proper café breakfast, of good quality and good atmosphere. Brixton / Streatham.

I'd love to send them to Pelliccis in Bethnal Green, but they have a plane to catch.

Phoenix? Vera Cruz? Somewhere in Streatham High Rd? Or Tulse Hill?

2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Why not full Englishwith a Brixton twist?

Negril on Brixton Hill gets my vote - they do Jerk Sausages which Mr SB raves about....

3. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

The Duck Egg cafe on coldharbour lane is very good

4. story

story Changing the facts

I'd say the Phoenix. Vera Cruz is too greasy IMO.

And the toast in the Phoenix is proper.

Duck Egg is good too, but pricey. And the toast isn't proper.

5. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Johnnies Cafe on Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction. They've just extended it again too, so loads of room.

Jangleballix, Miss-Shelf and Badgers like this.
  6. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Seconded.

ringo likes this.
  7. OvalhouseDB

Thank you!

The are off to the Phoenix, for ease of access and all the other factors you cite.

I like Duck Egg, too - but The phoenix better delivers an authentic caff experience, I think.

I must try Johnnies when I next go to C.A.F.E / Sunshine Arts at L'borough Junction.

Thank you all!

BoxRoom likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eggby likes this.
  9. OvalhouseDB

Oooh, that does look good. I might divert them

<<dithers>>

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

it's where I will be shortly :)

OvalhouseDB likes this.
  11. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

I quite like the Quality Cafe by the Brixton Academy. Nice Turkish family who run it. It's proper, lots of local construction workers, none of these bearded newcomers with difficult haircuts and always a copy of the Sun on the counter to get furious at. And it's cheap.. my breakfast is 2.50.

Sam's is good too. But Acre Lane itself aint great.

Nancy_Winks and Maharani like this.
  12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Beans touching tomatoes! Nooo!

OvalhouseDB likes this.
  13. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

The only thing that beans can touch is toast.

snowy_again, Badgers and OvalhouseDB like this.
  14. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Beans can touch EVERYTHING!

Jesus said.

wurlycurly and editor like this.
  15. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I'd second Sam's - it's just round the corner from us. However as most of my hangovers happen on a Sunday morning it's a shame it's only open Mon-Sat.

I hope I'm not the "odd local eccentric" mentioned in editor's review :hmm:

OvalhouseDB and editor like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

if the cap fits...

17. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

*shudders*

18. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

For a traditional caff style experience Sams Cafe is the best in the area hands down. Last time we were in there, there were 4 tables of scaffolders. Point made.

Agree about Sunday Winot.

19. Mr Retro

I'd a saved that situation by mushing the fucking beans into the tomato and then mush the beanato mix in turn into the right-most hash brown. Then the lot onto a bit of toast, brown sauce on top of that, unhinge the jaw and the lot goes in. Fucking have it, yeah?

elmpp, ebonics, Nancy_Winks and 2 others like this.
  20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

You sound like someone who would let baked bean juice mix with tomato ketchup.

21. Mr Retro

What kind of a filthy bastard do you think I am? Personal attack reported to the mods.

Ketchup doesn't go on the same plate as beans. It's brown sauce all the way in the presence of beans.

22. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Sema's at the bottom of Tulse Hill, just near the Hootenanny is BY FAR the best proper caff in the central-ish Brixton area.

Express Cafe in the market is the best in the actual centre.

The Phoenix has gone massively downhill since the moved to new premises and the less said about the poncey tiny portions at the Duck Egg the better.

Nanker Phelge, Badgers, Smick and 2 others like this.
  23. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Why did the Phoenix actually move? Been past the new one a few times but it doesn't look like much fun. Still, good to see that perpetually cool guy behind the counter there. Does he own it?

24. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

I reckon Fantasia cafe on Acre Lane is as good, if not better, than everything else mentioned above :) My current fave anyway.

25. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Yes, he's the owner.

They've moved because they'll make a lot more money from their old building by turning it into flats. Originally the plan was for flats above a revamped cafe on the ground floor but the temporary move down the road suddenly became 'we'll see' once the move had been made.

26. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

building work at the old place.

27. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I prefer smaller portions of better quality ingredients, myself. Can't eat huge plates of greasy food anymore. :oops:

28. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I'll have yours then, pass it over

29. Mr Retro

I wish I was you

wurlycurly, DietCokeGirl and Onket like this.
  30. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Express Cafe - yeuch, cheap ingredients and toast like cardboard. Once and never again
    Seema's I like - speedy service and crusty bread for toast.
    Fantasia good - bit pricey but good
    Duck Egg - expensive, but nice for a treat and nice coffee
    Johnnies - OK, but not that impressed as you lot have made me think I should have been...
    Vera Cruz - never eat there on a Friday, it's too busy and my omelette was like shoe leather. Otherwise, it's OK and good coffee :)

I'm with Mrs T - I'd rather pay a quid extra for a smaller portion, but of good quality

I think my favourite 'trad' cafe (so far) is the Crown Cafe out at Crown Point, West Norwood - bit far to travel though, so I only go if I'm working that way

Mr Retro and leanderman like this.