Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'transport' started by 100% masahiko, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

Which is why it's a key area for development effort. Hybrids can get way with lower charge densities than electric, so compromises can be made for longevity, so a bit disappointed to hear the Lexus battery only lasted 9 months.

2. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

I vaguely recall a plan to have 'powerpacks', much like gas bottles, available fully charged for swapping out. Would address some of the problems.

3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I’m going to be buying a car in the new year and these look good from a mpg perspective. They don’t appear to have got as much hate on here as they did seven or eight years ago so what’s the current view?

4. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

I’ve had a Prius for 11 years since new. Can’t fault it.

Just brought an Auris- same hybrid drive change slightly less funky exterior and interior. It’s also great.

PippinTook, Magnus McGinty and Poi E like this.
  5. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Ignore the hate excellent cars. Battery packs can be rebuilt or replaced by second hand ones and the rest of the car is pretty damn solid, hence being the choice of cab drivers (which is where the class-based derision comes from.)

8ball, Signal 11, A380 and 1 other person like this.
  6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Cab drivers generally choose wisely, if conservatively.

Just don't buy a new one which looks like it was sat in the car park when the triangle factory blew up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    PippinTook, Dogsauce and SpookyFrank like this.
  7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Our 2005 model still running strong, but then we’ve only done 25,000 miles.

A380 likes this.
  8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

This has dated well :p

8ball, SpookyFrank and A380 like this.
  9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Still better than buying a brand new Prius.

10. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I wouldn’t buy new. Well I couldn’t afford to for starters.

11. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I love the new Prius.:oops: The rear lights are cool. Like a samurai slashed them.

12. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Is the (70) mpg as good as is claimed?

13. A380

No, real word my Prius still does spot on 50 and the Auris about 55. You can get higher on longer runs. But on average this is whT you get. Ironically you really get what most non- hybrids claim are their levels, which arcslso bollocks.

14. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I did suspect it was bollocks. Tbh I’ll be mostly doing long distances in it as opposed to tootling around town.

15. A380

All
    Mpg figures are bollocks. It is a number after all that sits at the interface between advertising and the motor-trade both inhabited by lying charlatans...

Spymaster, PippinTook and Poi E like this.
  16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I’m not sure they can get away with blatant lying but what they can do is take their measurements from best scenario conditions on a rig in some warehouse test setting rather than on the actual road.

PippinTook and A380 like this.
  17. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Cheers for letting me know the actual mpg though.

A380 likes this.
  18. A380

This lot did for quite a long time in a related area.
    Volkswagen emissions scandal - Wikipedia

I’d still buy hybrids all day long though.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    PippinTook, Poi E and Magnus McGinty like this.
  19. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Other than the battery, is there anything else on these that dies? I guess some parts will age in the same way as a normal car, but it tends to be engine/transmission failure which renders those not economical to repair, and won’t be the same case on a Prius (assume the engine gets an easy life running at a constant rate). Do they rot at all (guess OK given they’re not a Ford)?

I’m hoping we can squeeze another couple of years out of the aging diesel estate (whilst the kids still need equipment lugging about) but after that something like a Prius would be good and might be in the right price range second hand for us.

A380 likes this.
  20. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

You could have quite a few accidents in that before anyone noticed.

21. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

They're a great car. I get 58mpg..and on long drives I have gotten 62mpg. I keep the battery image up on the dashboard so I see it charge as the car slows down and stops.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 3:28 AM
    A380 likes this.
  22. A380

Yay fellow Auris driver!

I should probably do that more. And not put it in perfomance mode on country roads trying to keep the power display flicking between red and green...

PippinTook likes this.
  23. A380

In 11years 80k miles in the Prius I have replaced the tyres, the back half of the exhaust and the automotive battery- it has a half size 12v battery which runs the car systems and is completely separate from the high voltage drive train cells.

A friend had one with 110k. They had a power cell fail and found someone in London who replaced it for about £200/300. You have to match cells to the life of the rest of the battery. I.e if a five year cell fails you have to replace it with an old cell that matches, you can’t just stick a new one in.( I think it’s charge discharge cycles that are the issue.)

There are people that buy up damaged Priuses and keep a selection of cells.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    8ball likes this.
  24. PippinTook

with Toyota hybrids, if you have the battery checked every year by Toyota they will check over any possible problems with it and replace it. It's a built in insurance once you have the check done every year.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 3:27 AM
    A380 likes this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

You should be watching the road, not the silly graphics on the dashboard. Those things should switch off when the car's moving.

PippinTook likes this.
  26. PippinTook

I only glance at it the way I'd glance at the speedometer.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 3:26 AM
  27. A380

Where would the fun be in that?

28. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Hmm. The sourcing of second hand cells (of exactly the right age) sounds a bit like spare parts hassle.

29. A380

I think that’s why there are companies set up to do it for you. And probably only an issue post 100 thousand miles or more.

existentialist likes this.
  30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Ah right. And that’s probably the point where I’d trade it in anyway.

E2a- at 100,000 miles, not the batteries failing.

A380 likes this.