Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'transport' started by 100% masahiko, Aug 16, 2010.

1. 100% masahiko

100% masahiko i is a professor and is magical like totoro

Anyone here drive one? What is it like?
    And what's the stereotype associated to a person who drives them?

2. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Tossermobile.

3. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

A person who is driven by idiotic trendy perceptions and so won't buy a small diesel which does 80mpg because it doesn't come with the same eco 'cred'.

4. 100% masahiko

Yeah, I was thinking that but isn't there lots of gadgetry in the car? £10 road tax and other stuff.

I mean, apart from vegans and hippies, don't good people drive em?

5. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

vegans, hippies and hollywood actors.

Decent enough car just driven by smug cunts generally.

dave

6. ernestolynch

No

7. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Teachers car innit. Geography teachers mostly.

They are actually very popular with taxi drivers here. Taxi drivers generally know a good car.

8. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

Not as much gadgetry as in one of these:
    [​IMG]

9. ernestolynch

Geog teachers don't believe that climate carbon crap. They tend to drive SAABs.

10. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

They're a decent enough car as they go....pretty spacious in the back for tall passengers, decent boot. The Prius is still pretty much first gen technology made to work well but not amaazing. As others said if economy and fuel consumption are your concerns look at a new turbo diesel or direct injection petrol engine.

11. 100% masahiko

http://www.autospies.com/news/Think...eage-Think-Again-ECO-Car-Or-An-EGO-Car-44158/

That made me laugh.

12. 100% masahiko

Yeah, she's considering because of the cheap running costs, not just the MPG alone. The 5 year warranty. And she's not a fast driver so performance isn't that important.

You driven one? What is it like to run?

13. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Yep driven one for a few hundred miles and they're nice on the motorway...tad gutless at first but fine. Around the city it comes into its own though although when pulling away its weird to have no engine noise at all...I kept reaching to hit the start button the first few times!

Def see if you can get a 24 hr test drive from the Toyota dealer if possible.

And for running costs for the size of car you get it is hard to beat as most decent turbo diesels are smaller base cars or the likes of a 3 series which is pricey to service.

14. Cobbles

Cobbles Banned Banned

So what?

Get a vehicle that's more than 25 years old - 0 VED to pay.

15. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

The no engine noise thing is 'very' disconcerting! I've driven one, it was alright. :)

16. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

There's a lot of misinformed hatred for these things in the British press. No, they're not god's gift, but neither are they comparable to a Polo BlueMotion! There aren't any comparably sized and equipped cars that get the same mileage. The Prius is either quit a bit larger, or quite a bit more luxurious than anything else getting a similar level of economy.

That said, I hate the bastards. But that's just me. :D

17. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

Apparently* they're the car of choice for drive by shootings in the US due to their silent running ability!

*according to the TV show 'weeds'

ska invita likes this.
  18. 100% masahiko

That is the car the wife is getting.
    I hate the thing personally.

It's horrible to look at.
    And depreciates like crazy.

19. Motown_ben

Motown_ben Well-Known Member

Im about to get one of these through work as a company car. Tax wise it should save me about a £100 a month so for that il happily take it instead of the 1.6 focus i have at the moment. I dont really like the looks of them but other thanthat im sure its no worse than the focus really.

20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Horrible car with a terrible environmental impact.

21. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Doesn't David Cameron drive one?

22. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Randy certainly drives one:

23. 100% masahiko

That and the lush smell of self-righteous vegan farts!!!

I love that episode.

24. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy I killed a man

Get a VW Bluemotion, either Polo or Golf. Much better fuel efficiency.

25. 100% masahiko

But they're too small.
    I'm won't be seen dead in a Prius - and gonna learn to ride a motorbike.
    The wife can go celebrity/ save the planet green as much as she wants.

26. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

If you want to be eco friendly buy a second hand diesel.

27. 100% masahiko

Yeah, was looking at the BMW 320d.
    It's a good all-rounder, and has nice lines...

But the tax on the things, running costs - the Prius wins...

28. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy I killed a man

They do Bluemotions for all their range tbh, so you could go for a Passat or something.

Also qualify for cheaper tax I *think*.

Used to work for a car place a couple of years back, when they first came out, and back then they did piss on all the other eco competitors.

29. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

We thought about buying an old one for the running costs - low tax, no congestion charge - but didn't get past the driving reports. The killer for us was that a lot of drivers reported bikes and pedestrians pulling/stepping out right in front of them in town because they couldn't hear the engine. Lots of bikes and pedestrians around us.

It's not great on fuel consumption, but then it never could be and there's no reason it would be. The electricity it uses is generated from the engine, and engine's are a massively inefficient way to generate electricity. If you could plug them in, it would make sense, but you can't. It's not a particularly green car - that's just a load of flannel. Flannel which gets you cheap tax though, so it is OK on running costs.

One thing I did like - but never got to test out - was that you get both engines working at higher speeds, so you get extra horsepower on the motorway. But I've not heard anything very impressive about the actual performance with both engines running.

This is what we did in the end.

30. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

My in-laws drive one, they are none of the above, they just, you know, give a shit.