1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Hotspur 2017/18 - Spurs are on their way to Wembley

Discussion in 'football' started by Cerberus, Aug 11, 2017.

1. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I am now the one tweaking your leg.

Badgers likes this.
  2. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

Maybe that's what was wrong with Wanyama.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

I have to take issue with you over the Wembley 'hoodoo' thing Corax.

Of course the club, once committed to one year at Wembley, have had to put a brave face on it and maintain the party line - I.e 'no voodoo here, been practicing on the same size pitch at the training ground, players are experienced pro's' etc. They have no choice.

On here and elsewhere though we can tell the truth. It's not our home ground, we are having trouble adjusting to it and the upshot might be a lot of home points dropped (compared your the last few years).

Reasons:

The pitch, being much larger - some 600 sq metres - means a slight change in style from our swashbuckling pacy attacks and high pressing game.

Lines of sight - feng shui stuff. I heard Lee Dixon (of all people) on this and he said he knew exactly where he was on the pitch at Highbury with a small glance sideways at the stands. The move to the Emirates threw him off kilter

Lack of atmosphere...not sure how it sounded on telly but up in the gods yesterday the crowd noise wasn't focussed or coherent...it lost its power a la The Emirates or Olympic Stadium.

The woeful record must be playing on the minds of the squad and management. If not before yesterday's game, then certainly now.

And lastly it just isn't our home. The neutrality of the venue (& its history) will suit opponents perfectly and detract from us.

We didn't really have any other options though and it isn't really anyone's fault - we just have to accept it as a club and battle on to try to make the best of it. I think as supporters we can admit that there is a 'problem' with playing at Wembley - but take your broader point that it can't be used as an excuse (by the club) for poor performances there...

4. Corax

We're going to 'drop points' compared to last year definitely - we were unbeaten at home FFS. But we showed against Chelsea - even with your list of factors - that we're very capable of playing our brand of football very effectively. None of the deciding factors against last year's champions had anything to do with lines of sight or pitch size.

The only potential factor will be believing the media bullshit. And it's not just "the club" saying it's bullshit either - it's Ian Wright, Ruud Gullit, and many others.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

I happen to think otherwise re: the result of yesterday's game but we'll put all this to bed (well some of it anyway) with a result v Burnley.

Wanyama did have a shocker yesterday and in hindsight I'm sure Poch wouldn't have rushed him back from injury. We played a flat back 4 v the barcodes but the switch to 3-5-2-1 meant that Dier (who was almost as culpable as Wanyama for giving the ball away) had to play alongside Verts and Toby. I agree that Winks would've been the better option.

Conte got (another) one over on Poch yesterday...and I'm sure the latter is seething.

One last thing....I know he has his detractors but Jansen must be fucked off with being bought on in the last minute having been chasing the game for nearly an hour...

Anyway...COYS and all that

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There's something rotten at the heart of Tottenham this season, Liverpool too.

Everton will finish higher than either of them.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel

Couple of tough games in there

8. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Four to be precise but if you take points off Dortmund which is do able imo you are through

9. Corax

I was in two minds about all the LB transfer talk. Sure, we sold Walker, but IMO he was over-valued and we got a good deal there. A good player, but often shockingly bad positionally, which his athletic prowess allowed him to recover from. Rob him of that - whether through age or injury - and he'd be pretty mediocre.

Trippier performed well last year, I thought. He's more than capable as first choice, with KWP as back-up, I thought. He can actually cross the ball for starters, which always seemed beyond Walker's grasp.

And then Sunday happened.

Fuck that - sign Aurier.

The added bonus with having an Aurier of course, is that he'll be handy in case of dementors.

10. Corax

How do I put this politely?

Oh, no. I neither can nor want to. WHAT THE FUCK IS SISSOKO DOING IN THE STARTING LINE-UP?

FFS.

11. Corax

1 - 0 but meh. Just bring Son on now FFS, this game is crying out for him.

12. Corax

Davinson has slotted RIGHT in. What a player. What a signing.

13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp