Tory excuses for homelessness

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Rob Ray, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

Apparently Heather Wheeler doesn't know exactly what's causing the problem of rising rough sleeping (but it's probably criminals and foreigners)

Homelessness minister: I don’t know why rough sleeper numbers are up

On an entirely different note, this is a graph from this year's Hackney council tax explainer on how borough costs have been rising:
    28872321_10154991644501741_5369521079272341504_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

3. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Self-cleaning oven, the whole bit.

Almost as if selling off social housing was somehow a false economy.

Almor, Slo-mo, crossthebreeze and 6 others like this.
  4. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

It's always criminals and foreigners or the worst of the worst foreign criminals.

5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

So in London has she not noticed there's hardly any provision for people with mental health problems, hardly any treatment for people with addictions, a shortage of cheap flats, no rental controls, squatting being illegal, and that most of the new properties being built are for the benefit of foreign oligarchs to keep their money in rather than for people to live in.

Wonder how Heather Wheeler missed all that.

6. SpookyFrank

The number of foreigners had increased by a factor of 11 since 2012 so this theory does fit the data.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  7. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the switch to universal credit and land lords not willing to accept Tennant's who receive UC unless they have a guarantor. Unfortunately lots of people(including ex offenders and 'foreigners') aren't able to get guarantors.

The amount of homeless in Leeds has risen exponentially over the last five years or so.

Sad really.

8. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

9. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

I was going to mention universal credit, too - along with lha rates already not being in line with market rents (at ALL) plus the benefit cap.
    The fucking cunts.

10. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

Thimble Queen and crossthebreeze like this.
  11. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Do you have a source for that? Migration is higher in recent years but that sounds high side to me.

Do you mean 11 times as many as in 2012, have I understood correctly?

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

probably sarcasm?

13. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

If you're homeless is there a national scheme to find you a place to live or is it just lumped on the local council?

14. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

local council afaik

Slo-mo likes this.
  15. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Yes, local council.

16. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Council. You need a local connection where you present as homeless (it's something like having lived there for at least 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years iirc). There are some exceptions eg. escaping DV.

If you don't have one you'll probably be offered a ticket paid for back to wherever you do have a local connection. Some councils will offer out of area accommodation to people who do have a local connection too - Brighton offered me a flat somewhere up in County Durham ~18 months ago rather than stay down here waiting for a hostel place, for example.

Even if you have a local connection and the council accept your homeless application, they don't actually have to offer you emergency accommodation unless you have a "priority need" - off the top of my head that includes having children who live with you or being pregnant, being aged 16/17 or slightly older and a care leaver, being homeless due to a fire or flood, or being a "vulnerable person" which includes disability among other things (meeting one of these criteria doesn't automatically mean you're classed as vulnerable though).

scifisam and ddraig like this.
  17. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Sounds like a brokerage scheme wouldn't work then because local councils would need to pay for it :(

18. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

The truth is she just doesn't care. It's just part of the slow anhilation of the poor and Ill by the Tories.

Almor and Slo-mo like this.
  19. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

i dont expect anything from the Tories but I do from Labour and Labour Councils have been appalling in this area.

seventh bullet, Chilli.s and Slo-mo like this.
  20. SpookyFrank

I was being sarcastic. Blaming immigrants doesn't fit the facts at all.

existentialist and Thimble Queen like this.
  21. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

And she (Wheeler) knows that. She also knows that lots of people don't know that, and will be happy to believe the lies and insinuations she is knowingly making, which will serve her purposes admirably. More hateful politicking.

Thimble Queen and SpookyFrank like this.
  22. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

On the other hand, it will lead to glorious scenes of right-wingers being owned on social media when people present the actual data, in easily-digested meme format, as a rebuttal to their hateful shite. Let's not resign ourselves to despair by convincing ourselves that the reactionary discourse will have things entirely their own way.

existentialist likes this.
  23. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I don't believe she cares, there's no profit to make out of homeless, until the hostel is closed and the site developed into luxury flats.

24. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Badgers and MadeInBedlam like this.
  25. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I've only just discovered this thread and am stunned to discover that my MP has actually done ANYTHING except run for re-election

Badgers likes this.
  26. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I would imagine there will be poor sods freezing to death on the streets this week. Tory voters are OK with this I guess.

yield, Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  27. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Badgers likes this.
  28. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox My gourd of choice

Should have applied to the bank of mum & dad. Only themselves to blame.

yield and Badgers like this.