Tory Death Spiral

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Kaka Tim, Jun 11, 2017.

1. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Yeah :(

Badgers likes this.
  2. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

There is some logic to making the original builder responsible for the on-going maintenance of the building. It theoretically focuses the mind to make sure they do the job properly first time around. Unfortunately as with most government contracts the main focus was making some very wealthy people a bit more wealthy.

3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Those fuckers were involved in the blacklisting scandal

'Blacklisted' union workers win payouts

If they do go bankrupt the government will have to step in and take on the public sector contracts which would be delicious, but they are probably too big to fail, more likely to be a government bail out.

crossthebreeze and Badgers like this.
  4. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Badgers likes this.
  5. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

https://reaction.life/nick-timothy-propped-pm-weird-plot-make-gavin-williamson-tory-leader/

After the election, there was no time to ask what it meant that a Prime Minister had allowed the government she ran to function in this fashion. The truth is that the Tory tribe was so traumatised by how close Corbyn had come to power that, once Timothy and Hill had been fired, the priority became patching together a government. That summer, Damian Green became de facto Deputy Prime Minister (he resigned late last year.) Gavin Barwell, a widely-liked former MP, became chief of staff. They steadied the situation, in alliance with the incredibly ambitious young chief whip Gavin Williamson. Then the chief whip post went to Williamson’s friend and ally Julian Smith when Williamson was promoted to Defence late last year. Barwell, Smith and Williamson are the key figures in keeping May afloat.

Alongside them, Timothy retained his great influence with May. He is an interesting policy thinker and he secured two newspaper columns to provide an outlet for his views. The reasonable proposition was that he knows May’s mind better than anyone other than her husband. Senior Tories find it incredible that he stepped straight from helping to lose the election to pontificating on what should be happening next, but such is Fleet Street. Timothy’s columns are insightful; they are sport. He holds grudges and wages war on his enemies. It is all very readable.

This week’s strange events should upend the core working assumption in the Tory parliamentary party. Until now it has been assumed that May is holding on in Number 10 reluctantly out of duty, to get through the next phase of Brexit, to then stand aside allowing an open competition between the very best of the party’s next generation. This turns out to be quite wrong. She will stay as long as she can and the reshuffle was limited by design to impede the emergence of too much fresh talent at cabinet level. Tory root and branch reconstruction is thus delayed dangerously. The small court around May is organising this.

6. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Are we going to run a sweepstake for when Ruth is going to run as an MP?

7. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

8. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

[​IMG]

do you mean me?

Libertad likes this.
  9. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Beat place I can see for this...TURD.

Tory MP Ben Bradley Suggests Unemployed People Should Have Vasectomies

10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I understand that nice mr mogg chap is now podcasting (reaching out to the yoof via social media stuff). Anyone seen it I wonder?

11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Thanks to your tip-off I listened to it. Under 20 minutes of audio, once a fortnight, in the format of some bloke from Conservative Home asking Mogg some questions. I cant imagine it satisfying all the Mogg needs of the youth, but then I might be incorrectly estimating the size of young fogeys appetite.

Its called the Moggcast and thats about as exciting as it gets. Actually the title is probably considerably more exciting than the content, and it might be under 20 mins long for safety reasons.

hash tag likes this.
  12. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

legibilityII.jpg

13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Badgers likes this.
  15. bemused

Badgers likes this.
  16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

27. bemused

I like him, no idea if he's any good but he didn't go to Eton so that's a tick in the box.

Badgers likes this.
  28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Looks like there are almost as many knives out for Williamson as there are for May right now.

Defence secretary refuses to answer questions about relationship with past colleague

There are too many nuggets strewn around the article for me to quote all the pertinent details.

agricola and Badgers like this.
  29. bemused

I'm not sure having an affair 15 years ago is really going to hold him back. He doesn't seem to be that liked in Tory land. Although I'd like to see some new faces, I really don't want another party leader who can have a free bus pass. I want some fresh faces to take the piss out of.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Badgers likes this.
  30. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

The flame that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

Badgers likes this.