Tory Death Spiral

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Kaka Tim, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Hopefully im not being too optimistic with the title but things are looking to be going increasingly pear shaped for the vermin.

As i read it, their disastrous election has left them fatally exposed to conflicting interests within their own ranks and at the mercy of the extremely loose cannons of the DUP.

You have the hard brexiters scrambling to keep their "vision" on track. Whislt the soft brexit faction are suddenly pushing their agenda. Which is not going to go down well with the daily mail brexit voter base.

you have the met liberal/square mile fan boy remainers like osbourne delighting in kicking the fuck out of may and presumably any brexiter replacement like boris.

You have a newly emboldened scottish tory party very keen to act a separate entity who are very anti-brexit and anti-DUP. (Ruth davidson may be playing a longer game to be tory leader as well).

you have farage threatening to bob back up the poltical u bend and shit on their electoral arithmetic.

This is being presided over by a prime minister who has zero authority, who is now derided and despised as a walking disaster by the entire party - but they have no credible replacement and they are about to embark on the brexit negotiations.

They are clearly going to struggle to get anything remotely contentious through the house of commons.

Im not sure how the mechanisms will work to bring it about - but i can see another election very likely within 6-18 months.

And then they really will be fucked. They have totally shat the bed with the voters. Their advantage was always their reputation for political and economic competence, stability and no-nonsense firmness. They were the ones who would be firm and resolute when dealing with the perfidious EUrocrats.

That is now all in the toilet - they are the coalition of chaos, incompetent bunglers who europe are now openly laughing at and who about to start tearing each other apart.

Arrogant buffoons who thought they could triumph with a "eat up your gruel if you know whats good for you" manifesto.

Politically they have run out of road with austerity and will have to tack left if they want to win. But will face the same problmes that labour did when they tried to be mini-me toriys - They have no convincing answers on stuff like the NHS or brexit.

They are now faced with a totally rejuvenated, united(ish) labour party who now look the more convincing party of government with every passing day.

I cant see a way out of this for them.

So - lets make this thread an ongoing heartwarming chronicle of the spats, backstabbing, u-turns, humiliations, pratfalls, cluster fucks, face palms and disintegrations of natural party of government until the day that vengeful voters hammer an electoral stake into its heart (if they can find it).

(obviously their will be another sequel as they always manage to arise again from the grave - but that could be some time off and lets enjoy the moment)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    mojo pixy, Nylock, Lucy Fur and 23 others like this.
  2. Kaka Tim

oh - and then you have the likely hood of the economy starting to tank feeding mass discontent with a useless, paralysed government.

mojo pixy, Tom A, muscovyduck and 3 others like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Natural party of government :D

4. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

I wonder how long it takes before the opinion polls show labour ahead?

5. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Already have.

muscovyduck, marty21, Bingo and 3 others like this.
  6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Been thinking about this a lot, and it's hard to see how it will happen, but i think it will too.

Got this so far: May is forced to resign. Boris probably next up. Proves very unpopular. No confidence vote in the Commons. Loses. Corbyn goes to queen to form minority gov. Does ok at the Brexit talks, then calls election. Win majority.

7. Pickman's model

The day the brexit talks start

Badgers, A380 and moochedit like this.
  8. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Link? I know they were catching up but i haven't seen any with labour in front yet.

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Check the polling thread. Latest survation has labor well ahead

moochedit likes this.
  10. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

11. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

12. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Regret, transience and disillusioned fortitude..

I remember the two elections in 1974 due to hung parliaments.
    The first in February saw the Unionist party's break their ties officially with the Tories over the previously installed Sunningdale agreement as well as being the first election following the UK joining the EEC. Funny how things turnabout.

13. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

This is SOP for the tories- it doesnt take much for them to revert to type when it gets shitty- you can pretty guarantee that the new inproved animal will be more cuddly - but cuddly through gritted teeth. they are adept at survival at any cost

14. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

This whole situation is comedy gold. The Ruth Davidson/Scots tory angle is one I hadn't anticipated but it could easily mean that even with a (somehow) tamed DUP May has a good chance of not getting anything through parliament. Could also make all the 'blame Scotland' idiots eat their words.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  15. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

The only thing that worries me is that Ruth Davidson could become leader of the Tories after being seen as some sort of internal opposition to May, she would do well or at least a lot better than any of the alternatives. That being, you're absolutely right, we have had over a decade now of anti-Scottish propaganda in Britain and that is another factor in play.

muscovyduck and frogwoman like this.
  16. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I doubt the parliamentary tory party would let Davidson become leader, even to save their own skins.

frogwoman and J Ed like this.
  17. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Just how bad a Tory is RD, anyway? Are we talking Varadkar style right wingery, or something not so bad?

frogwoman likes this.
  18. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

Good name for a band btw.

19. Kaka Tim

ruth davidson would have to win a westminster seat before she can become leader. not really feasible in the near future. shes a remainer too. shes a contendor for post brexit IMO.

emanymton likes this.
  20. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

I don't think she does, technically. It's just a very strong convention. That convention's never been tested since devolution though...

21. Pickman's model

Saw them support Ruddy Yurts in shepherds bush in 89

existentialist Libertad

22. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Seminal gig, shame about the pyrotechnics though.

23. Pickman's model

Yeh. Dying on the way to the gig :( RIP pyrotechnics

Badgers and Libertad like this.
  24. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

They were a shit band though.

25. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

There is no way either of the two main parties would ever have a leader who is not also an MP. Especially not if it means the party leader and the prime minister being different people.

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

That's what 'strong convention' means.

27. Pickman's model

True

Badgers likes this.
  28. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Hoefully more welfare 'reform' will be on hold.

29. Pickman's model

Thanks to your friends in the dup no doubt

Badgers likes this.
  30. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Thread title of year award, so far?
    :thumbs:

Badgers, mojo pixy, Nylock and 5 others like this.