Torquay Utd vs Dulwich Hamlet, Sat 23rd Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Scolly, Feb 7, 2019.

1. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Would just like to stick up for the Premier League here and say that judging by the number of phones in the air you see during the game, they don’t mind fans taking photos. Which makes Torquay’s rule even more ridiculous.

editor likes this.
  2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

It’s generally if you have a camera that can be used for commercial work. Lots of clubs have that rule that are not in the premier league

3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

4. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I'm only going off what Tom said and he seemed fairly certain that Cook wasn't enamoured with being subbed off. Can't speak first hand, wasn't there. For Tom to have made the comments in the first place made me assume Cook was clear in his reaction.

5. Cyclodunc

Dipo was being blatantly held back near the end when he was through on goal. Academic, I know.

6. TonyWalt

TonyWalt Well-Known Member

Cook didn't make much fuss being sub'd i thought...just plonked himelf on the bench in the dugout in a rather disappointed way.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I've never come across a ban on cameras in non league football and I've been taking pictures at hundreds of matches. Besides, Max's camera is definitely not what most people would call a 'professional' one.

What makes their petty, money-grubbing anti-fan campaign all the more ridiculous is that many small compact cameras and even high end smartphones are more than capable of producing images that are good enough for some commercial purposes. I've sold pictures to an art magazine that were taken on my smartphone and I've sold football images that were taken on a pocket camera.

Pink Panther likes this.
  8. Cyclodunc

I wasn’t questioning any of that. I was just explaining (regardless of how skewed I think the explanation is) why they don’t allow certain cameras into some grounds and that it’s not just premier league grounds that it applies to. I have been to clubs in league 2 who have that rule, which is where torquay played relatively recently. Barnet had quite strict photography rules when I was at a national league game of theirs a few years back. I also didn’t say max’s camera is “professional”.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    pettyboy likes this.
  9. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Sadly there are others. When the late Dave Fry was club photographer at Prescot Cables, he was banned from taking any action photos at AFC Telford United on the grounds they hadn't been notified of his name as an accredited photographer in advance. No unaccredited photography was allowed.

10. editor

Then they're wankers too, then.

Looks like they need a photographer now:

11. Cyclodunc

national league rules - Need accreditation to photograph pitchside

12. editor

But we're not talking about pitchside photography here. We're talking about the banning of ordinary fans taking pictures from the stands and the threatened confiscation of cameras.

Pink Panther likes this.
  13. Pink Panther

If you're referring to Max he doesn't photograph pitchside, he's just a paying spectator walking through the turnstiles with a camera. If you mean Dave Fry, Prescot have never been in the National League so that was either a Trophy game or before Telford were promoted to the National League.

I'm sure any National League club secretary will be aware of this rule and ensure that the necessary accreditation is obtained for an official club photographer for an away match at a National League club. (Just don't forget to bring suitable boots if it's a 3G pitch!)

14. Cyclodunc

I know who max is, yes. Again, just passing on info.

3G pitch boots rule only applies to specific clubs in my experience (Slough).

15. Cyclodunc

You weren’t re: Max. I was referring a further point.

16. editor

It's a really shitty way to treat paying customers and all the more fucking stupid because a large chunk of people in the crowd will quite likely have a half decent smartphone in their hands anyway. It's the work of petty, small minded, jobsworth clubs who are clearly far too big for their boots. The twats.

17. Pink Panther

It's probably down to (rather self-important) clubs telling their security personnel not to let "professional" photographers in without accreditation, and security personnel genuinely not understanding that a chunky camera in someone's bag does not represent a Leeds United style spying mission.

I fully understand any club restricting the number of people pitchside of the perimeter fence at any level, but as long as someone isn't attempting to get pitchside on an ad-hoc basis I really don't see why they shouldn't snap away from the terraces or seats. (As long as they're not plonking a bloody great tripod in front of other spectators like a few twats do at county cricket, but that's a whole different can of worms!)

editor likes this.
  18. editor

It's also incredibly short sighted too given the importance of photo sharing on social media as a valuable marketing tool for clubs.

Pink Panther likes this.
  19. Pink Panther

I genuinely believe a big part of the growth in Hamlet's attendance figures over the last 5-7 years is a result of your photo-blog type articles featuring a mixture of pitch and crowd shots that capture the matchday experience at Champion Hill. I've been attending games since the 1970's, but those images make it look like something I'd want to experience for myself if I wasn't already there.

Christian Burt, TonyWalt and editor like this.
  20. editor

I think you're overstating my influence but thank you - and it was always my cunning plan!

I figured that no one would give much of a fuck about photos of unknown non-league footballers chasing a ball so I made it my mission to 'sell' the non league experience in a way that would make it look interesting and attractive to others. Truth is, that wasn't such a hard task with Hamlet though because of the interesting fans and the welcoming and inclusive nature of the club and the people involved.

I would have really struggled to try and do the same thing at clubs like Welling and of course Torquay, with their crappy Big Time Charlie photo banning.

21. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the no photography rule is one that's now out of date, as to when it was a way to earn money and thus protecting the revenue of the professional photographer pitchside and also probably gives the home team first dibs on what photos get published, which is how it works in the bigger music venues and the bands/venue get to say which photos they want and only shows them at their best.
    But as mentioned nearly everyone's phone takes pictures so trying to protect that is very difficult these days.

editor and Pink Panther like this.
  22. Pink Panther

Yes, maybe 15 years ago that might have been effective, but you can't really stop an enthusiastic amateur from snatching a few good quality shots on a smartphone these days.

One of our long-term occasional supporters Paul Dennis was official club photographer for Wycombe Wanderers for a number of years. He once told me how infuriated he was that the club only used action photos where the shirt sponsor's logo was clearly visible, meaning much of his best work was wasted. That's a fucking 4th Division club.

Nivag and editor like this.
  23. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

For clarity the Telford v Prescot incident occurred whilst Telford were climbing back to the National League after the old club were taken out by their Chairman's company going bust. Dave was photographing from the terraces despite being the official club photographer. Sometimes he went pitch side other times he worked from the terraces. He was normally pitch side after that incident mind. I believe that was the only time he had issues in 15 or so years as their official photographer. He never had issues at rugby, either code, though he tended to cover amateur games.

I know Dave always considered the position of the sponsors logo in the image, and the amount of sky in the image to permit the proggie title to be fitted in, when selecting a shot for the cover of the Prescot proggie. They weren't stressed about that for the inside images though and left it up to him to provide images he was happy with and they'd fit in as many as they could. They did occasionally ask for an image of a specific player for the cover if there was a major article about him. I guess when you have a local sponsor giving a copy of each proggie to the sponsor is a wise investment so making sure their name is prominent on the cover makes sense. It seems a bit much to make sure it is prominent in every photo mind.

24. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Yes - totally agree - social media has been a very important factor in the reach and appeal of Dulwich Hamlet to new fans - and Brixton Buzz and Urban 75 fan forum has been a key element

editor likes this.
  25. Dodger

Dodger Well-Known Member

I took loads of photos on Saturday am I missing something here?

26. editor

Were you using a big camera? Perhaps you weren't standing in the same area as the fun-crunching anti-photography stewards.

27. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

28. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member