1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topless "lamp" posts around London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ska invita, Jan 2, 2017.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Especially around south london i see lots of metal posts, as high as a high lampost, often painted green, definitely with some age to them, but with nothing on top. It looks like whatever was on top has been cut off.

Thick metal, usually with some decorative features.

I used to think these had something to do with air raids, but ive no idea where i got the idea from.

Does anyone have any ideas? I saw a few today and should really have take a photo....maybe on google street view....
    yeah, heres one i saw today:
    post.jpg

sometimes theyre less ornate than that - just thick piping all the way up
    seems a bit high to be an old gas lamp

2. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Another possibility, other than gas / street lamps, is part of the support system for tramway overhead wires (catenary). Although the example pictured doesn't look too much like a tramway pole, and as they were usually cast iron they tended to be removed unless they were also used for signs / lighting.

E2A - for tram also read trolleybus !

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

there used to be a few that used sewer gas to power a street lamp - there seems only to be one left in London - more here

there are some more substantial ones that were vent pipes for underground public bogs which are now either unused or no longer there - article here

there are a very few around still but i agree this doesn't look like one.

there were clusters of them - mainly dating from the trolleybus era - around in the 80s for street lighting - anerley hill had them, as did quite a few bits of newham borough

5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Having a look through the stinkpipe collector, there apears to be no mention of Wandsworth, where we have plenty of these things.

6. Sea Star

Sea Star Not a cis person

I'm always happy to see my Blog still used as a reference tool. :D

Miss-Shelf, alan_, Libertad and 6 others like this.
  7. Sea Star

sorry - too far from home for me to really get to grips with that area - and not on the way to anywhere I went either. Though I did get passed a really thorough south London stinkpipe database by a guy who used to maintain them I never had time to do much with it. Though its still there, waiting for my retirement.

ricbake and lefteri like this.
  8. ska invita

is it really you!? Respect :thumbs:

Beckenham might not be the most exciting place in the world, but I think it might be the stinkpipe capital of the UK! They're everywhere...

lefteri and Sea Star like this.
  9. Sea Star

Yeah. It came to an end when I transitioned in 2013 and became far too busy to keep it going.
    I see loads of new ones all the time round Bromley and Beckham and it kind of goes against the grain not to photograph and log each one. :D

10. ska invita

It's gods work... Don't quit now....

krtek a houby, lefteri and Sea Star like this.
  11. Sea Star

I may well start again. I feel inspired.

12. Sea Star

The amazing thing about it is it got me onto BBC 6Music and a magazine ran profile on me as part of a series of people with eccentric hobbies and interests.

And I still see it being linked to by people who are far more educated and knowledgable than me - even in a newspaper once.

Definitely worth having another go i think. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Maggot, Libertad, kittyP and 6 others like this.
  13. lefteri

No way!! :D:thumbs:

Sea Star likes this.
  14. lefteri

Authoritative!

Chemical needs and Sea Star like this.
  15. Sea Star

bet you never expected me to be that person :p

lefteri likes this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

:)

17. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

Wow, random and wonderful at the same time.

Miss-Shelf and Sea Star like this.
  18. Puddy_Tat

i've only got one photo of obscure London tram related street furniture online.

(although there's not much of it left apart from manhole covers now)

i must try harder...

Maggot likes this.
  19. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Wow AuntiStella that's impressive!

I noticed this thread - partly because we have had a 'topless' lamp post outside our office for a few months, but not one of your kind (it's a new one which has been erected in stages by the council, the hole was dug last year and the pole put in the pavement a couple of months ago and has been completed with the actual lamp very recently).

I can't say I've ever noticed any of the Victorian ones around, certainly not in my original home city of Birmingham, so I checked with Google and found an article that says they were originally invented by a Brummie, Joseph Edmund Webb, who later opened an office in London.

20. Sea Star

oooh, link?

21. Sea Star

I'm going to have a dig around to try to find the full data base i was sent a few years ago - covers the whole of London - and then post it somewhere to make it publicly available.

22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

AuntiStella how :cool:

There is something similar down the road from me that I have not been able to work out what it is.
    I will try and get a photo and post it up.

Sea Star likes this.
  23. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

It was actually from the Northern Echo - nearer the end of the article Raising a stink

Sorry, rather a lot of annoying pop up ads!

Sea Star likes this.
  24. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Sea Star likes this.
  25. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I feel sure there's at least one in the centre of Bristol, but fatter and shorter, but I can't find it now - something to do with the covered-over harbour.

26. Sea Star

Annoyingly the last time I tried to log in to my stinkpipe account I had a different phone number, different email address, different name, different address and different gender identity - so it's not letting me in basically because i lost my password and failing all the security stuff to get the account back.

Setting up a new website now though which I will be posting stinkpipe stuff on at some point - including data-bases. Watch this space.

Miss-Shelf, Puddy_Tat and blossie33 like this.
  27. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Keep us posted AuntiStella. I enjoyed your blog and have a love of this sort of thing.

Sea Star likes this.
  28. ska invita

I spotted some pipes along Clacton promenade - like this one one
    Google Maps
    in good condition and at regular intervals
    Google Maps
    which means theres a sewer running right near the sea front, and which made me wonder if this is common to many a victorian seaside promenade

Sea Star likes this.
  29. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Yes, it will be. Most pipes, including sewers, run under roads and walkways where possible because you usually can't build over them and they can devalue land. Also, most used to finish with an outfall into a watercourse before new EU guidelines, which have become much stricter over the last couple of decades. (That's why you almost never see a frothy beach these days).

Sorry, I could bore for Britain.

Sea Star and blossie33 like this.
  30. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Sorry, I could bore for Britain.

:D not to me - I'm one of those people who loves interesting bits and pieces about all sorts of things :)

pogofish, Sea Star and Poot like this.