top metal albums of 2015, as chosen by dialectician

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by dialectician, Dec 21, 2015.

1. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

I know what my first choice is, but I don't know the order of the rest. completely random. we'll see.

2. dialectician

10. Mastery - Valis.

Sci-fi improvised (yes, you heard that correctly)
    noisy BM? The shadowy (and no doubt) solitary figure behind the even rawer and primitive improvisatory project Pandiscordian Necrogenesis provides us with 40 minutes of therapeutic aural catharsis. Very xen. Ugly, but calming.

3. dialectician

9. Imperial Triumphant - Abyssal Gods.

US psychedelic Black/Death with healthy nods to Krzysztof Penderecki. With some of the members of Pyrrhon in this decidedly less tech death outfit, you know it's going to be a stormer. Nowhere near as good as the Mother of Virtues, but even my number 1 for the year is not going to surpass TMV. Still, impressive bass and drum work, at a slower and ponderous pace. This isn't the type of record that'll envelop you in nothingness from the get go, it'll unwittingly drag you there.

mojo pixy likes this.
  4. dialectician

8. Howls of Ebb - The Marrow Veil.

3 partts Xhol Caravan. 1 part S/T This Heat. 2 parts 90s Burzum on a high dose acid trip. Garnish with a slice of demilich. Watch the universe dissolve in front of your eyes.

5. dialectician

7. Gnaw Their Tongues - Abyss of Longing Throats.

This scares me.

rutabowa, mojo pixy and ska invita like this.
  6. dialectician

6. Mgla - Exercises in futility.

Cliche black metal tropes in spades. But you know what? Just listen to that rhythm section and the way the atmospheric tremolo picking is employed with such adeptitude. Sometimes consummate simplicity and tried and tested methods are bliss. This is one orthodox BM release that will be with me for the next couple of years.

xslavearcx likes this.
  7. dialectician

5. Cowards - Rise to Infamy.

It's brash. It's hardcore. It's got sludgey breakdowns a plenty. But for extreme metal, this album is characteristically hooky. Not melodically pleasing, but it's punky metal that your grindcore hating friends could probably get down with. The tracks don't just blur into each other like an orgiastic cacophony. Many grindcore bands think that deploying 30 year old tropes makes them novel or extreme. It doesn't.

Did I also mention that it's French?

killer b likes this.
  8. dialectician

4. Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages.

God how I've missed gloomy British death metal with downtuned guitars. This is not a languid stoners affair for those who can't handle their skunk. This is raw, straight from the brutalism of old industrial England, quotidian and paranoid shit. Stoner rockers need not apply.

xslavearcx likes this.
  9. dialectician

3. Maruta - Remain Dystopian.

Sometimes the most progressive music emanates from ostensibly the most restricted genres. Take Maruta. Over 3 albums they've managed to make grindcore sound more more and more like the contorted dissonant monstrosities of Gorguts and Ulcerate. This is no exception. But with this album there is absolutely no reprieve. every frantic chord change, every dissonant squeak reminds you that it is defeat that you must learn to prepare for. This is so ugly by grindcore standards that it is bound to alienate many goregrind fans. This is art terrorism, not noise for noise's sake.

xslavearcx likes this.
  10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Shouldn't this be in the Christmas forum? :mad:

Yuwipi Woman and ska invita like this.
  11. dialectician

2. Lychgate - An Antidote for the Glass Pill.

these past few years have been a treat for avant-garde and leftfield metal. Murmur's zeuhl metal effort from last year, the pyrrhon album, the first choice in this list, and this.

How to describe something so utterly strange. Viking Choral chamber dissonant doomy metal punctuated with Univers zero's existential dread? Something like that, at any rate. Point being that you will no longer have to shudder when someone mentions classical influences in metal and want to gouge your eyes out when the results sound like an update on ELP or Genesis. This list is lacking in doom metal and this album is the reason why. When you've heard something like this most 2015 doom sounds utterly tame in comparison.

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  12. dialectician

1. PSUDOKU - Planetarisk Sudoku

I'm not even going to try and describe this. I'll let the bandcamp promo blurb of the album do that for you. All I'll say is this is the most ebullient and euphoric thing I've heard this year, resplendent with squeaky saxophones. Far more Euphoric than any rave music of recent. If your partner doesn't like this, it's a sure sign that you should dump him/her/them. This is the sound of your boddy being electrified in space - this is the sound of zeuhl meeting grindcore.

13. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Great thread, nice choices!
    I want to add a few more off the top of my head, there are a dozen or more I'm forgetting, no doubt:

Horrendous ''Anareta'' - Progressive Death Metal of the most fantastic kind, this may be my AotY as a matter of fact:

Domovoyd ''Domovoyd'' (though their first album Oh Sensibility is even better) - tripped-out psychedelic stoner / black metal (kinda) a bit like Oranssi Pazuzu and also from Finland.

Sunset in the Twelfth House ''Mozaic'' - Some may find this boring but I love the chilled atmos and lack of vocals. Sorry for the ''playlist'' but nobody's uploaded the whole album yet...

Slugdge ''Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms'' - The third album from this UK death/sludge band themed around invertebrates. Seems whimsical but it's actually way way better than it might appear from my description. I like my metal with a sense of humour.

...and so far 2016 has been excellent, but that's for another thread...

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  14. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Metal doesn't recognise Christmas

15. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

:hmm:

512GTCyDefL.jpg

:D

mojo pixy and nogojones like this.
  16. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

17. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Metal. Christmas. :D

18. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

sick thread, thanks.

19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

20. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

There's always a bit of filler in these sort of compilation albums :(:D

21. hash tag

hash tag never too old

RE Dave Grohl, ever heard probot. Knocked me for six first time I heard it :thumbs:

22. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Here you go

23. copliker

copliker ...

They're playing here in a few days but appear to be a little bit nazi.

Two Mgła Shows Have Been Canceled Amidst Ties to NSBM | MetalSucks

dialectician likes this.
  24. dialectician

25. dialectician

there's a reason why i stopped listening to this music lol half of it becomes researching whether x or Y is a fascist dipshit.