Tooting Groundshare

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by 59robbery, May 8, 2018.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Cost us the playoff final. I still love him :)

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It is. He gave away a second goal just before half-time that left us with a mountain to climb instead of turning around at 0-1 (as we did against Hendon this time) but that's still no guarantee that we'd have actually won. Bognor were the better side on the day and we didn't create enough scoring chances.

My overall verdict on Drage is that there was a bit of the "too clever by half" about him. He's a gifted ball-playing centre back ideally suited to our way of playing, but he just seemed to devote too much energy towards chirping at referees, niggling opponents, making a meal of being fouled, committing needless petulant fouls that wouldn't have gained any real advantage even if he'd got away with them, and which sometimes cost us a goal from the free kick or penalty. If he'd as been as focused on the task in hand as the players who replaced him this season (Rickie Hayles and Anthony Acheampong) he'd be a much better player, because he certainly isn't a technically inferior footballer .

3. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

He was a decent player I thought. But Hamlet's defence this year has been well organised and full of aggro. Really impressive. They sat on Hendon beautifully.

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

He was an excellent scapegoat for us not getting promoted last season.

5. Poids

Poids Well-Known Member

This is it for me. We were second-best that day and never really looked like having enough to get past a very strong Bognor side who were unlucky not to go up automatically and finished 12 points ahead of us.

6. Pink Panther

And he looked like one of those bloody hipsters with his beard and skinnyfit trousers that didn't reach his ankles.

Jamie Wyatt and StephenMac like this.
  7. YTC

YTC Human Man

AKA me, on Monday.

8. Pink Panther

Thanks for everything you've done to keep the club alive, but you're ruining football!

9. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Tooting is good, but it will never be home for us.

A few improvements that could be made though:

Opening the toilets beside the 2nd half stand.
    Getting something to block out the wind coming through the back of the stand (could be temporary)?
    Maybe someway to get beer 2nd half without climbing up and down Everest?

10. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

I liked Drage but would agree that this season's defence has of course been a big step up. Drage was far from the only player who made mistakes last season though, so I don't think anyone could point at one player's individual errors and say they're the one that cost us promotion. Had the whole team played better and made fewer errors, perhaps we'd have won the league outright, or at least finished high enough to play the final at home instead of in Bognor. But I look back on last season pretty fondly - we had some great moments in the FA Trophy, some immense Carew free-kicks and also those wonderful Sekajja performances towards the end of the season, and it's when the bulk of this season's promotion-winning side came together and started to click.

If we're highlighting differences between this season and last season, I'd also say a significant number of players who played in both (Edwards, Weatherstone, Taylor, Chambers, Clunis) all stepped things up and had better seasons this year round and that's a big reason for our very deserved promotion.

mick mccartney, B.I.G and Taper like this.
  11. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

i thought the opposition was generally stronger last year , one exception obviously .

12. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

There's a spot by those far-end toilets/turnstiles with an old shipping container and tractor in. If they can be moved somewhere else, that'd make a brilliant spot for another food/drink stand.

Watching the freeloaders in the park next door is fun. It was one guy and his dog for the first match there, grew to a small crowd on Monday.

the 12th man likes this.
  13. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Was that a crowd bigger than Tooting get?

Noss and darryl like this.
  14. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

A shipping container you say?

MegaContainer.jpg

Lucy Fur, WillClunas, darryl and 2 others like this.
  15. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned in the Hendon matchday thread, but there was a bit of a problem during halftime in the playoff final of getting from one end of the ground to another. The side opposite the main stand is so narrow that many Dulwich fans were left with no choice but to hop the fence and walk across the side of the pitch to get to the other end - far from ideal for anyone.

Not looking to point the finger at anyone for this and nor do I have a solution. There are obviously going to be teething problems at a ground that isn't used to such a sudden boom in attendances (we had the same at Champion Hill). But I think this could be an issue next season, especially against sides like Torquay, Dartford, Welling etc. who are likely to travel in big numbers.

16. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

One way would be to get people to out of the ground and round the back, if the there are also big gates at the other end.
    Or instead of queuing at the bar for your half time pint just go round the ground slowly.
    But Monday was a HUGE gate, and their official ground record...I can't see us getting even half that for 'normal-big' games at the Kinky Stadium'.

editor and Pink Panther like this.
  17. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Did notice that the big gate at the end was padlocked on the day. Bit of a concern should there have been a need to use it...

18. Dulwich Mishi

Perhaps mention it to one of the stewards? I would hazard a guess everyone involved on a matchday isn't aware fully of the layout of their ground. In the case of an emergency Tooting people were on site. I am assuming they would have been ready with keys.

19. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to wager we'll get several crowds next season in the region of 2,000 and it would be in our interests to do so. We had over 1000 for a game against Dorking that was rained off about 15 minutes! As more and more people realise where we are now playing and how it's still (relatively) easy to get, I can't see why the crowd numbers won't continue to rise - as they have done progressively since we've been playing in Tooting.

Seems silly not to be prepared for bigger numbers.

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Looking at the teams in the conference south - we also need some stewards for the away fans - unless we want anarchy.

Dulwich Mishi and pettyboy like this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

As one of the volunteer stewards yourself...why not speak to your stewarding co-ordinator about this?

22. Dulwich Mishi

In what sense? Are you suggesting segregation? I would have thought simply stewards around the ground placed in spots game by game, on a needs by game basis?

23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

In that we need paid professional stewards for the away end. Ones with licences and ability to throw people out.

If we don’t there will be trouble.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’m not a volunteer steward anymore. You’re on the committee. Do what you want.

clog likes this.
  25. Dulwich Mishi

I'm not on the Committee, I've stood down.

Pink Panther likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Bad times. Like Liam :(

27. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Shame I thought you were a good steward. You should be promoted to head steward.

pompeydunc likes this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I don’t fancy thugs like at Walton Casuals trying to take my head off. Plus how many fights were in the conference south last year. More than enough.

29. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Never noticed Mel's legs in that photo before

takkforalt likes this.
  30. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Walton Casuals aren’t in the same division?